Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lewis And Bungels: Not NFL's Finest Hour

bulldog

I want the Lewis situation settled. That is best for him and for the Redskins. As a Skins fan, I am primarily interested in the latter :)

At the same time, when you look at the situation objectively, the NFL has to be kidding itself. Here you have a guy that was the DC on the best defense statistically in the modern era of the NFL just 2 years ago. He oversaw the #5 defense this year (and yes he had talent in both places, but who wins without it?).

And his only option as a head coach is the Bungels, the NFL's version of the Bad News Bears? Come on...............

The Jaguars are more interested in Bob Stoops? Except for the fact he has been in charge of a college program for a few nanoseconds, what does this guy have on Lewis?...........both are defensive minds, and you can't tell me that having been a top producer on the NFL level that that doesn't put Lewis light years ahead............

What made me feel sorry for Lewis this morning was the article in the WP where they were describing the Bengals front office and administration as being the NFL's version of the Mom & Pop Grocery Store :laugh:

WP:

"Lewis has spoken to Bengals officials this week after returning from a family vacation, sources said. He interviewed for the job last week. According to sources, Lewis has several strong supporters in the team's family-run front office, including executive vice president Katie Blackburn and her husband, Troy, the Bengals' director of business development. Sources continued to say that Lewis had a solid chance of getting the job"

Katie and Troy? How wonderful...........the modern day Muffy and Buffy................

Geez, all they need is an Uncle Bill :laugh:

I guess that is Mike Brown :D

True enough. But it tends to be the worst franchises that go through coaches like Kleenex, so he was most likely going to be a candidate for coach for some bad franchise somewhere. Plus, this year several head coaching spots surprisingly did not become available: Seattle, Detroit, Minnesota. All of those would be regarded as better situations than Cincy.

Clearly Stoops is a more qualified candidate than Lewis:rolleyes: I guess the Bungles F.O. may be more "culturally comfortable" with someone that looks like them. :rolleyes: :mad:

In any event, I'd rather the whole thing were just over so my 'Skins can get on with it.

It also figures that the Bengals have focused on the two qualified candidates that they can probably pay the least. Coughlin won't get top dollar because Jacksonville still is on the hook for his contract -- whatever the Bengals pay him just gets deducted from what Jacksonville has to pay. So there's no incentive to pay Coughlin much.

Lewis -- as a candidate w/o head coaching experience, and as a candidate whose past two years have been a soap opera about "why can't Marvin Lewis get a head coaching job" -- has eroded his bargaining position to zero. If the Bengals offer him the job and he turns it down for monetary reasons, he'll be the joke of the league. So the Bengals can offer him chump change, and he'll have to take it.

Right now, the behind-the-scenes talks are probably a "bidding war" between Lewis and Coughlin:

Coughlin: "OK, I'll take $100,000 a year."

Lewis: "$50,000 a year"

Coughlin: "$20,000"

Lewis: "I'll work for free, but you have to tell everyone you're paying me $2 million a year."

Coughlin: "I'll do the team's laundry at my house."

Lewis: "I'll mow the practice fields."

:doh:

It boggles the mind that the Bengals are attracting fairly good talent to be their head coach with Mike Brown still in charge. That job's a dead end with him there. And even if the hope is that he'll step down soon as GM and hire a real football GM, that would probably mean that that new GM would want to bring in his own head coach. It's a no-win situation. :shootinth

Why isn't Stoops more qualified? He took over an also ran and brought them back to a national power.

That being said... TOM COUGHLIN? Are you kidding me? If Coughlin gets the job over Lewis it is an absolute shame.

And this new NFL policy of having to interview a minority candidate does a disservice to everyone, most of all Lewis and Dennis Green. The teams, so far, seem to have made Lewis and Green take time out of their schedules to play a role in a charade. We all should be upset by this. Not as black, white, green, purple... but as human beings.

Archived