Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lewis: 'We Established a Foundation'

Thinking Skins

Originally posted by redman

When healthy, Lavar is the best tackler on the team. Period. Even as a rookie, when he got his hands on people, they went down, often with authority. Tackling is not his problem.

Discipline, knowledge of the defense and injuries have been his problems. When he plays undisciplines, he overruns plays and is in no position to tackle. He often looks quite bad as ball carriers will simply cut back and run right by him. The fact that he's had to learn new defenses each year in the NFL - defenses that utilize him in very different ways BTW - coupled with his natural tendency to want to freelance, leads to these problems.

But stay off of tackling fundamentals. When it comes to that, Lavar is a beast!

Redman, you are a hell of a poster and I got nutin but respect. I just finished kissing rump in another thread, but here you are wrong. LaVaar's problem is with his tackling skills. THe guy overpersues, overcommits and uses his huge arms to clothesline people way too much.He's made a career out of it. He is also the most talensted player in the league hands down. Vick may surpass him, but if Lavaar could get this down he would be the best defensive player ever.

Watch any of this seasons games over and you'll see how he fails to wrap people up, overestimates their position on the field and underestimates their speed compared to his. He's been a beast his whole life! I saw him play in high school while I was in college at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. His talent freaked everyone out including Joe paterno. No one ever thought the guy needed to be taught basics because he was able to dominate from his raw skill. He could be so much better if he learned to be a bit more patient and not just rely on his raw ability.

Archived