Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watson and Betts: Interchangeable Parts?

MRMADD

ASF,

I beleive I was the first to mention watson's superiority as a pass catching back, so I will elaborate.

I think we're both right. Betts is excellent at the swing pass and screen pass because of the hip rotation you're talking about. It is a definate strength and shows up in his running game as well. Where watson has an edge is in the little curl routes that spurrier likes to run. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that watson has been much more open on these routes than betts has been, and has typically been able to get more yards after catch on these curl routes. Betts is often swamped by a linebacker. So I think watson is the better reciever when running reciever type routes, but betts may be the better at running back type routes (i.e. the swing and screen) But watson is very good at these as well.

How about that?

-DB

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

I think we're both right. Betts is excellent at the swing pass and screen pass because of the hip rotation you're talking about. It is a definate strength and shows up in his running game as well. Where watson has an edge is in the little curl routes that spurrier likes to run. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that watson has been much more open on these routes than betts has been, and has typically been able to get more yards after catch on these curl routes. Betts is often swamped by a linebacker. So I think watson is the better reciever when running reciever type routes, but betts may be the better at running back type routes (i.e. the swing and screen) But watson is very good at these as well.

How about that?

This makes some logical sense: Watson played WR in college, and you say he is doing well on WR routes, but poorly on RB routes.

All I know is that on certain routes (especially the dumpoffs over the middle after a play-fake, but also swing passes and to a lesser extent, screens), Watson looks really bad and Betts looks great. I'm going to take your word on Watson looking good on WR-type routes -- for some reason I can't bring any of these to mind. But I'm sure that's my aging brain at work.

To boil this down, for the routes that matter to me for a RB, Betts looks better -- much better. I'll let the WRs run the WR routes. :)

That Guy:

And honestly after watching these last 2 games with these guys back there running, how could anyone want Davis back. I'd bet we broke more 10+ yard runs in those last 2 games then Davis had all year.

Umm... here's a quiz for ya: which RB has the longest run from scrimmage this year?

A. Betts

B. Watson

C. Davis

Would you be surprised to hear that it is C? Davis averages about a half yard per carry less than those two, but he has many more carries this year. Both of their numbers are vastly inflated by the last two games. I'm not saying it was a fluke, but I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment if we're judging these two guys based solely on those two games. Yes, both of them have decent defenses, but Davis almost single-handedly won the Tennessee game. Remember, the guy's been injured. He's not as washed-up as a lot of people believe. When he leaves, he's going to make some other team very happy.

I, for one, would love to see us renegotiate his contract and stay. His cap hit is $11m if we keep him next year, and $5.5m if we release him. Surely we can find a creative way to keep him and gain MORE cap room than we would by releasing him. Kind of a long shot, given the SB he had in his original contract, but not impossible.

Originally posted by MRMADD

By the way, is Betts a north-south guy or a guy who can make fluid changes of direction? Seems like if he can make fluid changes of direction, he's not a north-south guy, which implies that he's a 3 yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust straight-ahead runner.

I think they're more similar than different. It's not like Barry Sanders vs. John Riggins here.

Do your realize that a player can be a north-south runner and still be able to move fluidly in any direction. Terrell Davis was one, Preist Holmes is another, LaDanlian Tomlinson has this ability. A player being able to make moves while going north and south is still a north-south runner.

A north-south runner doesn't automatically imply "3 yards and a cloud of dust". 3 yards and a cloud of dust implys only that the back has power, size or both along with a straight ahead north-south running style a la Larry Czonka, Christian Okoye, Jerome Bettis.

Mrmadd

I agree with alot of things you say about Betts and Watson, but let's not judge Watson on the last two games. Watson came in relief for Davis in the Tenn game, Indy Game and performed well enough to keep drives alive to kill the clock. Much so to the delight of SS that he was awarded game balls from SS for those two games. I like the two and I think we are going to be happy with them.

It's hard for me to overlook a backup RB that finished up the season with a 4.6 avg with 500 plus yards rushing on just 117 carries. keep this in mind though, Watson is usually in when they need drives to run the clock. Even SS mentioned this in his latest Press Conf. on the 3rd and 6 play this week where he got 7..

I really don't care what rotation they go with, I just think the Two Young Guns, are going to do just fine. Add Gillespie to the mix, and I think our RB situation will be fine.

Rellim:

Do your realize that a player can be a north-south runner and still be able to move fluidly in any direction. Terrell Davis was one, Preist Holmes is another, LaDanlian Tomlinson has this ability. A player being able to make moves while going north and south is still a north-south runner.

No, they are NOT north-south runners. A north-south runner is a straight-ahead runner. Guys who "make moves" are east-west runners. See below.

Art:

Being able to make fluid, at speed directional changes does not mean you aren't a north-south type of runner.

Yes, it does. It makes you an east-west runner. You said he was an north-south runner. He's not. You can't change the definition to fit your argument.

Here's a definition for you, provided by the NFL:

<<Going In All Directions

Running backs are sometimes referred to as North-South runners and East-West runners. A North-South runner is a player who just goes straight ahead, focusing his attention on the hole rather than trying to fool the defense with his fancy footwork. They may not always get big gains, but they usually always get something.

East-West runners are the ones you see dodging the defense back and forth as they try to make their way toward the end zone. At times you may see them almost dancing around the field, going in every direction, turning, jumping and quickly making decisions on where to go next. Sometimes this can make for quite an exciting run. They may get stopped for losses on some plays, but they also can break off some very big runs.>>

Madd,

And Betts is more of a north-south guy. And, being capable of making changes in direction at speed doesn't mean you are an east-west runner. Emmitt Smith is a classic example of a north-south runner. Betts is that.

Mike Alstott is also a classic example of a north-south runner. So is Stephen Davis. Each has a ability to elude a tackler while maintaining upfield momentum. Alstott is more of the three yards and a cloud of dust. Betts has more of an ability to maintain his bearing and move without stopping his momentum, rather than strictly running over a guy.

But, what Betts is not, is a guy you see dancing around. That's why he's not like Watson, who is a guy you see doing that.

Archived