Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Couldn't have written this better myself

ljer

From ESPN Insider:

Don't forget about Portis: Jeremy Shockey seems to be well on his way toward becoming the best tight end in the game, and his confident attitude has been a breath of fresh air to a New York Giant franchise that is loaded with cool and calm players like Kerry Collins, Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan.

But the amount of saliva media types are using to anoint him the next great whatever is somewhat sickening. After watching the post-game comments following Saturday's playoff-clinching victory over the Philadelphia Eagles, everyone was clamoring for Shockey's name to be inscribed on the Rookie of the Year award.

This from a tight end who did lead the league in receptions (74) and yards (894), but scored only two touchdowns. Meanwhile, Denver's Clinton Portis, before Sunday's jaw-dropping, 228-yard performance against Arizona, had started only 11 games and rushed for 1,280 yards and 15 touchdowns. Yet, people were saying Shockey was the clear favorite for the award.

To make matters worse, when the ticker at the bottom of the TV screen displayed the score of the Giants-Eagles game, it listed Shockey's 10 catches for 98 yards and a score as the highlight of the game. Hello, Barber rushed for a career-high 203 yards and accounted for 73 more yards receiving. Where was his name? The media have become far too infatuated with Shockey.

This isn't an anti-Shockey diatribe. I think he's a special player. But it seems as though perspective is an afterthought when speaking of his accomplishments.

People, for whatever strange reason, eat up the WWF mentality. I guess when 1/2 your fans are morons (only 5% of skins fans) then that's the kind of football player you like to watch; loud, obnoxious, and ****y. I'm glad the redskins have advoided such players (cept for that Deion incident), and have stuck to class acts, like Monk, Green, Rypien, etc...

I think you're being unfair to Shockey. Shockey is, as a rookie, arguably the best TE in the NFL. I've seen plays from him that lead me to think he could become the best TE of all time. I also like his fire for the game, which seems more of a throwback beat-you-into-a-pulp aggression than the Dandy Deion look-at-my-pu$$y style.

As for Portis, sure he's been great, but he also plays a position whose contribution is always more significant. If you think Portis is the best RB in the NFL and has the potential to be the best RB of all time, then he's doing at his position what Shockey is doing at his.

I'm comfortable with either Portis or Shockey winning ROY. It certainly wouldn't be unfair for Shockey to win it -- otherwise, the implication would be that only glamour positions are eligible to win the award.

It's far easier to look impressive at TE than at RB. Granted, you have to be athletic and tough, and know how to run routes. But guys with those assets are the ones typically placed at WR or RB. The ones who choose to play TE with those assets are rewarded by being matched up against safeties and LB's in pass patterns. And despite all of the passing, if you top 50-60 receptions, and 500-600 yards as a TE, you're going to look like a stud. If you're better than that like Gonzalez and Sharpe have been, then you're a stud.

Shockey is an excellent athlete and competitor. However what Portis did against some nasty opposition this year, and in a shortened season (for him) is amazing. This strikes me as another example of New York media bias.

I can see why people have gotten caught up in the Shockey hype.

I personally love his game, I love how he runs with power and looks to knock people out instead of dancing around them. He plays with a ton of fire and heart, and wears his emotions on his sleeve.

What he's doing as a rookie TE is amazing. He's got speed, quickness, power and hands. He has the skills of a WR and the mentality of a fullback.

He is made for NY. They love a blue collar kind of player like him.

As much as I love his game, I hate his attitude. I have no problem with his intensity, but I could do without some of the jawing after every catch and his ****iness. Maybe that will tone down as he matures.

Bavaro used to be one of my favorite players in the league, Shockey would be too if it wasn't for his attitude.

Portis is having an amazing rookie season too, but Shockey is the kind of player that is revolutionizing his position.

What does revolutionizing his position mean? That's not only a cliche but a meaningless one. You mean that he's the first fast, athletic pass-catching TE? What about Tony Gonzalez? Todd Christensen? Kellen Winslow?

I'd only add that if it was so difficult to shine at TE as a pass-catcher, what's a washed up WR bust like Mikhael Ricks doing being successful there . . . on a team like the Lions?

...........and, how come nobody mentions Todd Heap, who may have better hands than Shockey.

I like Shockeys' "run 'em over" attitude too, but I could do without the theatrics after every five yard catch.

Are you listening Rod Gardner???......we're smart enough to know where the first down sticks are.

First off, I would like to disagree that it is easier to shine as a TE than a RB. How many outstanding TE's are there or have there been in history? RB gets a lot more of the bulk of work therefore has a much better chance to put up bigger numbers. TE's are not even second choices usually. It goes RB, than WR, than TE. Look at the running backs, Holmes had a lot of TD's before going out. Which position usually wins the scoring title? RB. Faulk, Smith, Holmes. Running backs are the ones who usually get most of the TD's.

As far as Portis' output this year. Each of the last few years, the Broncos have produced a different running back who had 1000+ yards and a high TD total. Terrell Davis, Mike Andersen, Olandis Gary. They showed that it isn't necessarily the running back but more the system. Now, don't get me wrong. What Portis has done this year is amazing. But it wasn't enough to get his team into the playoffs. I know we aren't talking about MVP here but if it wasn't for Shockey, I'm not sure the Giants get into the playoffs. Sure, Barber and Toomer had outstanding years but I believe Shockey was partially responsible for that. Especially considering the Giants have not had a viable number two receiver for weeks now.

I think if you look at every angle, what Shockey has done is more impressive as a TE than what Portis did as a RB in Denver where they produce a different 1000+ yard RB every year.

True, I'm a Giants fan and a big Shockey fan but I believe I made some valiant points. When was the last time the Giants had a TE with 70+ receptions and 800+ receiving yards? When was the last time the Broncos had a RB with Portis' numbers? Last year? The year before? And the year before?

True, I'm a Giants fan and a big Shockey fan but I believe I made some valiant points. When was the last time the Giants had a TE with 70+ receptions and 800+ receiving yards? When was the last time the Broncos had a RB with Portis' numbers? Last year? The year before? And the year before?

Well last year none of their backs had 1000 yards. Shockey had a great year, but he only scored 1 TD. How can he win it over a guy who scored 15. That's the bottom line right there.

Tom, I qualified my statement. I wrote that if you're fast and athletic, it's easier to shine at TE than RB. Most guys who are fast and athletic are groomed to be WR's, and if they're a certain size, then they usually become either FB's or perhaps offensive tackles. After all, despite all the passing, TE's remain afterthoughts in most offenses, Spurrier's being a perfect example of that phenomenon. But when they become TE's and are used as offensive weapons, they're able to shine more than your typical RB. I stand by my assertion.

Actually, Shockey had 2 TD's.

redman,

I understood what you were saying but, even being as big a target as Shockey was this year, his numbers still didn't even come close to the numbers of a good RB's. I don't think the TE position allows you to have those all world years as RB does. Emmitt, who had a big off year still had more yards than Shockey. That was my point. Your point is well taken but I think it takes someone extra special to make the TE position comparable to the WR position.

Archived