Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2007 season playcalling

IMO, we are gonna pound the rock over and over again, changing the pace with the two different backs. After the run game is established Cambell will be utilized in PA, where he is gonna air out the deep ball to Moss or Lloyd. I don't see Campbell being our Franchise and throwing the ball 30+ times a game, more like 23-26, and I think the majority of these will be shorter passes to CC or Moss. As far as gadget plays go, I think that we should use them more sparingly because the more frequently they are used the easier they come to predict. Just my 2 cents.

Guys, lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. If we're going to guess at the offensive schemes, then here's mine:

Gibbs will be true to the running game. Now that Saunders is fully aware of what both Clinton Ports, Ladell Betts, and Rock Cartwright can do, we may, later in the season, see passes to the running backs frequented. I assume this because the only proven talent in our receiver corps is Santana Moss. Not having seen much from Antwaan or Brandon, I don't expect too much from them this season. So, the team's increase in completed receptions very well may come from the offensive backfield. Bear in mind that it is this sort of offensive attack which made the Kansas City Chiefs so entertaining to watch, and so successfull.

We, of couse, let slip the talent of Mike Sellers. He's my favorite player thus far. Should he remain healthy, and I believe we'll see him in the game often enough, he will serve as a devastating lead blocker for Clinton, as he has in the pass. He can be the added protection for Jason Campbell on play action. You know that once the running game is working, play action assures containment of the opposing team's linebackers. Mike is also an accomplished receiver with sure hands with confidence. I would like to see more from this position; not just the blocking.

Antwaan Randel El: Gibbs has always been carefull with his kick and punt returners. He will not overtax them in position play, instead, save them for crucial special teams play. Having said that, I doubt we will see much of Antwaan and Rock in offensive schemes, barring injury to starters.

1. Run the ball effectively and often.

2. Initiate "play action", short passes, occasional long pass to stretch it out.

3. Inside the "red", run the ball to the right side.

4. Option short TD pass to either Chris Cooley or Mike.

Chris Cooley: since the first day I have seen him play, I knew this guy should be involved much more on offense. Never heard of him while he was in college, but while with the Skins, and since the team started using him, he has been exceedingly productive. Those short passes I mentioned is all about Cooley (again lets not forget Mike).

HAIL REDSKINS!

We will see more motion before the snap. Last year Saunders and Gibbs took a lot of it out as the offense hadn't fully grasped things. Same goes for trick plays.

Saunders will combine the power running of last year with the stuff that he is known for but didn't seem to work to well at the start of last season. You know, all the stuff that was too "fancy". Randle El will be used on laterals, misdirection plays and reverses and they will work.

We will start out the season with running to set up the pass (like the end of last season) and then progress into passing to set up the run. This is what Saunders system is all about - start with throwing the ball down the field. It’s the initial building block to everything he wants to do offensively.

That said, we will still have a balanced attack. Overall, the offense will be much more aggressive than conservative. Come out to stop the run, we will pass. Decide to slow down the passing attack and we will run. Top ten NFL offense if not top 5, bank on it.

Amen. I agree wholeheartedly. Saunders' offense is all about keeping defenses guessing. I'm talking about throwing bombs on 2nd and short, throwing on first down, running on 3rd and 8, etc. etc. The main ingredients of the offense are power running and deep passing plays... with lots of formations and shifts to confuse defenses

Like anyone else, the priority will be first to establish the running game with a healthy dose of Portis and Betts. We play some good defense's and this will not always obtainable of course and this is the situation which peaks my interest the most.

I think Al has some big things in mind for Lloyd, ARE, Moss and Cooley too without question considering he now has Jason to work with. Some days it will be a nice balance of the running game with some key play action. Other days Portis and Betts might carry the team along with the defense. And yet other times Jason will be called upon to lead the team to victory with his arm, feet and intellect.

I think this team is ready; I really do.

Archived