Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 25 Players of the past 25 years-USA Today (continuing series)

skinsaddict2621

Barry Sanders also holds the league record for most lost yardage in a career if I'm not mistaken. He definitely had his huge plays but it can be honestly argued that he hurt the Lions with his inconsistent style more than he helped them. His lost yardage put them into impossible positions and could have very well lost them a few games.

People can say all they want about Tom Brady being a sellout, media darling, hollywood boy, but the fact is is that he won three rings before he turned 28. He came from virtually nothing to create a dynasty by his own sheer will and moxie. People arguing for Barry over Brady are just being plain ridiculous. Brady's impact on the game will be felt much longer than Sanders'.

I'm more of a Barry guy and I do feel that Emmitt benefited from playing behind a great offensive line for most of his career. However, his performance in the season finale showdown against the Giants in 1993 with a seperated shoulder was one of the gutsiest performances I've ever seen. He did impose his will on the Giants in their own stadium and got the Cowboys a division title and homefield for the playoffs...............the ****. :D

Bruised shoulder. There's no way it was separated. This is the same guy that took himself out of half a game against the Vikings because he broke a finger! I'll never believe it was a separated shoulder - just a legend.

As for how he accumulated his yards, it wasn't so much his great offensive line, it was putting up about 80 yards in the 4th quarter of all the games they were blowing the other team out. The line was great, the team was great, he was great, but he and Sanders were in two very different situations.

first things first, this will be a long post, because its 5 am, and im too wasted to keep it short.

thereforse, i choose to wrtie my post player by player. lets go!

barry sanders: i will admit, i started watching football in 2000, so i never saw him play. However, from what i have seen online, or on television, wow, this man had moves and skill unlike any RB i have ever seen, be it live, replays or old footage. From what i know, sanders never had a consistent QB. defenses accont for this. If the defense knows you will run, so they stack 8 or more in the box, and you still run all over them, thats a HUGE feat. He could pull moves that would everyone jump out of their seat. Unparalleled mobility. Im sure back in the day it was a pleasure to watch him. He could juke you, make you miss, even the sheer fact that he "might" would play a serious mind game on the defender. Also, you have to take into account that he had no pasing game while he played. For the majority of his years, he was on a below .500 team. For him to accomplish what he did, especially 2000 yards is unbelievable.

Emmit Smith: How can you discredit a guy for doing what he is supposed to? All great RB's are supposed to run for lots of yards if their OL is superior. Him taking advantage of this is a claim to him being one of the greatest of all time. How can you fault someone for doing what they are supposed to do. He was givin a chance and he thrived on it. Thats is a characteristic on a great RB. But then again, he played with aikman to irvin. Now, was it aikman and irvin who established the passing game, or smith who established the running game. This is debatable. No one really knows for sure, except them and Norv.

Geez, if we wanna talk about the best RB ever, a case could be made for jim brown, gale sayers, walter payton and EVEN BO JACKSON. (you oldies know that bo was a FANTASTIC ATHLETE.) too bad he got cut short. i bet he would own so many records right now.

IMHO, i give the edge to sanders as the better RB. He was a better athlete, and imagine what he would have done if HE was in dallas instead of smith. This wouldnt be a debate right now.

-------------------------------

Tom Brady: Wow. what can be said about this man. A 6th round pick out of michigan who won the SB in his first year playing. Right away, the man has 3 SB, and what kind of supporting cast did he have? He had fauria, patten, branch, givens, brown, and (kevin) faulk. all STUDS:rolleyes: @ of his three SB wins came with him leading his team down the field with less then 90 seconds. After his first ring, the next year, ssure his team went 9-7 and did not make the playoffs, but he led the league in passing TD's. No one can say that his first year was a fluke cuz no one knew who he was. he proved it 2 more times that he is a champion. No QB in the league can distribute the ball like he does. Look at the 2006 season. he went to the AFC championship game with caldwell and watson as his 2 main targets. Look at 2005. He got screwed in the game vs. denver when baileys INT was not called a touchback. He makes everyone around him better, not the other way around. A first ballot, hof'er, and well deservered. Believe me, i hate the patriots, but what this man has done is nothing short of impossible.

Peyton Mannning: Will eventually go down as the greatest QB in the history of the game. However, at this point, he is not the greatest. He has led the league in td's in one season (49). He has so many seasons with over 4000 yards. He has won 5 straight AFC south titles. However, when it all matters, he has beaten brady once in the playoffs. And i think we can agree that this year the patriots self-destructed. nevertheless, the last two years, manning has owned brady. So that, to me, makes them even. Yet, brady has 3 SB's. Manning has 1. and what kind of cast has manning had? Edge, Harrison, Wayne and stockley. Nothing to sneeze at IMO. Sure manning is a 2 time MVP of the league. Regardless, when you factor in what him and other QB's have done, its obvious at this point that he should be ranked under other players.

EDGE: Hands down i give it to Brady. Just look at my analysis. Brady has proven it more then once. Don't get me wrong, manning is my fav player after portis, i just think that for now, brady is the clear winner here.

well anyways, so far on the list i agree with most of the spots. The only problem i have is that riggins wont be in the 25. Thats cool tho, i dont expect him to. It's just funny to see that for 12 YEARS he held the record for most TD's. Quite pathetic seeing as how we wont be on the lsit considering the criteria used so far

Emmitt, on the other hand, struck fear in my heart. He would just grind, grind, grind us down. Barry was explosive, but I also knew he's never really "take our heart out."

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: The only reason Emmitt was any good was because he had a AWESOME offensive line... Imagine Barry with Emmitts O-Line, he would of had well over 20,000 yards and smashed the rushing record...

:dallasuck

Archived