Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pressures QBs Face In First Full-time Role.

zCommander

Good read.....should be a mandatory read, IMO. Many on this board have unrealistic expectations for JC.

EDIT: I dont neccesarily agree with the article as it pertains to JC. Ramsey had some ups and many downs, and I feel like, as a fan base, we were pretty patient.

:doh: First the media bashes the team, NOW the fans!?

While I don't want to rile folks -- I've got to be honest. I suspect I'll be one of those "impatient" fans.

Sure, I will be expecting a lot of Campbell -- after all consider how much eveyone keeps building up Campbell as such as great QB. My main concern is that we've only got Joe Gibbs for two more years. Consequenly, I don't want Gibbs' opportunity at another Vince Lombardi trophy going down the tubes simply because Campbell needs more time to learn the NFL and his playbook. Campbell's got to be ready, now.

And why shouldn't we have high expectations? Remember that we used several high round picks to get Campbell in the first round. We moved Campbell up the roster over Collins, so he'd get the #2 QBs reps in 2006 and we replaced Brunell with him in 2006. Jason Campbell been groomed as the heir-apparent for the last two years. Well, now it's showtime. ...Sink or swim.

This isn't being unfairly harsh. When the 2007 NFL season starts, Campbell will have a lot of experience under his belt. He'll have had 3 years of pre-season, 2 years of regular season, and half a season as a bona-fide starter. Moreover, Campbell is playing behind a solid offensive line. He has a stellar supporting cast of Portis, Betts, Moss, Cooley, Sellars, ARE, as can draw from proven coaching skills of Al Saunders, Joe Bugel, and Joe Gibbs. Campbell has had time to get to know all his team-mates as the starting QB, and work out how to run the offense. A lot of other 1st round QBs have started with a lot less, and performed admirably.

Look, if Campbell wasn't ready yet -- then the Redskins should have sat him down, and traded for Trent Green, (Green could run Al Saunder's offense in his sleep.) However Washington made no move for Green -- so we must assume that Campbell is ready, and ready now!

Campbell needs to be ready--now--because his window of opportunity is very narrow. If Campbell plays badly enough that Brunell has to be brought back into some game, you can expect people to start pressing for Washington to draft a QB like Brian Brohm (Louisville) with their 2008 first rounder.

Perhaps Campbell doesn't bomb completely and instead stumbles through the season playing like Harrington did in Detroit. Even then, I expect strong pressure for some personnel change be made to give Gibbs a fighting chance for a Super Bowl win in his final season. A lot of fans wouldn't stand for Gibbs' final shot just be another year of Campbell continuing to learn about becoming an NFL quarterback. Moreover, the cap pressures on the team, point to 2008/2009 being the last years this team can retain all its high-priced elite players.

Campbell is going to need to come out of the gate strong and win fans over quickly. For Campbell, it's become the same situation as it is for Gibbs, ..."the future is now."

Archived