Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Job in the sports industry

Novus

My dream is to work in the sports industry.

I'm graduating college at the end of July and have been actively pursuing an entry-level position in either sales or marketing.

Anybody currently work for a franchise in any professional sport? Any job openings? :)

Internships seem to be the best way to get your foot in the door, especially with minor league teams.

Has anyone here ever worked for the REDSKINS?

yea man....I just graduated from FSU at the end of April.

RIght now im lookin at working for 102.1 the game fm (sports radio owned by Dan Snyder if you havent heard of it) in marketing, i havent started yet but should be soon and I am currently interning...welll...working without pay...for virginiapreps.com (Rivals) it basically covers all the local high school sports, recruits...stuff like that.

Yesterday i went to my first press conference, i attended the EJ Manuel press conference (five star qb just committed to FSU) and let me tell you..it was ****ing awesome...PM me if you want.

I have a friend who's currently interning for the Frederick Keys Minor League Baseball team. From what I've heard, major pro sport internships are really tough to get into, so I'd look at some of the minor league teams to start off.

My first job out of college was for a minor league baseball team, the Wilmington Blue Rocks in DE. I was a Sports Management major and a minor in business. I now work for a credit card company! need i say more?

The hours are brutal and the pay is worse! i was salary and one week during a 7 game homestand I tallied up the hours i worked and figured that i made $1.27/hr that week. no lie. that was when i knew it was time to start looking. i used to have to sleep at the stadium. Was it cool driving to work at a baseball park everyday? sure. but that wore off by august. they actually wanted to send me to work for the Skins once baseball was over. even though theyre my favorite team, i was sick of moving and had heard that the hours/pay were even worse.

Not trying to dampen your dreams but if you stick it out, and most importantly meet as many people as you can, you can get up in the ranks/salary/etc.... be willing to move alot in the first few years.

Best of luck!

My first job out of college was for a minor league baseball team, the Wilmington Blue Rocks in DE. I was a Sports Management major and a minor in business. I now work for a credit card company! need i say more?

Funny, I was working for a finance company while finishing school before I decided I wanted to go do something I'd enjoy more.

Has anyone ever heard of the sports placement program called GameFace (http://www.gamefacesportsjobs.com/)? It's a 2-week program in Oregon that teaches you the in ends and outs of the sports industry, and then sets up interviews with teams once you "graduate." They actually have been hiring a few Nationals and DC United employees. It's a lot of money, though. With airfare and tuition, it's going to be around $4,000 - $5,000. Ouch.

Yea, working in the sports industry can be tough. Especially when you're making under $30,000 for a minor league team with little to no benefits.

Although, it's something I've always wanted to and I know I would love it and be very good at my job.

the manager or something of the Chesapeake Tide posts here. I think Chesapeake Tide is his handle. Maybe you could contact him and see if he has an entry level position for now since you are just starting.

Personally I'm hoping to contact some sports agency soon and get an internship with them next summer.

Yea, I know.

I'm not really worried about that aspect.

Just being apart of a team is what I want. The atmosphere, the entertainment, the competition. Sports franchises are a business, so the team does their thing, and then my job would be to promote them and make sure the fans are entertained. The only team I would care to watch an entire game of would be the REDSKINS, anyway.

the way i see it, if you want to actually get to watch the games and cover them, you are going to have to be in the media or a coach or something along the lines of that...the rest will require you to work during the games, not watch them.

Archived