Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Mort lines from his chat

Southtown

In Chris Mortensen's chat last night he mentions a couple of Redskin items. His comment on Marty is interesting. Just some food for thought...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=2920

Barry , Fairfax VA: It seems probable that Stephen Davis will be a free agent at the end of the season. Which teams might be interested in his services for next season?

Chris Mortensen: (9:25 PM ET ) I can think of a few right off the bat: Dallas, Houston, Tampa Bay, Carolina, New England, Arizona, Detroit and maybe Phiully, just off the top of my head.

jay, virginia beach: mort, is it me or do the Redskins play as if they have no heart. I mean even the sorry teams seem to put a little more "bang' in theirgames when they have nothing to lose. I'm beginning to wonder whether Mr. Snyder really knows what he's doing.

Chris Mortensen: (9:52 PM ET ) I think Mr. Snyder really dropped the ball when he fired Schottenheimer. Bigtime mistake. The Redskins' heart can be questioned, although that young QB (Ramsey) sure showed a lot of heart last week.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Mort is a little 2 faced on this one.

I remember him talking up Spurrier all during the preseason and first half of the regular season how great the hiring was and how he thought we were headed to the playoffs. Now he pulls a 180. Putz.

Exactly. If he'd've eaten a little crow with this one I'd have a little more respect for him. For example, "I agreed with the decision to bring in Spurrier, but now it appears that Snyder has dropped the ball firing Schotty." Of course, eating crow isn't a component of "journalists." And SD can have Schotty all they want.

Marty is the safety pick. He gets you respectable and then the club levels out, falling short of being championship caliber.

Nothing in his approach to the game indicated to me last season that he would not have done the same thing here.

The Skins would have been 9-7 or better if Marty had returned but that may not have been good enough to make the playoffs with a lot of teams likely being 10 or 11 wins in the NFC.

One thing I do know. With Marty as the GM and HC, there was a big question as to whether the qb position would ever become solidified to the degree that would be necessary to be a top contender.

Remember he INHERITED Bernie Kosar in Cleveland and Carl Peterson traded for a 36 year old Joe Montana in KC.

And Drew Brees was already on the Chargers when Marty arrived in SD as well.

His unwillingness to look at changes on his offensive staff after the pitiful year we had in 2001 from scrimmage meant we were going to be limited in what we could do on this team going forward.

Archived