Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Craig Jarrett

thito_da_skins_fan

i don't think this has been talked about much, but i have been very impressed with our young punter... he's looked sharp in the 2 games he's played... wanna compare numbers?

Craig Jarrett

10 punts, 459 yards (45.9 avg), long of 74

4 returns, 35 yards (8.8 avg), 2 TB's

Bryan Barker

48 punts, 1,924 yards (40.1 avg), long of 63

27 returns, 386 yards (14.3 avg), 5 TB's

the best average in the league is 46.4 (Todd Sauerbrun)... Jarrett would rank 2nd among all punters in the NFL...

who wants to take a stab at who has the longest punt in the NFL this season? you guessed it - Craig Jarrett...

it's hard to base how good he will be on 10 punts, but if he continues to kick like he has, i think we have ourselves a punter... and the best part is he's a rookie... how great would it be to *finally* find a long-term solution for at least *one* of our kicking spots...

he may be a punter, but i'll be rooting for him... ;) :high:

Also don't forget his Net average (which may be more important than Gross average) of 38.4, which would place him 3rd behind Todd Sauerbrun (39.2) and Chris Mohr (38.8).

And he's only had one really crappy punt...27 yards against Philly.

often young kickers or punters will come in and look great for a few games and then tail off as Tuthill did. So it doesn't pay to get over-excited, kicking is a skill that requires mental toughness to work through dry spells and that pressure KO's a lot of promsing talents who go south after a quick start and don't recover.

That said, Jarrett IS the punter entering the offseason. At this point you HAVE to resign him for next season. At 23 and being a 2002 draft choice it would be stupid to release him and then go with a completely untested player to open minicamps and/or training camp.

Barker is gone. He knows that. He said in an interview more than a week ago that he would be fine in a couple of months to 'continue his career in the NFL'.

Note that he did not say continue his career with the Redskins :)

Originally posted by THiTo48

wasn't that because he was trying to pin them inside the 20? i could be wrong, but i don't remember him having a terrible punt...

No, it was just a bad punt. It was from our own 28 and was downed at the 45 of Philly. Check NFL.com's full play-by-play:

4-2-WAS28 (12:32) C.Jarrett punts 27 yards to PHI 45, Center-E.Albright, downed by WAS-L.Marshall.

Jarrett would be an exclusive rights free agent for us. All we'd have to do is offer him the minimum salary for a player with 1 year experience and he'd have to re-sign with us.

I'd like to see him get a couple of kickoffs in these last two games. Cortez's kickoffs have been pretty low and short.

i would like to take this time to apologize to Mr. Jarrett... by starting this thread before the season was over, i truly laid a jinx to your punting... please, not only forgive me, but also find a way to escape the curse i have brought upon you... i am still your fan and i will still be rooting for you... please Craig, do us all a favor (mainly myself) and return to your previous form... once again, i am sorry...

Wow -- re-reading this thread, you really did jinx him, and then some. Please, please do not praise me any time soon. JK!

In all seriousness, this is why most teams would rather stick with a veteran rather than gamble on a rookie. With the veteran, the leg may wear down and cost you a few yards per kick, but you rarely see an implosion like today. Also, even if a vet screws up one (which happens to most from time to time), you rarely worry about it going to their heads . . . I am now extremely worried about Jarrett's psyche going into the Boys game next week . . . thank goodness this wasn't the last game of the year for his sake (although for the rest of us, I wish it was) . . . he needs to get right back on that bucking bronco and cure his problems heading into the off-season.

Don't know about Cortez.

Didn't see the game, was listening to it through the magic of the internet, and didn't hear the 2 missed field goals.

Now I read in the Post that the misses were from 46 and 48 yards. I mean, really, those are 50/50 at the best of times. Can't get down on a guy for that.

Now, I don't know what his kickoffs are like (can't be bothered to check), but that doesn't sound like a guy to turf immediately.

Jarrett... what can I say, a brutal game. The kind that any of us could have had.

Cortez sucks

Jarrett suckED... i don't want to write him off just yet... i understand the logic of having a veteran punter, but how does a punter become a veteran? maybe he'll bounce back against Dallass and learn from the mistakes that he made... everyone is a rookie at one time or another and i'm sure everyone makes mistakes at one time or another... it's the great ones that learn from those mistakes and improve upon them as time goes on...

the thing i noticed about Jarrett was he drops the ball way too low to the ground as he kicks... what's the solution for that? a kicking coach -- something the Skins don't have... i was listening to the radio yesterday and they were talking about the same thing... this team is one of the few (maybe only) in the NFL that doesn't have a coach set aside for kickers/punters...

i'll give Jarrett the Dallass game and i'd like to see him against some veteran competition next training camp, but overall, i can't say "see ya" after one bad (ok, horrible) game...

Cortez didn't just miss those field goals by a little. They both were pushed way off target from the start of the kick. Both had the distance but were so far wide that they would have missed even if the goal posts were twice as wide. I don't like Cortez because he did the same kind of things in San Fran and his kickoffs aren't that great either. Get a new one for next year (maybe Santa will be nice and get us one for Xmas!) As for Jarrett, I say stick with the kid, I have seen some flashes from him, he'll come around.

From what I could see yesterday he was dropping the ball too high. The ball should be dropped from just below your waist straight in line with your thigh of your kicking leg. It looked like he was dropping it from almost chest level. Too much can go wrong with that much distance on the drop. Like the OL' ball coach says some one needs to "coach him up a bit".

Archived