Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Quotes from the park

Blade

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/2002/week15/quotes16.htm

Monday's Quotes From Redskins Park

Compiled by Gene Wang

Washingtonpost.com Correspondent

Web Posted: Monday, Dec. 16, 2002; 5:42 p.m. EST

Coach Steve Spurrier

Q: Do you stand by what you said about players not giving maximum effort?

A: I didn't say that. No, someone asked me a question, "Did it look like everybody was busting their tail?" And I said, "Well, you guys watch the game. You guys have got to write that." Overall as team do I think we can play with more effort? Yeah. Overall as a team I hope someday we can get a little bit more urgency, more intensity from when the ball is snapped until when the whistle is blown.

That fumble the other day, we fumbled the handoff, they fall on it, and all of our guys just stood around for a moment. No whistle. Whistle was never blown. And we act like we don't know the rules to pro football. You can get up and run with it. Even when he got up and ran with it, we should have tackled him. We had a couple guys hustling at him, but they sort of walled us off, whatever. It didn't look very nice. It was embarrassing for all of us, that play.

Q: Wouldn't you think 14 games into the season those things would be in place by now?

A: Yeah, you would think, you would think those things would be a little more in place with our entire team, but they're not. So, we're going to try to coach our guys as hard as we can these next two games. We'll be like most teams when the season's over, we'll see how we can try to get better.

Q: What does it mean that your team made a rally late in the game?

A: I don't know what it means except at least our guys kept playing there a bit, and Patrick [Ramsey] hit a few balls. Receivers made a few plays here and there. We kept playing through the fourth quarter. It's something we've not done very well most of the games this year, although Patrick the last two games, we've got three touchdowns in the fourth quarter the last two games. So that's encouraging. It's encouraging that Patrick hung in there and made some plays.

Q: Is surgery still scheduled for Stephen Davis?

A: I don't think surgery is scheduled now, but you'll have to talk with our trainer. From what he said you look at his situation next week to see if he's able to play.

Q: Is Stephen Davis just not a good fit for what you do?

A: Oh, I don't have the answer for that to tell you the truth. He's had a lot of carries this year. His first two were very good yesterday until he fumbled the second one, and his shoulder went out, and they got it at midfield.

Q: What did you think of Ladell Betts?

A: Ladell Betts I thought played pretty good in there. Obviously the handoff to where he never got the ball was very similar to the one that Patrick hit Stephen Davis with against Green Bay. Very similar, same play off left tackle area, and we fumbled that one and didn't get it back either. But Ladell ran up in there hard, didn't have a lot of good holes at times but played pretty decent. Screen passes we thought we could execute, didn't a get few out, threw a few behind, threw one late. Anyway, we're just a little off. You can call it coaching if you want to, you can call it whatever you like. You guys can write it the way you see it. But we've got hope we can play a lot better than we've played.

Q: Can you look back on the season and think of anything you would have done differently?

A: Oh, I don't have the answer for that right now. Obviously, we've played a lot of guys on offense, trying to give everyone an opportunity. We'll probably give Kipp Vickers an opportunity at guard. He hasn't played all year. He deserves a chance to go play. I don't know what we would have done differently.

Q: Do you feel there's more about the NFL you need to learn that you first thought?

A: Oh, those are questions that need to be addressed in two weeks. Two weeks from now we'll have an 11 o'clock press conference right here. We'll address all those questions at that time.

Q: Do you have a vision for the future where you want the team to be?

A: Hopefully, we have a vision where we can perform a lot better than we have recently. But again, I need to talk about that two weeks from now. We've got two games left. We've got the Houston Texans and then the Cowboys. We're going to see if can't win one this week. It's been a long time since we've won one.

Q: How aware are you of the fans' sentiment to keep Stephen Davis?

A: Well, that's something I need to answer in two weeks, too. There comes a point that coaches and owners and franchises can't just be sentimental. You have to try to get the best team you can on the field within your salary cap. That's what our obligation is to the fans ... field a team that's capable of competing and winning. And that's what we have to try to do.

© Copyright 2002 washingtonpost.com

So.....what's he trying to say? What's he mean by all that? :silly:

Rod Gardner is going to get cut? Davis is going to be traded for David Boston, a 2nd round pick and a player to be named later? S.S. is cutting the whole team and signing all Gators? Joe GIbbs is coming back as a consultant with Beathard as G.M.? Marvin Lewis drives an SUV? Snyder will fire S.S. and name himself coach? sigh.... too much to read in there... :silly::cheers:

That fumble the other day, we fumbled the handoff, they fall on it, and all of our guys just stood around for a moment. No whistle. Whistle was never blown. And we act like we don't know the rules to pro football. You can get up and run with it. Even when he got up and ran with it, we should have tackled him. We had a couple guys hustling at him, but they sort of walled us off, whatever. It didn't look very nice. It was embarrassing for all of us, that play.

After reading that I get the impression that there are a bunch of guys with sore a$$es after the game. I just have a feeling that may have cost a couple of the "bubble" guys thier jobs. Maybe, maybe not.

Just my opinion

Archived