Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving to Utah

Darth Tater

Took a verbal offer for a job out in Salt Lake as a consultant with the Utah DOT. What's the job market for data management professionals especially in DW and MDM? The office is around 2700 S and 4500 W, where would you say is the best place to rent? I'll be buying a place out there in the late fall, is that a good time? Any other thoughts would be great!

Took a verbal offer for a job out in Salt Lake as a consultant with the Utah DOT. What's the job market for data management professionals especially in DW and MDM? The office is around 2700 S and 4500 W, where would you say is the best place to rent? I'll be buying a place out there in the late fall, is that a good time? Any other thoughts would be great!

Congratulations. The job market out here is extremely strong. We are in the middle of a construction boom in residential and commercial. Which means for you is that UDOT is going to be responsible for building new roads and expanding existing ones. The state legislature this past session allocated in additional 750 million to roads and mass transit. Currently they trying to find a funding mechanism to funnel an additional billion dollars a year to transportation.

As for places to rent do you want a house or do you want an apartment? Also do want to be close to the nightlife? (No snickering out there people, we do have an nightlife and yes you can get drunk here!!!) As for buying a place it is getting more and more expensive by the day. Utah was number one in home appreciation for the first quarter of this year. In Salt Lake County, appreciation was up 19.3 % for the first quarter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Congratulations. The job market out here is extremely strong. We are in the middle of a construction boom in residential and commercial. Which means for you is that UDOT is going to be responsible for building new roads and expanding existing ones. The state legislature this past session allocated in additional 750 million to roads and mass transit. Currently they trying to find a funding mechanism to funnel an additional billion dollars a year to transportation.

As for places to rent do you want a house or do you want an apartment? Also do want to be close to the nightlife? (No snickering out there people, we do have an nightlife and yes you can get drunk here!!!) As for buying a place it is getting more and more expensive by the day. Utah was number one in home appreciation for the first quarter of this year. In Salt Lake County, appreciation was up 19.3 % for the first quarter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

I'm planning on renting an apartment fairly close to where I'll work (don't know what that means to you but in DC that'd mean less than 30 minutes, that means about 10 miles) for 5-6 months. I do plan to buy after I have some time to know if I like the area, the job (and it likes me) and my house here either sells or rents (not sure which I plan to do). Nightlife (live music is best) is good but of course a major concern is a place to watch Redskin games. I party once in awhile but mostly I hang at coffee shops, bookstores and on the internet (I guess, you can do that about anywhere). I'll probably be flying back to DC over the summer a bunch to get everything in order but I refuse to do the road-warrior schtick long-term again (unless they really give me a premium).

Thanks!

Archived