Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Super Bowl new date likely to be Feb. 3 with 12 playoff team format preserved.....

Tom [Giants fan]

Tagliabue: Super Bowl delay likely

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

The Super Bowl probably will be delayed a week and will be moved if a schedule change in New Orleans can't be arranged, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Sunday.

"I think it's very likely that it will be Feb. 3 instead of Jan. 27, in one way or another," Tagliabue said during halftime of the Giants-Chiefs game he attended in Kansas City. "I believe we'll be able to pick up the week that we've lost and play the entire postseason schedule."

Tagliabue said New Orleans remained the NFL's top choice but the league was prepared to move if need be.

"We're hopeful of doing that in New Orleans, but we have some other alternatives that would enable us to play the Super Bowl -- if it became necessary -- in Los Angeles or Miami, or Tampa," he said. "We'll be working very hard to get those issues resolved this week, if it's possible -- no promises."

When told of Tagliabue's comments, Doug Thornton, the Superdome's general manager, said: "We're still optimistic that it's going to be played in New Orleans, and working very hard with the NFL to cooperate and make it happen."

The NFL postponed its second week of games after the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington. It moved those games to the weekend of Jan. 5-7, which originally was scheduled for wild-card playoff games.

Aside from moving the Super Bowl to Feb. 3, the league has considered condensing a full playoffs, using midweek games, or canceling the wild-card weekend, with only four teams making the playoffs in each conference.

An automobile dealers convention is scheduled for New Orleans for the week following the current date of the Super Bowl, Jan. 27.

David Hyatt, executive director of the National Automobile Dealers Association, said Sunday he had not heard from the NFL since two conversations Tuesday and a faxed letter Wednesday.

"If the NFL were to get in touch, if Paul Tagliabue wants to pursue this, obviously we're not going to say no to further talks," he said. "But as of now there's been no further contact.

"The question then would remain, `Can we work out the details of it, some sort of an agreement that makes it a win for the NFL and overcomes the logistical nightmare of switching these events?' It's not easy. It's a lot tougher than it appears on the surface."

Tagliabue said the league would be working on plans with various officials in New Orleans this week.

"I think we'll be able to work it through so we can play the game in New Orleans," he said. "That will involve switching some other events down there.

"The one plan we've looked at which would have us play it in Los Angeles, Miami or Tampa, the two conference championship games would be played in New Orleans, probably on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon."

Hyatt said Wednesday's letter thanked NADA for considering the matter and recognized the decision was not "just inconvenience and logistics, but the viability of the entire convention."

But, he added, "We've never had any discussion of potential losses, the need to indemnify us of all liabilities. We've got over 600 signed contracts. These are all legal obligations.

"The obstacles are real. I think he's more aware of just how complicated and complex a matter it is."

Several NADA members, including the New Orleans Saints' Tom Benson, own all or part of NFL teams.

"America's car dealers are among the strongest supporters of the NFL. If we can accommodate them, that's what we want to do. But we're in a very awkward position," Hyatt said. "These conventions are not small. They're planned 10-plus years in advance."

I don't like it. I'd rather see them ditch the wild-card weekend or adjust the playoff schedule so that there isn't a two-week break between the NFC/AFC Championships and the Super Bowl. To take the Championships away from the home teams and to take the Super Bowl away from New Orleans just doens't seem right IMHO.

The one positive that could come of this ... a Super Bowl played on grass outdoors. I hate those things in domes.

[edited.gif by Brave on September 23, 2001.]

Brave,

There wouldn't be a two week break between the Championship games and the Super Bowl. There wasn't to begin with and all they are doing is moving everything back one week to have the make up of the week that was cancelled. The Championship games will be played Jan. 27 instead of the Super Bowl and than the Super Bowl will be played the following week. It is as everything was supposed to be but just one week later.

As far as I am concerned with the way the Skins are playing, switching to the one wildcard format this year would be no big deal in any event.

Of course for teams such as NY that is in a close battle with the Eagles that the expanded format is a extra cushion for the team's hopes. smile.gif

Archived