Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Crutches Suck (part Deux)

Quixote

So my foot has been hurting pretty bad for the past year, i previously had no idea as to why its started hurting. But without insurance, I've had no means by which to properly care for my mysterious injury. After gaining 30 lbs (from being so sedentary) and forcibly quitting a job while suffering the whole "no income" and inability to find a job that both caters to my school schedule and one at which I can sit on my ass, I've broken down. I went to the ER fully ready to incur the debt of uninsured health care.

As it turns out I've been walking on a fractured Talus and that I will more than likely need surgery and pins to repair. I'm uninsured, unemployeed, and a student. I'm on crutches now.

Still can't figure out "how I dun it"

anyone dealing with similar situations

Well ,my daughter fell and broke a splinter loose in her hip and continued walking and swim competition...finally broke down and had surgery :rolleyes:

Eight weeks so far on crutches,and after falling at school again(on the same hip) who knows?

ps: she goes to school in wheelchair now

I gave this advice before:

Buy a cheap plane ticket to the UK. When you get here, pretend you slip on something and go to the ER (exagerate the pain and discomfort so the x-ray you). They then should treat you for free and free hospital stay. And the hospitals here are very good...I can vouch for that.

Though a lot depends if your treatment is time important. Meaning, if you need surgery ASAP, you will get treated, regardless whether they can recoup the money from your insurance. If not, then they may send you on your way. Though it's very rare to be refused treatment in the UK.

Something to consider...

Update:

I won't know for sure until I get an MRI but there is a strong possibility that I may have to get my ankle fused. What looked like a fracture is now a "collapse."

ankle_osteoarthritis_treatment04.jpg

Obviously, I'm less than stoked with this.

I assume that if this comes to pass, a lot of my ambitions leave with the mobility of my left ankle.

Anybody here had their ankle fused? Whats it like?

And you don't know what caused this? That is scary.

Get it fixed and then work with the hospital to get the bill paid. I would wait until I got a bill and then call the office and say 'look, I can't pay this all at once, it needs to be broken down in payments". I think they are pretty flexible as long as they are getting something. Of course, this assumes you don't need to pay them before you walk...er, limp out of the hospital directly after surgery.

Archived