Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attention Eagles Fans! Banner Answering Our Concerns TODAY!

Number5

For those of you who live in Philadelphia or near, today I believe around 5 P.M. Joe Banner will be interviewed in studio by Howard Eskin. I know I planned my lunch break for that time and I will be calling! Look for Kenny from Yeadon.

Anyways, this what GCobb had to say about it...

http://gcobb.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=745&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

" Reid is no different than his quarterback. Both of them are not confrontational people. You could hear it in McNabb's nervous laugh last night, when he was criticizing the Birds for letting Stallworth go. Back to the front office, despite being small in stature Joe Banner is the toughest son of a gun in the Eagles front office. This is where the problem lies. Reid has not been willing to go into Banner's office and put his job on the line if necessary to consistently go after the talent he needs to win the big one. Don't get me wrong the Banner and the Birds have done a great job of negotiating, signing guys early and putting together a quality team. But there are times when you have to step outside that plan and grab a player who can put you over the top. Reid is a genius at game planning with mediocre receivers but he should have some type of veto power in certain situations over Banner. "

Now, I highlighted that part because last night on CSN, McNabb has interviewed, and was asked about his feelings about the team letting Stallworth go. Donny, who had already went on record and said he would re-structure his contract to help the Eagles keep Stallworth was upset saying,

"It's frustrating not being able to work with a WR for more than a year."

For the first time ever, I got the sense that he was truely frustrated with the team and the way the team handled Donte'.

how much is he charging to ask a question :)

:laugh: That was my first reaction, too!

The Eagles are such slaves to their business model. Their cap management strategy is the very definition of turning a virtue into a vice. It's like self-imposed cap hell.

The funny thing is, we saw in 2005 that w/o good QB play, the team isn't very good. Just another example that's it's all about the QB. If a team gets good performance from that position, it's almost automatically a playoff contender.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/articles/articlesNewsDetail.jsp?id=43290

I love how he throws a jab at the Redskins and Cowboys.

Here's a sampling of some previously published questions and Joe's responses:

We all know about the horrible experience of one certain player and dealing with his agent. However, I have to believe that most sports agents are reasonable people who want to do a good job for their client but also want to be able to work with team management. What are your general impressions?

- Frances

Joe Banner response: "My experience is that agents are overwhelmingly reasonable guys and not that hard to work with. We generally have very, very positive relationships. Occasionally, you'll run into a difficult guy or you will run into somebody who is more interested in how the deal looks for their career or their future, and that becomes a very difficult negotiation. But that's very much the exception.

"In general, I think that agents are bright and easy to get along with. Other than the fact that you'll occasionally have a difference of opinion as to what fair value is for a player, I find we have a relatively similar perspective. I think the relationship we have developed with the agents has created a situation where we know what to expect from them and they know what to expect from us, and that's helpful.

"If we have a particularly difficult negotiation, you try not to let it become personal. But you're human, so you have to get past that. It's a unique situation, in that you likely have to go back and negotiate with the same people repeated times. If you are a real estate developer, you buy a property from one person and you're probably never going to deal with that person again, so however that negotiation goes, that's the end of it. In this, we go back and negotiate with the same people over and over again, so you try to keep it as positive as you can."

I read in the last Eagles Insider that the Eagles organization spends its entire cap throughout the year and the rumor that we are the "cheapest" organization is "NOT TRUE". I am not attacking or second guessing the upper management decisions but if we are spending all our cap money then why are we always on the bubble, talent wise vs. teams like Washington or Dallas. I'm not saying we go out and buy every big name, but besides No. 5 and very few others, we don't have anyone who is a big name at a specialty position.

- Rick

Joe Banner response: "I find it interesting that you compare us to being on the short end of the talent compared to teams like Washington and Dallas, since it's seven years since either Washington or Dallas even won our division, much less advanced anywhere in the playoffs.

"If you scrutinized any of the teams in the league, including the teams in the Super Bowl, you would see that they don't have great players at every position and they don't have depth at every position. If they were to have any injuries, then their depth is tested. Do you know who the running back for Seattle would have been had Shaun Alexander been injured? The Patriots won a Super Bowl twice with Antowain Smith as their running back, and he had been released and hadn't started in years.

"The nature of our game is that you don't have 22 Pro Bowl starters and you don't have great backups at every position. The reality is that our performance on the field has shown that overall, whether it's for money reasons or talent evaluation reasons, we haven't taken a backseat to anybody in terms of the quality of the team we put on the field every year. It's kind of bewildering to compare us to teams that we have had success against over the years -- you would look at them and think they had superior talent.

"You refer to us as 'on the bubble' talent-wise with relation to Dallas and Washington when we've finished six of the last seven years ahead of both of those teams. We would also disagree that other than No. 5 we don't have quality players at specialty positions."

Does it take a longer time to gauge a player's ability to make it in the NFL depending on which position he plays?

- M. Light

Joe Banner response: "There are some differences, and we've seen a lot of quarterbacks who have actually played in the league for three or four years and you wonder if they're going to be any good and they turn out to be productive. Most positions, though, you have a read in the first year and then by the end of the second year you have a pretty good sense of what the player can do.

"Occasionally there is a player at a position who takes a longer time to develop, but you generally know within two years what that player can do."

THe Philadelphia Eagle Hour

Hosted by Howard Eskin

Guest: Joe Banner

Give them hell N5

Thanks jp....Me and N24 are writing up questions with rebuttals right now. But of course you are getting a shout out! Matter fact, the entire site is! :applause:

Banner should be shot in the thigh every time he makes a comment regarding football or talent evaluation.

Honestly, does anyone think he has a handle on how to effectively evaluate talent? Leave that to the football people. You work out the numbers with a number 2 pencil.

Joe Banner response:[/b] "I find it interesting that you compare us to being on the short end of the talent compared to teams like Washington and Dallas, since it's seven years since either Washington or Dallas even won our division, much less advanced anywhere in the playoffs.

It hasn't been seven years since we've advanced in the playoffs. But his point is still valid I guess.

Banner should be shot in the thigh every time he makes a comment regarding football or talent evaluation.

Honestly, does anyone think he has a handle on how to effectively evaluate talent? Leave that to the football people. You work out the numbers with a number 2 pencil.

I pray that he doesn't have any role in talent evaluation. The problem is, the way the Eagles do business, there grows a blurry line between financial matters and talent evaluation.

Joe Banner response: "I find it interesting that you compare us to being on the short end of the talent compared to teams like Washington and Dallas, since it's seven years since either Washington or Dallas even won our division, much less advanced anywhere in the playoffs.

smh @ the ignorance, not even recognizing our '05 run

and :laugh: @ him pulling the division title card... the Philly FO really does think just like the fanbase... division titles = Super Bowl wins :laugh:

I hate Howard Eskin. He has the listening comprehension of a freaking toddler. He's so hellbent on disagreeing with everyone and calling his callers fools that he never even understands what they're calling in to say in the first place. I just had to rip my head phones off at my cube, choosing instead to listen to the mind-numbing idiocy of office politics in my surrounding area.

I GOT DISCONNECTED TALKING WITH THE PRODUCER!

Why?

Because when they asked what I was going to talk about, I said, "The feelings of a paying Eagles fan frustrated with the lack of defensive additions regarding the FA agency period." The producer then responded by saying, "Good question, too bad today's talk is all abut Kevin Curtis." And hung up!

:cuss: :cuss:

Why?

Because when they asked what I was going to talk about, I said, "The feelings of a paying Eagles fan frustrated with the lack of defensive additions regarding the FA agency period." The producer then responded by saying, "Good question, too bad today's talk is all abut Kevin Curtis." And hung up!

Ask him about the Defense.

Cogong,Considine, and McCoy....are they the answer.

When do they address the defense?

Why?

Ouch. THat's rough. Good question though, I would like to have heard the answer.

Ask him about the Defense.

Cogong,Considine, and McCoy....are they the answer.

When do they address the defense?

Were going to go after Porter, but didn't think he'd fit the scheme.

Trying to trade for a LB (rumor has it being Max Jean-Giles for Vilma)

Most interesting thing said is that they would have signed Stallworth for the same deal Curtis got, but at first Drew wanted a 1 year deal. When the Eagles made their pitch, Drew never got back. So if anyone is actually to blame, its the agent.

Why?

You had to know they weren't putting that on the air with Banner.

Archived