Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Windows 2k3 Server password recovery

Coooleeey

Hey, I know there are some server admins here who can help me out :D

The lady I work with removed AD from our DC b/c it wasn't functioning correctly. Well when she built the box originally she made our admin account part of the AD users and computers and not a local account.

Now we are locked out. Usually I wouldn't care since we are in a test environment...but our IP database is on the server :doh:

We are running a Dell Poweredge 1750. The password recovery tool I have doesn't have the correct SCSI driver in order to properly boot and clear the admin password. I have scoured google for a different tool and can't seem to find what I need. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Why not just boot to an XP or 2k3 installation (slipstream the SCSI drivers) on another drive/partition so you can atleast access the original drive/partition and recover the data you need?

Beyond that, I'm not sure of any way to recover the password.

I'm trying to get around building another OS on another partition to save time although at this point its definitely breaking even.

Another way would be to figure out how to revert to a known good config. I don't know of a way to do that without logging into the system :)

I'm trying to get around building another OS on another partition to save time although at this point its definitely breaking even.

Another way would be to figure out how to revert to a known good config. I don't know of a way to do that without logging into the system :)

Well, if you haven't logged in since messing everything up you might be able to do Last Known Good Config at boot. Granted, I don't know if I've ever tried or seen that done with 2k3 (thats why you backup, after all).

Perhaps you could try booting with a Linux live CD (like Knoppix) and get to the files that way? It's been a while since I've done that, but it may work.

If you don't want to try that, this might also help: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Make sure you check the FAQ about using 3rd party drivers since it's a SCSI disk. You may have to use extra drivers to access the disks.

Archived