Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dec. 15: FB Mike Sellers

TK

Fun chat here. Mike likes to joke around, and he also likes to hurt Defensive players & lead by example.

Did we mention he likes to hurt Defensive players? :)

BIGG45:

Hi, Daddy,

This is me, Kaylin, writing to you. Your log in was already set in Nama's computer and we just guessed what your password was. Anyway, I love you and I hope you and I both have fans out there.

Bye Daddy, I love you. Nama took me to see Santa Claus 3 movie tonight and I laughed. We're going to bed now.

Love you,

Nuniee

Mike Sellers:

Hi Kaylin. I love you and I'll see you in a few weeks.

:helmet:

honorary_hog:

Mr. Sellers,

Thanks for taking time for the fans, and for all you do on the field. You've been an overachiever your whole life, going from Walla Walla CC to the NFL, and working your way back from the CFL to the NFL. Who taught you your work ethic and perseverance?

Thank you and stay healthy,

h_h

Mike Sellers:

It's pretty much my high school coaches and just being young. I mean when I was just eighteen, I had to fight, being the youngest player in the CFL, it just helped me keep that discipline to be working hard. So far it's worked out for me.

ES Staff:

Mike, the running game has blown up in the past few weeks behind Ladell Betts. In your opinion, what is the main reason for that? Has it simply been the result of a renewed commitment to the ground game, or are we seeing the Al Saunders offense really beginning to take hold and hopefully a sign of things to come?

Mike Sellers:

It's all of the above. We needed a swift kick in the butt and we got it from Coach Gibbs. We ran downhill and played Smash Mouth football which we call Redskins football and it's been working out for us real well.

the burgundy and gold:

Mike, whose running style do you like blocking for more, CP or Ladell Betts?

Mike Sellers:

You've got two awesome backs. I like blocking for 'em both. Ladell's a little bit more of a power type runner. A Fullback type with running back moves. CP's a slash. Extremely quick. I like blocking for 'em both because they both trust my blocks.

Follow up by MSJHWT:

Just to expand on this one a bit, Mike, how do you feel that their run styles effect how you setup & who you have to block, is it easier/harder for one back over the other?

Mike Sellers:

No, it's pretty much the same. They usually bring the Linebackers or whoever I'm hitting to me. They'll set it up so that it''ll make it easier on me. My job's just to get the blocks, so they're both pretty much the same.

Sherlock Holmes:

Mike, thanks for taking the time out to talk to the fans. As always, it is very much appreciated. I see you as a leader of this team. On special teams, you always seem to be near the action, and on offense your blocking, receiving and on occasions rushing with the football is always excellent. Do you consider yourself to be a leader of this football team?

Thanks,

Josh.

Mike Sellers: [Note: Mike's laughing pretty hard through the first half of this response.] :)

Ahh...I'm more of a prankster then a..Nah. You know what, I like to joke around a lot, but then again, a lot of the guys tend to listen to what I say and how I perform on the field. I guess I like to lead by example and that's been working out pretty well.

ES Staff:

Earlier in the year there was an ESPN article about tensions in the locker room and an "anonymous player" who complained about how some things are done here. To the fans, it caused a lot of concern. What kind of effect has it had in the locker room, and what if anything do you think will come from it in the off season?

Mike Sellers:

That's just Media trying to get a rise, start some controversy on the Team and it didn't work. None of us payed attention to it. It was addressed. Nothing happened from it. No one reacted from it. It was one of those things where the Media was trying to drive a wedge in between the Team. It didn't work.

the burgundy and gold:

Mike, what has impressed you the most about Jason Campbell thus far?

Mike Sellers:

His lips. Those big, juicy lips.

Nah. I'm just playin'. He's just calm and collected. He just goes out there and plays. He doesn't let anything fluster him.

Blondie:

Hey Mike, This is Blondie. In the past year, you have become a more dynamic player all around. I have heard you say more than once how you like to get out there and be physical. Do you see this team getting that attitude and playing the remainder of this season and next season some smash mouth football?

Oh, and happy holidays to you and yours.

Blondie

Mike Sellers:

Oh most definitely. That's our trademark. Just running through people. That's why we call Redskins Football smash-mouth football. That's what we've been doing and what we're going to get back to and what next year's going to be.

MSJHWT:

Mike,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to answer fan questions, it means a lot to us fans. My question is about the red zone offense and your involvement, we all loved seeing you become a Scoring Machine down there in the red zone, on the short pass; but have yet to see it this year. Is it something that we don't get to see in the new offense, or has there just not been an opportunity to run it yet?

Keep on playing hard, Mike, and know that the fans always support you!

Mike Sellers:

I've kinda exhausted that play anywhere in the Red Zone. Every team has been looking for it, so I really haven't had the chance. But next year, with more formations, more opportunities for me to get the ball and it'll just get better.

Drew_Fl:

Mr. Sellers,

First off, I think you're the best blocking back in the league. You get a lot of respect around here for your tough attitude and play, so thanks. As a beast of a fullback, what goes through your mind when you're in your stance and you're looking across the line right before the ball is snapped?

Mike Sellers:

How fast can I get to that person and hurt 'em. Plain and simple.

MonkFan8:

Hey Mike,

Thanks for taking time to answer our questions! Do you feel that when you rejoined the Skins in 2004 after your stint in the CFL that you had changed at all as a person or player? If so, can you describe how? Thanks again!

Mike Sellers:

Just going back to the CFL made me grow up more. Mature faster because I knew what I had to do to get back to the NFL and stay. I've grown as a person. Just the maturity level, I think, has gotten a lot stronger. And I've just been doing my job.

Chrisbob74:

Mike, you have played a lot of different roles in your career, I believe you played some defense in Canada and obviously you have played H-Back/TE/Fullback as well as teams. Every one of those roles includes laying the wood but what is the most satisfying type of hit (i.e., QB sack, big hit on teams, a crunching lead block)?

Mike Sellers:

A flatback. That's where nothing but the back of your neck hits the ground.

Inigo Montoya:

Mike,

What's it going to take to get our beloved team back on track? Last year was awesome and I can't believe how this year has turned out...

PS please beat the Rams, I could really use a week of braggin' here.

Mike Sellers:

It's a growth process. It's just one of those years where things aren't working out for us. It's like for the Steelers. They're having the same problems. We're just trying to finish out the season strong and go into next year with a winning attitude.

COOLeyCatchTds:

Mr. Sellers, I gotta say that I'm a huge fan, thanks for your no-nonsense type of play.

First, I know you are hugely appreciated in Skins country but it is my opinion that you are the most under-rated FB in all of football. Is this a contributing factor for your super tough style of play?

Second, its no secret that you're not the youngest (but not the oldest either ;) ) guy on the roster. How many more years do you believe we have the privilege of watching you help Portis take over the all time league leading rushing title?

Keep on smashing skulls, brother.

Mike Sellers:

Until they run me outta this League. I feel like I'm about 24-25. Knock on wood, I haven't had any injuries. Major injuries at all. I feel like I could play for another five, six, seven years.

the burgundy and gold:

Mike, i hope you know that you're one of the most liked players on the team by the fans, your a real fan favorite, keep up the good play! Here's my question...what's your best memory in this stay or your first time with the Redskins??

Mike Sellers:

Best memory. Hmmm....Just signing. My first workout with the Redskins and signing my first NFL contract. I think that's the biggest thing for me.

Note: there is one question that, tragically, went unasked:

ES Staff:

It's not an official ES chat unless we cover this. Clearly Skins fans love your style, Mike, but their IS something we should probably establish before taking the relationship to the next level. Gas, or charcoal?

Fortunately, based on all we have learned, observed and believe, we are comfortable publically presuming how Mr. Sellers would have answered this question. For our money, Mike’s a charcoal man, through and through.

Hail,

ES Staff

Archived