Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Sliding Board

LoyalSkinsFan

If I were to point to one particular item - positive OR negative - from yesterday's game that gives me sincere hope for the future of this franchise.....believe it or not....it's a negative.

Jason Campbell, simply put, does not have ANY idea how to slide.

There were at least three instances where JC had to scramble for his life and his team's first down and when it came time to either be hit or hit the dirt, he showed that he had no idea how to pull off the latter.

And you know what?

That made me sooooooo happy. Think about it....with all the little glimpses into his bright future that Campbell is giving us, when push comes to shove, he shows us again just how young and inexperienced he is. This cat is only going to get better. These games we're watching today are just precursers to what we all hope will be a long and successful career in Washington. Now that we're officially and "mathematically" eliminated from the playoffs, we can watch these remaining games with new eyes...without that horrible pressure brought on by success and by wins. We can watch simply for the enjoyment of the games and to see what progress our favorite team will make in understanding the schemes and systems it's apparently taken them a full season to absorb.

I'm excited, frankly. I turned on the news and opened up all the appropriate web pages this morning expecting to see yet another barbeque of the 'Skins...but instead, found a great many in the media and abound not so much excusing...but qualifying the loss. Many saw great good in the Eagles game offset by just enough bad. But still, the prevailing feeling was one of hope and promise.

You know, last year we went on an impressive run at the end...based almost entirely on solid defense, turnovers and a dominant running game. Welll this year, we've only got one out of three...no, make that one and a half. We've shown that the dominant running game still lives and breathes...and we've shown some decent enough defense....just not solid to the point of creating any turnovers, and that's the difference maker at every level. They sure were yesterday. And with that ends any discussion of playoffs.

The one thing we didn't have last year at any point, nor for most of this season, was a strong armed quarterback who could make you pay at any given moment. We aren't there yet, certainly...but we're not too far off, either. I'd say that we're really just a quick-read or an instinctive play away.

Yesterday, when Jason Campbell was forced out of the pocket, other than the words resounding in his head to "run like hell", he didn't really know what else to do when the thundering herds closed in on him.....not like an experienced and successful franchise quarterback would know. But next year, I hope, when he takes that first, easy, instinctive slide, I'm gonna have a big, wid grin on my face....'cause chances are, if he's gotten to the point where he can pull THAT off at the appropriate time, it's probably the case that he's got a lot of that other stuff down, too.

And that's gonna be fun to see.

HTTR

i was disappointed on the 3rd and long he didn't go for the 1st

Well, of course, there's that, too. But for now, we'll leave those to Brett Favre to pull headers on. For right now, I'm not too disappointed with that type of decision...he was about to get cranked (although it's hard to see that on TV) and I, for one, certainly wouldn't like to see him get carted off with a concussion just yet. 'Cause you can be sure, that if THAT were to happen, then Mark Brunell would get in the game...and he'd probably do well and lead us in a rally...and then, where the hell would THAT leave us?

Nope....baby steps......baby steps.

HTTR

i was disappointed on the 3rd and long he didn't go for the 1st

Quarterbacks are taught to slide or duck out of bounds to avoid big hits, sacrificing yardage for their health. He made the play he has been instructed to since his college days. But knowing that at 6-4, 230 you're bigger than a lot of linebackers in this league, and that you've got a yard and a half to go that you can probably earn by sticking your head in there and taking a shot, I would have like to see some guts. That's the difference between John Elway hurdling defenders into the endzone and getting flipped into a helicopter spin on the way down, and Joe Schmo quarterback who never wins the big game. JC has the tools to lift the team onto his back in that kind of situation. Hopefully it's something that will come to him with experience--knowing when it's okay to be a lttle reckless.

Archived