Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT - Read any good books lately?

All In

Hey Henry,

It's been years (decades? yikes) since I read that book, but I don't remember it it creating an atmosphere that was duplicated in the movie.

And from my recollection of the book, the troopers entered the planet atmosphere in personal egg-like pods, not in multi troop transports. I also recall training in some methane atmosphered ice moon around one of the outer planets. And the expression "on the bounce" sticks in my mind.

As I remember, the overall tenor of the book was more gritty, the troopers fought more as individual units, and the rah rah s*** got left behind once boot camp was over.

Actually, there are plenty of movies that do their books justice. The Princess Bride immediately comes to mind. October Sky and The Shining are a few others. And then there are some, such as Clear and Present Danger and Interview with the Vampire which may not be completely consistant with the book but are still entertaining movies. (Fans of Killer Angels should check out the movie Gettysburg. It's a four hour movie with PG gore, but a great adaption of the novel.)

Starship Troopers doesn't even come close. Special effects were cool though.

------------------

Hail to the Redskins!

[edited.gif by Henry on June 20, 2001.]

It's destined to, Kefka. Apparently this one's grabbed the hearts, minds and egos of us off-season fans.

And if we're talking about movies as good as the book, how about films that exceed the written version? Stand By Me comes to mind (based on the King Novella The Body).

I agree that Starship Troopers lacked some needed character development, but I'd also agree a Wild Things scene with Denise would have enhanced the film's artistic integrity considerably.

The Silence of the Lambs novel was clearly outdone by the movie. But I agree, it's hard for an excellent novel to be overshadowed by its movie counterpart.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

TennesseeCarl:

Good call on Stand By Me/The Body. I think the Shawshank Redemption was the best movie adaptation of a novel (novella in this case) ever. I also thought that Apt Pupil from Steven King's Four Seasons was also a great story. A movie was made of it a couple of years ago, but I didn't see it - it didn't create much of a buzz when it came out.

------------------

If you can't be good, be good at it.

Another good one is Armor by Steakley.

An author I'm shocked hasn't been mentioned yet but who many people (including some well known authors) consider one of the best if not the best is harlan ellison. One attempt to rank the best sci-fi/fantasy works of all time had more (many more) of his works listed than any other author. Works include "I have no mouth and I must scream". He's not light reading at all but he's good. One of his collections I have has a preface by him, stating

"It is suggested the reader not attempt to read this book in one sitting. The emotional content of these stories, taken without break, may be extremely upsetting. This note is intended sincerly and not as hyperbole."

And he's right. He's a very dark author.

One film that I think outdid the novel is "LA Confidential." I was going to recommend James Elroy's LA Quartet, but his stuff can get quite harsh and I didn't want to lead any one into an unpleasant surprise. The book, "LA Confidential" was the 3rd and best installment, but the film did a fantastic job of focussing the plot without changing too much of what was in the book. The only major change that stands out is that Dudley Smith doesn't die in the book. And while the movie has been played to death lately on TNT, I still recommend both, highly.

Bogeyman,

Thanks for reminding me of the Shawshank Redemption - I watched it the other night (for about the third time). No special effects...no nekkid women...just outstanding acting and character development along with a can't-miss theme (the indomitable human spirit).

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=10257

Speaking of reading. Future posters to the board and possibly season ticket holders.

"Washington Redskins players Chris Samuels, Eddie Mason, Lloyd Harrison and Josh Symonette officially kicked-off the Redskins Read Summer Reading Program by reading to children at the Cleveland Park Branch Library on Wednesday afternoon. The Redskins Read program is designed to encourage reading and promote literacy among area youths..."

I'll always remember the Redskins in the past that have visited my school. Great to see players involved in programs like that.

Archived