Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nov. 17: CB Carlos Rogers

Art

This was a hard chat to do because it can't be said Carlos is all that popular with many fans right now. There were a ton of "cushion" questions. So I led with it and tried to dig into it. The answer was pretty much what you'd expect. I thought Carlos was pretty honest about how he's playing and what he needs to do to improve. But, I'm sure you'll all have your own thoughts too.

emonroe726

Carlos,

Where you line up on defensive seems to put you at a disadvantage by you being so far off of the line of scrimmage, is this where Coach Williams wants you to lineup or is it more of your own comfort level?

Carlos Rogers

At different times it’s more of our scheme…certain calls we have that we have to play at a certain distance. A lot of times it’s to not to give up a deep ball, it’s to make the opponent catch the ball in front of us and make the tackle. At different calls we get I line up at different positions.

Follow up

How much is scheme and how much is coaching?

Carlos Rogers

I think it works hand in hand. (You) scheme up certain things whether it’s a blitz or just a certain coverage. Our coaching of it is we had a big problem with giving up deep balls and balls getting behind us. It’s more of not giving up the deep ball because that can beat us faster than giving up little five or six yard catches.

chow184

Hi Carlos,

technique wise how much has Shawn Springs and jerry Gray helped you since you came into the NFL?

Carlos Rogers

It’s helped me a whole lot. With Shawn, looking at him last year before I started starting and him talking to me, telling me things about technique and speed of the game and how fast guys are and how most routes are going to be inside at this level up here. With Jerry Gray coming in, his main focus was eyes and using my talent, my speed and my quickness to bring that on the field and bring the best out of me.

tkebigdaddy

Carlos,

What do you think the reason is behind the secondary getting beat so much this year when we have the same defense as last year?

Carlos Rogers

I think it’s all discipline and just not being on the same page at times when we get certain calls. At the beginning of the season we got certain things called and guys got his eyes wrong and then the guy got behind us. I think now we’re focused on the main thing is to take the deep ball away and stop the run because if we continue give the deep balls up, that’s what’s going to beat us.

mrhogg

Carlos,

What QB would you rather defend against, Brunell or Campbell? Also, do you ever get on extremeskinz or any other fan site to see what people are saying about you or the redskins?

Carlos Rogers

Right now (laughing a little) it’d be Campbell because he’s (like) a rookie. He hasn’t experienced a lot, as far as getting snaps in a game time situation. We’d throw different looks at him and get him kind of confused. As far as Brunell, he’s seen a lot. You have to really scheme up things for him and just play tight defense.

(As for fan sites)I really don’t deal with that because at times when you’re doing good, people are on your bandwagon. When you have games where things are not just going your way they all jump off and it’s, “Is Carlos doing this or is Carlos doing that,” or whatever position or whoever is playing is bad, they just jump off your bandwagon so I don’t pay attention to that.

bryanjr2003

Carlos,

Glad to see you in burgundy and gold, What do you think you in particular can do to ignite this team and help catch fire like it did at the end of last season?

Carlos Rogers

I think just to be more productive. When my name is called on, my number is called on, in a certain scheme, batting the ball down, getting an interception, fumble recoveries and things like that can help turn the season around. Coming in to this Tampa game that’s my main focus to help this team get back to where we need to be in the secondary most of all.

ohio redskin fan

Hey Carlos,

Your "Walk it Out" dance has become very popular on the internet. Are there any other specific songs that help get you and the rest of the D pumped? (Nice moves, by the way.)

Carlos Rogers

(Laughing) I think that’s one of our main songs. I think a lot of the music that comes from Atlanta down south, whether it’s “Lean with it, rock with it,” or “Walk it out,” guys, when they hear that, they get pumped up. Everybody in the locker room is looking at me, “Carlos, show me the dance,” do this or do that. I think it sparks the energy for this team and especially for the defense.

BytheBand111

What receiver on Tampa do the DBs have to respect the most this week?

Carlos Rogers

Joey Galloway. Any secondary playing against him, you know, that guy’s like 35-years-old but still’s probably the fastest guy in the NFL. You got to give a lot of respect for him and try to confuse him and give him a lot of different looks.

aszumilo

Do you feel that the change in QB will take some pressure off the defense or put more on it?

Carlos Rogers

I think it’s better to help the team. Coming in, we can’t get no worse than what we are offensively or defensively. We’re probably one of the last in the league at both categories. I think he’s going to help the team a lot. Hopefully Jason can get in and change things around and help this team back going.

kevin11

Hey Carlos, how does it feel to play with Sean Taylor, Shawn Springs, Troy, and Adam?

Also, what is your favorite thing about playing as a Washington Cornerback?

Carlos Rogers

It feels good to be with guys, all those guys first rounders, but we’re just not displaying the talent and playing at the level we should be right now. I think once we get back to playing how we know how to play and playing as group things will get better.

There’s a great legacy here at corner. Playing (after) guys that been here such as Champ, Deion, Darrell Green most of all, Fred Smoot last year, Shawn Springs this year. It’s great corners after great corners. I know being here they expect a lot of out me and that’s my whole thing is to get back to playing how I know how to play and playing how this Washington family wants me to play. It’s great to be a member of that group.

Stuckinphilly1

Carlos, you must know Jason Campbell as well as anyone on the team, playing with him at Auburn and being drafted with him in the 1st rd (congrats) both to the Skins.

Good luck with the rest of the season, and keep bringing the pain.

Carlos Rogers

He’s progressed a lot. I think it’s kind of frustrating being drafted as high as he (was) and not being able to play like last year and the beginning of the season this year. I think he’s come a long way, he’s frustrated, he’s getting mad, but after talking to guys like McNabb and McNair, you know, other quarterbacks that’s done experienced what he has experienced they talk to him and calm him down. They let him know that one day your name is going to be called and once it (is) you just have to step up and perform.

Archived