Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2006 Redskin Offense, more Qs than As .. long

BKSkinsFan

Al Saunders was brought in to bring new life to the Redskin offense. Known as an enthusiastic coach who can be seen chasing his receivers down after a good play on the practice field, things were supposed to be looking up in Washington. He is heralded as a brilliant offensive mind who's offenses have been tops in the league in scoring the past two years. Although, his first year as the Chiefs coordinator, they were 16th in the league in scoring averaging 20 ppg. One of those games of course was a 45-13 spanking of the .. yeah, us.

So far this season, the Redskin offense is looking anemic, ranked 20th in points/game averaging only 18.3. Minus 2 special teams TDs, that average drops to 16.8. That statistic is further made worse by the fact that in our 3 divisional road games, the offense has only been able to muster up a field goal in each.

The Saunders guided offense for the Chiefs was known for stretching the field in the passing game, and providing more of a perimeter attack spreading the defense out. He is also well known for trying to trick offenses by going as long as 4 games without calling the same play twice.

Anyone watching the Redskins 2006 offense, has seen how predictable and unsuccessful this offense has become. Full of WR screens, reverses, and dump offs to the RBs, the defenses are far from being stretched. Is this a result of lack of protection, lack of a consistent running game, or, are defenses just able to load up up front and simultaneously take away the running game along with the short passing game?

I know there is more than I can even comprehend factoring into this, but, as someone who lives and breathes all things Redskins, I have to wonder to myself ... is there a reason Al Saunders' once impossible to predict offense, has become so predictable?

Is it possible that he is not able open up his offense due to the fact that his starting QB was seemingly afraid to step up in the pocket, and take some chances? Was Brunell completely incapable of understanding the new offense and is no longer able to make all the throws necessary for an NFL QB, especially ones that involve taking a hit after the release? Are our WRs, who now need to read a defense in order to adjust their route incapable of doing so? Is our offensive line not able to adjust to the new offense and provide a pocket for the QB or create lanes for our RBs? Are the RBs consistently making wrong decisions picking the wrong lane, and not making the cuts needed when an opening is there?

At this point, there are many, many more questions than answers. Hopefully one of the answers to those questions is the arm strength and mobility of our new #17. Obviously, he can't be expected to answer every question surrounding this offense, he is only 1 out of the 11 that it takes to take this offense to a new level and is expected to have some growing pains along the way. However, if he is able to be the answer to our QB woes, it will be the answer the Redskins have been searching for for many years. Good luck JC, you got my support, all I want is to see some sparks that you're what we've been waiting for all this time.

That way we can head into the draft searching for our other question, who can we get to provide a pass rush for this defense?

I'm afraid you won't get any answers on Sunday.

It's JC's first start of his whole career. They're not going to unleash the playbook the way Saunders could when Trent Green was in his third and fourth year with it and they were really humming.

They'll put in more plays that are suited to Jason's strengths, deep outs and deep crosses.

NFL playbooks are encyclopedic. Plus, there is a lot to be said for getting timing down with receivers.

Tana, Brandon (well, not so much Brandon since he basically just ran his routes and then jogged back to the huddle), Randle-El and Cooley are accustomed to a southpaw qb who threw a lot of touch passes and didn't use the middle of the field.

Now they have a strong-armed righty and we have no idea which routes he likes the best.

That means a helluva lot.

I'm just hoping Saunders sticks around for a while so Jason doesn't have to learn a 7th playbook in 7 years.

For now, i think they'll try to keep things pretty simple.

I may get berated for saying this, but I don't think the offense is any worse than it was for the most part of last year. Sure, they had the 49er game, and a few others towards the end of the year, but I don't think it was all that. Joe Gibbs' game plan has always been based on ball control, stingy defense, and winning the turnover battle. None of those are happening this year. This year it's all about running trick plays. What happened to just lining up and smacking the other guy in the mouth???

I may get berated for saying this, but I don't think the offense is any worse than it was for the most part of last year. Sure, they had the 49er game, and a few others towards the end of the year, but I don't think it was all that. Joe Gibbs' game plan has always been based on ball control, stingy defense, and winning the turnover battle. None of those are happening this year. This year it's all about running trick plays. What happened to just lining up and smacking the other guy in the mouth???

There are no HOGS on this team, unfortunately.

Archived