Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dink & Dunk and Locking Onto Moss

RedzoneHunter

I started getting a little excited when they said Brunell was injured and Todd Collins started warming up. Granted, he may not be as talented, but at least he knows this offense and where his receivers are supposed to be. Brunell only knows where Moss is. I'm so sick of watching Brunell lock on to Moss and forcing it into double and even triple coverage. There's a reason Moss is doubled.....

Here's a clue for Mark Brunell:

We didn't invest in Randle El and Lloyd to be decoys, and until you start looking their way, don't expect to see single coverage on Moss. You have targeted Moss so much that he could be a great decoy. Get a clue!

We really need to bench Brunell now and insert Todd Collins, the only one that truely knows this offense! We need to do this now, "BEFORE" we are officially eliminated from the playoffs.

But after we are eliminated, then it's time to put Jason Campbell in and get him ready to take the reigns next season. This will give him very valuable playing experience, but Collins should start until we are eliminated.

Collins is by no means the long term answer, but he should be playing until the others can grasp this new system. And by the way, it takes two years to learn it.

Gibbs says he likes smart expienced players, but we don't have a quarterback with both of these assets. The question is: Which carries more weight, playing expience or knowledge of the system???

It's becoming very apparent that experience without knowledge is a recipe for losing. On the other hand, in San Diego Philip Rivers is proving that knowledge is the winning ingredient.

Collins = knowledge of the system

Brunell = playing experince

Campbell = neither

Wisdom says that Brunell and Campbell would both learn the system faster playing behind Collins in the short term. But the way it is now, Campbell is being forced to watch Brunell try to feel his way around in the dark. The result is: It's hurting Brunell's stats and reputation, stunting Campbell's growth, and it's hurting the team.

It's time for a change before it's too late.

we scored 22 points....that should be enough for a win. Defense needs to step it up.

Did you miss the part where we amassed a whopping 2 yards in the 3rd quarter?

That's when Tennessee started chewing up our D. When Captain drive killer Mark Brunell gets out there and can't convert a 3rd down, the D tends to wear down and is part of why we wind up giving up so many freaking running yards.

Boooooooooooonell needs to be fetching Jason's helmet when Jason is ready to come back into the game leading the Skins to at least a chance of winning!!!

I don't know about all that, but I would highly doubt that Collins or Campbell would be locking sights on Moss alone. I'm not trying to put Mark down, he is a good quarterback, but it's plain to see he doesn't have a good handle on this offense yet.

I grew tired of it when he threw that interception in the crowd of two dbs and a safety. You mean to tell me that if you have three defenders covering Moss, that no one else is open!

Now if we can only get the coaches to realize this fact. But unfortunately, I'm beginning to believe that Gibbs is a very stubborn man that is willing to go down with the ship.

As much as I dislike Brunell, there is no way anybody should be calling for Collins.

Seriously, do you think there is a reason this guy has never been more than a clipboard holder his entire career?

Fact is at this point all we can do is hope Brunell can pull out a win next week and maybe after the bye Cambell can come in.

But Collins?!? Give me a break!

I could've sworn that I heard some people cheering when Brunell was limping on the sidelines. Was I hearing things?

To be honest, I think 99% of skins nation had a smile on their face after he limped off. Not because Boonell was injured, because we would finally have the opportunity to see a real QB play (Collins or Campbell).

Gibbs is going to stick with Brunnell until his arm falls off on the field during a game. Or until there's no way he can justify it even to the most ardent Brunnell supporter (see 2004 re: Ramsey). Brunnell loves Jesus just as much as Joe does. And even though I don't want to believe that plays a part (subconciously or not) in Gibbs' decision making process, or his evaluation process, what have you....as much as I don't want to think that, I can't help but believe it. I can't help but believe if they didn't have that common bond, Gibbs wouldn't be so maniacally devoted to Brunnell as it appears he is.

As much as I dislike Brunell, there is no way anybody should be calling for Collins.

Yup. How would replacing a washed up 36 year old with a 35 year old career backup put this franchise in a position to succeed in the future? There would be no sense in it at all.

Seriously, do you think there is a reason this guy has never been more than a clipboard holder his entire career?

Fact is at this point all we can do is hope Brunell can pull out a win next week and maybe after the bye Cambell can come in.

This is the unfortunate situation that we have to deal with. If Collins comes in then theres no guarantee that we'll start winning, Brunell isn't the answer and if Campbell comes in does that mean we have given up on the season? This is a horrible situation to be in and I am torn between the decisions.

I guess if we lose next week, I would say go with campbell, run the ball, and put JC in a position to be a manager until he gets more comfortable.

You must not be tired of the, "But I'm proud of our guys, they fought their guts out" saying yet, but good teams play to win.

If you don't think this game looked bad enough, just wait til you see what happens in Indianapolis this week, but at least you won't hear the boooooos there.

This is the unfortunate situation that we have to deal with. If Collins comes in then theres no guarantee that we'll start winning, Brunell isn't the answer and if Campbell comes in does that mean we have given up on the season? This is a horrible situation to be in and I am torn between the decisions.

I guess if we lose next week, I would say go with campbell, run the ball, and put JC in a position to be a manager until he gets more comfortable.

I'm not a Brunell hater, and I can't wait to see Campbell lead this team, but right now Collins is the only one that can manage the game because he's the only one that knows this offense. We still haven't been eliminated from the playoffs yet, and Campbell is still learning this new offense as well.

Brunell only has faith in Moss, but it's the other receivers that are getting open. Our only chance of winning is letting Collins try to manage the game. He knows where the receivers should be, so he can throw the ball there and start trusting the receivers to make the plays.

I'm not suggesting that Collins is the long term answer, but he should be playing until the others can grasp this new system. And by the way, it takes two years to learn it.

Gibbs says he likes smart expienced players, but the question is: Which carries more weight, expience or knowledge of the system?

It's becoming very apparent that experience without knowledge is a recipe for losing.

On the other hand, in San Diego Philip Rivers is proving that knowledge is the winning ingredient.

Yup. How would replacing a washed up 36 year old with a 35 year old career backup put this franchise in a position to succeed in the future?

It would speed up the learning process of our so-called washed up 36 year old, but more importantly, it would do the same for our future starting quarterback. It's not doing Campbell any good to watch Brunell trying to feel his way around in the dark.

I'm sure Campbell can dink and dunk as well as Brunell if not better...

Put the rock in CP's hands and let Campbell dink and dunk until he's comfortable. Then open up the offense for him as time goes by. We can't open up the offense to Brunell because he doesn't have the arm or heart to go downfield.

Archived