Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offensive Identity

Thirtyfive2seven

If you want to blame someone blame Al Saunders.

Joe Gibbs may have to share in some of the blame because he gave up the offense and turned the keys over to Al. Does he have health concerns? I certainly hope not because I love Joe and everything he has done for this team.

Anyways, the problem is the Redskins are playing a finesse offense and they got punched in the mouth for it. Good. Instead of running CP up the middle, off-tackle, and letting our HUGE talented offensive line explode into players we ran mis-direction plays. We looked like whimps. Period. The players don't like it, I can tell you that. Do you think they want to run WR screens and reverses when there is an 0-5 team lined up across from them? HELL NO!! They want to run the ball down their throats. THAT is this teams identity.

And that brings me to my point. We are playing an AFC West defense in the NFC East. It ain't gonna work. NFC teams pride themselves on smash mouth football. Run the ball down your opponents throat, control the clock, manage the game, and beat them with the play action passes. That's why the Redskins did well last year. We had an identity.

This year, we have Al Saunders... and a crappy defense but that's been posted in another thread so I'll post my comments about that over there.

I have to agree with you man. That was the 32nd rush d in the league and Portis only gets 15 touches. To me that is stupid. They were giving up 170 on the ground each game. It is hard to blame the players all the time because they are not calling the plays. The players have to execute as well but the coaches are supposed to put them in a position to win the game but with that gameplan they didn't. I really wish i saw what they were doing all week in practice before this game because that had to be the worst game plan ever.

Archived