Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Did You Expect?...I Different P.O.V.

LoudMouth12thMan

Yes, I just stole Michael Wilbon's quote. :D

However, I'd like to spin it just a bit differently. We have 5 starters on defense who are new to GW's system, new to this team, and a couple of those guys didn't get acclimated until well into the pre-season. Result, 26th overall in pass defense. It's not the defenses fault? I beg to differ, they are a major contributing factor in our wins/losses, but can we really fault them? What did you expect? People talk about Rogers' hands or coverage skills, a lack of a pass rush, Arch getting burned, Kenny Wright sucks, our LB's aren't any good, etc...Not that I agree with those comments for the most part, but...What did you expect?

The fact of the matter is that one of the major strengths of our team coming into the season was going to be depth and experience on both sides of the ball (assuming there were going to be NO injuries). One blown out knee and a groin pull (whisper, whisper, possibly a sport's hernia) later we're sitting ducks with our pants down at our ankles in the middle of the field ready to be shot at any time. Half of the defense is NEW: new to the system, new to the team, new to their positions and what they are being asked to do, new to the pressure in Washington, and new to just being new. Is suck the right word? Who knows? Incapable maybe. This defense isn't going to get better overnight. Hell, it may not get better at all, but give credit where credit is due. They gave up a bunch of yards in the air and a chunk on the ground, but the Gints scored 19 points. They'd averaged over 30 points prior to yesterday albeit the majority of those came in the 4th quarter, I believe. We were one 4th and 1 away from a possible spark, right? :( Ah, who knows it was just a really bad day to be a Redskin and a Redskins fan.

What did you expect, we're not anywhere close to where we need to be from a personnel standpoint? That shouldn't matter if we play like a team. We overcame the same issues that we had yesterday a week ago because we played strong in areas where we should be playing strong i.e. stopping the run, protecting our qb, running the ball with consistency, and playing solid on special teams. By the way, Moss was a bonus because we had established those other elements allowing him to do what he does best. That's Redskins football. What did you expect? We didn't do those things well at all yesterday, so I don't know why everyone is so confused. Maybe you all aren't confused, but 5 new players on Defense, no running game yesterday, nearly a full quater's difference in T.O.P., and a loss in the trenches, not to mention questionable coaching decisions and questionable 2nd half play calling (IMO only; pertaining to yesterday only), leads to a loss. 0-2 in the East and 0-3 in the NFC. Time to crawl out of the hole. Unfortunately, we are going to be looking ahead the next two weeks. Who knows, maybe we'll just forget the X's and O's and learn how to play together like we'd been doing the past two weeks. I expect a lot more than we got yesterday. What do you expect?

HAIL!

Considering that the Giants beat both Kansas City Chiefs and Washington Redskins last year, it shouldn't have been a surprise we did so poorly. I was watching the game looking for a spark to happen, but it didn't. Giants will have to play us again at our house where they haven't played well.

The only spark I saw was from my lighter.. lighting one of two packs of cigs during the game.

Yeah my point exactly. We had no spark, and I think we let an opportunity slip on the 4th and 1 option on the 25. That was the only shot at that time we had at a spark. Gibbs basically sent the message, "hey, I don't think you can get one yard so bring on the unit." I don't like that message in that situation. It affected the team the rest of the way. Lord knows the defense could have used the extra 2 or 3 minutes to rest had we converted.

HTTR!

Yeah my point exactly. We had no spark, and I think we let an opportunity slip on the 4th and 1 option on the 25. That was the only shot at that time we had at a spark. Gibbs basically sent the message, "hey, I don't think you can get one yard so bring on the unit." I don't like that message in that situation. It affected the team the rest of the way. Lord knows the defense could have used the extra 2 or 3 minutes to rest had we converted.

HTTR!

I don't think it was the case of him not thinking that we couldn't get it, it was more a case of him being conservative. All old football coaches, coach with the philosophy of putting points on the board, instead of going for it on 4th down. I guess in his mind it was a chip shot, but in reality everybody knew that when Hall went out there it was a miss. I knew Gibbs was going to kick the field goal, I just knew it and it pissed me off, because the 3 wouldn't have done us any good, because we were down by 13. We needed 2 scores. It would have been different if it was a 20 yard field goal, then I could understand kicking it, but a 42 yarder, I am sorry you go for it in that situation.

HTTR!

I like your sig a lot. Way to represent Christ in all that you do :).

Archived