Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Problems with this team.

JRAB

I'm so sick right now I can hardly post. I know this is a very negative post, but it is how I feel and what I truly, truly think. I've been a fan for a long time and I've seen a lot of teams come and go, and I know when a team is good or not. And I can tell you that there are problems everywhere with this team.

Start with Gibbs and Saunders. I really think that Danny saw Saunders sitting out there and went and got him and shoved him down Gibb's throat. I don't care what is being said... I think Gibbs didn't want Saunders here. Gibbs doesn't do crap! He looks like a poor, lost, senile old man on the sidelines. The chemistry is screwed up on this team.

We don't have nearly the talent on this team that we thought we did. Just not very many good players. Portis, yes. Springs, kind of. Cooly, maybe. But we overrated a LOT of players on this team.

Campbell? Who's to say he's worth a crap? Saunders seems to think he's not going to amount to much. He's basically said that Campbell doesn't have the brains to run an NFL offense. I don't neccessarily agree with that, but he should know a heck of a lot better than I do. If Campbell does suck, then we truly are screwed. Gave up a lot to get him and I don't think we have ****.

Speaking of draft picks: We don't have very many. Did you see all of those young draft picks that Dallas had on their defense? That's a future. That's how to build a team. Getting Andre Carter? Puhleeez! We got a player who had proven that he couldn't play for a sorry 49er team. Real smart. Rumph? Nice. Lloyd? even better. So he's athletic. What has he done in the NFL? Not much. Randal El? Good punt returner, I guess and when you want to throw a trick play in, every other game or so, he's the guy. :rolleyes:

I can't beleive we were so excited about the offseason pickups. How blind were we? What have they done? Not much, I'll tell you that.

We started messing up a while ago and last season was just a fluke. Chemistry, getting on a roll and facing teams that were short handed and squeezing by... that's how we went to the playoffs last year. Beat Tampa. Wooo hoooo. I said last season that they sucked and we BARELY beat them. This year, they're showing what they're made of... just like us.

Personell mistakes:

Keep Arrington and let Champ go. That's smart. 4-3 olb's are a dime a dozen and shutdown corners are almost impossible to come by. So what do we do? Decide to pay bajillions to the LB and let the CB go. Nice. Yes Portis is good, but backs are easy to come by. Heck, just the second rounder we gave to denver for Portis could've netted us a good back. How nice would it have been to have Champ back there tonight?

Because we traded Champ for Portis, we had to pay him out the butt, along with Arrington and we had to sign Springs. Had we only had to pay big bucks to Champ and had a second round running back to pay, then we could've had the money to keep Smoot and Pierce. Gibbs says didn't want to pay more money to Smoot than Springs. Yeah right. And everyone here bought that line of ****. That happens when one CB comes up in FA. You have to pay or you lose them... the other corner be dammed. No, the reason was because we didn't have the money to pay Smoot or Pierce.

Had we kept Smoot, we wouldn't have had to take Rogers at pick #9 in the draft, because we would've had Smoot and Champ. Then we could've addressed out by far biggest need: Edge pass rusher. We have no pressure. None. Without being held prisoner by the CB position we could've drafted Shawne Merriman or Demarcus Ware, just like I begged us to. Champ and Smoot at CB and Merriman or Ware coming off of the edge would give Gregg Williams something to actually work with. That would be a dominant defense with Pierce in the middle. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Then, on top of everything else, I wish we wouldn't have started giving all important draft picks away like candy. We give em to Denver for a big fat maybe in Campbell. We give them for Mark freaking Brunell. We give it away because we panic and give it ALONG WITH Champ Bailey. We give them for Lloyd who had never done much. We give them for an average LB in McIntosh. We give them for this, we give them for that. I'm sick of it.

Gibbs is now nothing more than a figurehead, which may not be a bad thing because we were lucky to win last year. Bugel is a horrible OL coach. We have no athletes on D beyond Taylor, Griffin and an old Springs. And Taylor makes as many bad plays as good. The OL is horribly overrated. Cooley is overrated and a wierdo at that. Portis is good, but his "U" attitude will catch up with him eventually. Gibbs just tolerates him as it is. He sat him because he decided he didn't want to practice because he was sore. Sore! :doh:

I'm so freaking depressed right now. We have a massive rebuilding project on our hands. Massive. We don't have very many good players. We don't have very many draft picks. Our millionare coaching is in shambles and I don't think will ever work, as is. We have a lot of players who just aren't very smart. We have no discipline. We have no character. We have no pride. They play listless. They make their millions and they don't care.

We have got a long way to go till we are even in the same catagory as that Dallas team we saw tonight. And Danny boy isn't the most patient man in the world. How long until he starts tinkering with the coaching even more? How long until Gibbs just says screw it and walks? Would that be a bad thing? Williams is a great D coordinator, but he sucks as a head coach... does he take over and we go into Norv II? A great coordinator who can't coach? Saunders? Right.

We're going to be like cincy or cleveland. Always also rans. Ah, I just want to go to sleep. We're horrible and the future is very, very bleak my friends.

Goodnight.

EDIT: Don't forget that awesome trade for Duckett. I knew he sucked at Atlanta. I was upset when we gave up a draft pick for him. He had all of 24 yards tonight. Sweet trade that one was.

Geez man, that Dallas game made you realize all that?

We're all upset man, believe me I'm sick to my stomach, but I don't think things are as bad as you say they are.

I really hope not. I'm just upset, but it really is how I feel.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but your perspective is definitely jaded and overly pessimistic. Would I like to have Champ Bailey, Merriman, and say a Stephen Jackson (if we traded up with that 2nd rounder) instead of Portis and Springs, probably. But that is a lot of 20-20 hindsight. Nobody drafts perfectly, in our case we don't draft at all. The real problem is qb play and lack of depth due to the lack of draft picks like you stated. I love how everyone on this site has dug Campbell a grave for no real reason. He hasn't played yet but there is no question he is better than Brunell right now and an infusion of youth and hope is what this team needs more than anything. You can't cheat the NFL, trying to get by with a washed-up QB because it sucks to wait through the ups and downs of a younger one only delays the inevitable. The only ones who can cheat the nfl are teams with DOMINATE defenses and kicking games, both of which we do not have. So you surround the young guy with talent and scheme, which we have, and see what happens. Jacksonville is reaping the rewards after dumping Brunell years ago, Eli is stepping up, Alex Smith, even JP Losman is playing okay....certainly way better than Brunell. So stop with the desperation(like the trades) coaches, we can't cheat it. Bench Brunell and start the future.

. Would I like to have Champ Bailey, Merriman, and say a Stephen Jackson (if we traded up with that 2nd rounder) instead of Portis and Springs, probably. But that is a lot of 20-20 hindsight.

Thanks for your reply and yeah, it probably was overly pessimistic... but it is exactly what I think.

In response to what I quoted: No, when we were going to trade Champ for Portis I thought it was a mistake. Lavar and Champ both needed to be paid and we could really only keep one. I thought then that we were crazy to keep a LB over a shut down corner. I thought then that giving a second in addition to Champ was just stupid. I thought then that we should've not given the second rounder and used it for a RB and not Traded champ. I said we needed to find a way to keep Smoot so that we could draft an edge rusher. I did! Before we ever let Smoot walk. Even after he walked, I said go ahead and draft Merriman or Ware, because we are so horrible at rushing the passer.

Now, I know that I'm not a super personnel whiz, so I'm sure that these things occured to our front office. Or if they didn't... they certainly should have. If I had been in charge, we seriously would have Champ right now. No Springs. Smoot. Probably Merriman. Maybe Stephen Jackson or Kevin Jones or Julius Jones. Pierce at MLB. I thought all of these things before they happened.

Oh well... I'm sure there has been times that I would've missed too. But what I'm suggesting isn't hindsight because they were obvious.

I can't see how you equate keeping Arrington with letting Bailey go. Bailey wasn't so much a money issue as a disgruntled player let go. I admit that letting Smoot go was a bad idea, and the same goes for Pierce. Regardless, we had the money to resign these guys. They were just piss poor decisions by our front office and coaching staff.

Also, Buges does what he can with the O-line. You can teach technique, but you can't control a guy's mind on the field. What we've seen thus far is players choosing the wrong players to block at the wrong time. That comes down to scheme and mental makeup.

Finally, Carlos Rogers, Rocky McIntosh, Brandon Lloyd, and Campbell have yet to play full seasons as starters for the Redskins. Your assessment is way too premature. These guys could very well be the "future" you claim we mortgaged away.

I'm so sick right now I can hardly post.

I feel you man. Is it just me or does this team seem to be in disarray? It feels like they are a team that is dis-united in the locker room. They just don't seem to be playing well together. Think something could be up?

Am I the only one that thinks this?

P.S. I wish I had a GF to beat!

I'm so sick right now I can hardly post. I know this is a very negative post, but it is how I feel and what I truly, truly think. I've been a fan for a long time and I've seen a lot of teams come and go, and I know when a team is good or not. And I can tell you that there are problems everywhere with this team.

Start with Gibbs and Saunders. I really think that Danny saw Saunders sitting out there and went and got him and shoved him down Gibb's throat. I don't care what is being said... I think Gibbs didn't want Saunders here. Gibbs doesn't do crap! He looks like a poor, lost, senile old man on the sidelines. The chemistry is screwed up on this team.

We don't have nearly the talent on this team that we thought we did. Just not very many good players. Portis, yes. Springs, kind of. Cooly, maybe. But we overrated a LOT of players on this team.

Campbell? Who's to say he's worth a crap? Saunders seems to think he's not going to amount to much. He's basically said that Campbell doesn't have the brains to run an NFL offense. I don't neccessarily agree with that, but he should know a heck of a lot better than I do. If Campbell does suck, then we truly are screwed. Gave up a lot to get him and I don't think we have ****.

Speaking of draft picks: We don't have very many. Did you see all of those young draft picks that Dallas had on their defense? That's a future. That's how to build a team. Getting Andre Carter? Puhleeez! We got a player who had proven that he couldn't play for a sorry 49er team. Real smart. Rumph? Nice. Lloyd? even better. So he's athletic. What has he done in the NFL? Not much. Randal El? Good punt returner, I guess and when you want to throw a trick play in, every other game or so, he's the guy. :rolleyes:

I can't beleive we were so excited about the offseason pickups. How blind were we? What have they done? Not much, I'll tell you that.

We started messing up a while ago and last season was just a fluke. Chemistry, getting on a roll and facing teams that were short handed and squeezing by... that's how we went to the playoffs last year. Beat Tampa. Wooo hoooo. I said last season that they sucked and we BARELY beat them. This year, they're showing what they're made of... just like us.

Personell mistakes:

Keep Arrington and let Champ go. That's smart. 4-3 olb's are a dime a dozen and shutdown corners are almost impossible to come by. So what do we do? Decide to pay bajillions to the LB and let the CB go. Nice. Yes Portis is good, but backs are easy to come by. Heck, just the second rounder we gave to denver for Portis could've netted us a good back. How nice would it have been to have Champ back there tonight?

Because we traded Champ for Portis, we had to pay him out the butt, along with Arrington and we had to sign Springs. Had we only had to pay big bucks to Champ and had a second round running back to pay, then we could've had the money to keep Smoot and Pierce. Gibbs says didn't want to pay more money to Smoot than Springs. Yeah right. And everyone here bought that line of ****. That happens when one CB comes up in FA. You have to pay or you lose them... the other corner be dammed. No, the reason was because we didn't have the money to pay Smoot or Pierce.

Had we kept Smoot, we wouldn't have had to take Rogers at pick #9 in the draft, because we would've had Smoot and Champ. Then we could've addressed out by far biggest need: Edge pass rusher. We have no pressure. None. Without being held prisoner by the CB position we could've drafted Shawne Merriman or Demarcus Ware, just like I begged us to. Champ and Smoot at CB and Merriman or Ware coming off of the edge would give Gregg Williams something to actually work with. That would be a dominant defense with Pierce in the middle. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Then, on top of everything else, I wish we wouldn't have started giving all important draft picks away like candy. We give em to Denver for a big fat maybe in Campbell. We give them for Mark freaking Brunell. We give it away because we panic and give it ALONG WITH Champ Bailey. We give them for Lloyd who had never done much. We give them for an average LB in McIntosh. We give them for this, we give them for that. I'm sick of it.

Gibbs is now nothing more than a figurehead, which may not be a bad thing because we were lucky to win last year. Bugel is a horrible OL coach. We have no athletes on D beyond Taylor, Griffin and an old Springs. And Taylor makes as many bad plays as good. The OL is horribly overrated. Cooley is overrated and a wierdo at that. Portis is good, but his "U" attitude will catch up with him eventually. Gibbs just tolerates him as it is. He sat him because he decided he didn't want to practice because he was sore. Sore! :doh:

I'm so freaking depressed right now. We have a massive rebuilding project on our hands. Massive. We don't have very many good players. We don't have very many draft picks. Our millionare coaching is in shambles and I don't think will ever work, as is. We have a lot of players who just aren't very smart. We have no discipline. We have no character. We have no pride. They play listless. They make their millions and they don't care.

We have got a long way to go till we are even in the same catagory as that Dallas team we saw tonight. And Danny boy isn't the most patient man in the world. How long until he starts tinkering with the coaching even more? How long until Gibbs just says screw it and walks? Would that be a bad thing? Williams is a great D coordinator, but he sucks as a head coach... does he take over and we go into Norv II? A great coordinator who can't coach? Saunders? Right.

We're going to be like cincy or cleveland. Always also rans. Ah, I just want to go to sleep. We're horrible and the future is very, very bleak my friends.

Goodnight.

EDIT: Don't forget that awesome trade for Duckett. I knew he sucked at Atlanta. I was upset when we gave up a draft pick for him. He had all of 24 yards tonight. Sweet trade that one was.

:point2sky

I thought Gibbs wanted Saunders to come here, not Snyder. Some believe he will be replaced by Saunders once he retires at the end of the season. Snyder did what Gibbs asked him to do.

Duckett is ok, but they are not using him much, because Saunders loves Betts. the only reason Atlanta traded him was that they drafted Norwood.

Brunell has got to go.

:point2sky

I thought Gibbs wanted Saunders to come here, not Snyder. Some believe he will be replaced by Saunders once he retires at the end of the season. Snyder did what Gibbs asked him to do.

Duckett is ok, but they are not using him much, because Saunders loves Betts. the only reason Atlanta traded him was that they drafted Norwood.

Brunell has got to go.

All of that is what they want us to hear. Maybe you're right. But if Snyder shoved Saunders down Gibbs throat he would have two choices: Quit or get with the company line and say he wanted him here. Do you think the club is going to tell us, "You know, we really wanted Smoot and Pierce, but because we mishandled the cap we just can't keep them." Yeah, that's real good for public relations. Instead they gave a line about not wanting to pay more to Smoot that Springs got. Riiiiggghhttt. If teams thought that way, nobody would have a #2 CB worth a crap.

You really think that Atlanta loved Duckett? Really? That's why they let him split for a 3rd?

watch we win 2 games ina row and this guys says were going to the SB and that every move we ever made was the best and that he said we should do all of them...Give me a break. Its easy to look back and say that was bad or this was bad. YES were playing like ****. BUT YES we can turn it around with better play calling and getting back springs and portis. if we can get back to 2-2 were in it.

After watching Brunell play and body language tonight I'm theorizing that Brunell hasn't yet grasped the timing of the offense, even though he may have studied it in the off season. He seems to want to throw the ball down the field but seems to have trouble timing his throws when his receivers are supposed to get open.

Playing monday morning quarterback for the last 2 years solves everything.

I know it solves nothing. And frankly, if I thought the players would read this I wouldn't write it. It is how I feel though and I'm just venting in here.

Even if I'm only right about 50% of what I wrote, then we are in big trouble and have screwed up big time. I bet I'm at least 50% correct, too.

I understand that the negativity could grate on some people. If so, then don't read it. However, I think there are issues with this team and sticking your head in the sand isn't going to solve anything either.

watch we win 2 games ina row and this guys says were going to the SB and that every move we ever made was the best and that he said we should do all of them...Give me a break. Its easy to look back and say that was bad or this was bad. YES were playing like ****. BUT YES we can turn it around with better play calling and getting back springs and portis. if we can get back to 2-2 were in it.

Jacksonville manhandled the Cowboys.

The Cowboys manhandled us.

How can you have any confidence we beat Jacksonville to get to 2-2 after today?

I have to agree on a few things, well if Dan Snyder shoved Al Saunders into Gibbs, All I have to say we were 10X better off last year without him. Right now I haven't see crap out of Saunders but for a lot of motions and shifts big fn deal. Our DB position is horrible, I would have given more to Smoot, he is young and not injury prone like Springs(with his age). I would have traded Arrington long ago!! to keep Smoot.

Whats up with this conservative play??? WTF?? WAKE UP SAUNDERS!!!

as far as Champ Bailey is concerned, he wanted out of town as much if not more than Lavar did, so no amount of money was gonna keep him. he was tired of the upheaval of the defense and wanted out of town. Smoot on the other hand i was upset about because i thought we should have kept him, but..... he wanted the world and we probably would not have been able to keep Pierce anyway.

Archived