Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OL and DL both soft

DonkeyTeeth

This was the biggest area of concern for me. Secondary play, penalties, and playcalling were all suspect, but what really disturbed me last night was what looked like weakness on both lines.

I see a lot of people quick to call out Brunell, but there weren't many times when he had a solid pocket for more than 3 seconds. When he did, he was able to look downfield and connected on some deep balls. Most of the time he had someone in his face quickly or was scrambling to avoid an unchallenged blitzer.

People are calling out Saunders for calling too many screens and swings. Unfortunately, those are the best plays to call when your OL is not handling the inside rush at all - it gets the ball outside those rushers and forces them to slow down. If Saunders called more five-step drops and asked Brunell to look deep downfield, he would have been on his butt several times for big losses.

Betts needed some help to get on track in a backup role and I didn't feel like he got it early on. The OL did seem to dig in late in the game when Portis ran strong, but our rushing stats are nothing for them to be proud of.

On defense, the secondary was obviously not at their best. But our DL basically sent Johnson home with a clean jersey and struggled getting Chester Taylor to the ground all night. Johnson never should have had the time to scan the field for some of those deep completions. Our front four did very little to help our DBs out. Granted, Minnesota's OL is one of the better ones we'll see, but this type of play will only force more reliance on risky blitzes. Try those weak arm tackles and lunges against Tiki or Westbrook and things will get ugly.

I'm certainly not descending into doom and gloom yet - I still have high hopes for this season. But it seems like its been an assumption that our OL and defensive front will be anchors of the team, and I'm worried about how underwhelming they looked. If those units turn out mediocre play its going to put pressure on all the other developing aspects of the team, and make this season a lot more difficult.

the Redskins were a step slow in the second half after taking a 13-9 lead after 30 minutes.

with a roster of veteran players coming back from injuries and others not having played any preseason games, it appears the team wore down and didn't have the necessary stamina and endurance to hold up.

to be frank, it looked like the Redskins were still in preseason mode. Griffin and Daniels both looked a step slow from what we saw from them last year.

the offensive line was outplayed across the board.

one thing that really bothered me was seeing Jon Jansen yucking it up with Brad Johnson after the game was over.

Johnson was happy to come in here and get the 'w' to stick it to this organization.

Jansen meanwhile looked like a boob for grinning and smiling and smacking on the back the quarterback that just beat his team at home.

Nice to see that Jansen is all broken up over the loss :rolleyes:

You know a lot of the protection has to do with the QB. If you drop back too far the speed rushers can get outside the tackles and allow blitzing LB a straight shot. If you don't step up in the pocket DEs can pressure you. If you run outside your blockers, no one can do a thing for you because holding is a penalty.

Just becasue a QB is pressured doesn't mean it's the lines fault. A bad QB can make a good line look terrible, Patrick Ramsey was a good example of a guy impossible to keep on his feet. You could put the great wall in front of him and he'd hold the ball long enough for a defender to climb it and leap off of it onto his head.

I keep hearing about how good our o-line is but from watching them in preseason with basic protection and now in our first game. Personally I think they are a little bit overrated. It'd be interesting to see how Duckett would look pounding the ball between the tackles with this line. Thats what we should be doing.

I agree, but there is one thing they did good last night, and that was not giving up a sack. But I would like to see Duckett too, I was suprised when he wasn't in the backfiled when we were in the redzone...and I'm not knocking Portis, he scored once in the redzone, but if he's just coming back, why make him try to pound it in, when we have Duckett on the sidelines doing nothing. I'd really be pissed coming from a team where I seen action at 2nd string, and then to come to a new team, and not get any touches.

Jansen and Johnson are friends from back during the 99 playoff run, and the game was over. I don't have any problem with them looking friendly after the last whistle blows.

I was expecting to see some of Duckett in the red zone. I think he's the best battering ram we have right now, and he wouldn't have had to know much of the playbook in those situations.

Archived