Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shuttle Launch in HD tomorrow

21KO

The launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis was postponed Wednesday for at least 24 hours because of an issue with the shuttle's fuel cell number 1. A short (a spike and drop in voltage) in the fuel cell coolant motor was seen shortly after the cell was activated

NASA managers are taking more time to gather data about a problem with one of Space Shuttle Atlantis' fuel cells. The next launch attempt will be no earlier 11:41 a.m. EDT on Friday, Sept. 8.

so Coooleeey, what's the inside scoop?

Is this the first launch ever to be broadcast in HD? I'm gonna watch it. The colors will be amazing!

No, HDNET broadcast full coverage of Discovery a couple of months ago. Great stuff. Shows them prepping to enter the shuttle, everything. Hours of coverage. It's awesome.

Just found out I gotta work Friday, so I'll miss it. :mad:

NASA managers are taking more time to gather data about a problem with one of Space Shuttle Atlantis' fuel cells. The next launch attempt will be no earlier 11:41 a.m. EDT on Friday, Sept. 8.

so Coooleeey, what's the inside scoop?

I haven't heard anything but I will ask a few people this morning and see what's up. We watch every launch in HD, there are LCD and plasma TV's in all the hallways...

As you all probably know they cancelled the launch again today. They are doing tests in the shuttle to make sure the fuel cells are functioning properly. If they don't launch tomorrow the window of opportunity is gone and we will have to reschedule for sometime in Oct. The news is saying two and a half weeks but there is so much political stuff that has to be done beforehand with all the other countries involved.

What people don't realize is NASA isn't alone in the space program, we are partnered with many countries, Canada, Russia, Japan, China, etc...who all have some sort of space program as well. We were supposed to launch and dock at the space station before Russia launches their 3 man spacecraft to meet us there.

Yea, HDNET guys said the window was til something like the 16th. They gotta the Russkie's stuff unloaded right? :) I caught about half of it as I was leaving for work.

Well, I hope they push it because I've got to work again tomorrow and won't be able to watch.

I know....TIVO....maybe it's time to go there.

They reduced the amount of astronauts onboard to six instead of seven b/c they had 17 1/2 tons of equipment, mainly solar panels for the space station. Russia should be launching in the next few days and meeting us up there to build more. In order to dock on the station you have to do a backflip which can take a long time. They were worried there would be delays and possibly have a collision in space with the other ship. Pretty cool stuff.

The goal is to finish the space station by 2010 and retire the entire fleet of spaceships. Lockheed Martin is building another set of shuttles which will go to the moon and allow us to easily relaunch from the moon to mars. It will be much easier to go from there since there isn't an atmosphere or gravity working against you.

They reduced the amount of astronauts onboard to six instead of seven b/c they had 17 1/2 tons of equipment, mainly solar panels for the space station. Russia should be launching in the next few days and meeting us up there to build more. In order to dock on the station you have to do a backflip which can take a long time. They were worried there would be delays and possibly have a collision in space with the other ship. Pretty cool stuff.

The goal is to finish the space station by 2010 and retire the entire fleet of spaceships. Lockheed Martin is building another set of shuttles which will go to the moon and allow us to easily relaunch from the moon to mars. It will be much easier to go from there since there isn't an atmosphere or gravity working against you.

It's too bad we didn't design the Space Station to be a low orbit building facility for moon/mars missions

I watched the launch today, and when those huge rockets fall off, where do they go? Do they come crashing down somewhere on Earth?

For Discovery, NASA had cameras attached to the SRB's and you could watch them fall all the way to the ocean, splashdown, and then bob in the water. NASA had it on their site, and I think Pete had the link. I'm looking for it and if I find it I'll put it up.

If you missed it, HDNET is showing it yet again at 1AM Eastern.

Found the link: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/multimedia/shuttle_videos_search_agent_archive_1.html

Archived