Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Positives from Preseason game

PotomacSkinsFan

I just watched the scrimmage again on my DVR, and I wanted to point out a few positives.

1) The starting D allowed -1 total yards (-11 if you count the hold). Johnson had nowhere to run, and we got pressure on the QB

2) Mike Espy. He was really solid. He got open and made some tough catches too. He should definitely be our sixth receiver.

3) Manuel White. Manuel White made people miss in the open field, lowered his shoulder to give out some punishment, and made some great cathces.

4) Mike Sellars's expanded role in this offense. He'll be even better and even more valuable this year. When he gets a head of steam theres not a player in the league who wants to tackle him (ask Brian Dawkins).

5) jason Campbell. Besides that pick and the fumble (that we recovered), he looked very good: big arm, poise, good decisions, moved in the pocket. Nice scramble for a first, nice dump off to Manuel White.

6) Even Todd Collins threw some really good passes after his first three miserable series.

My point is that I picked up a lot of positives watching the game a second time around. The main problem with our team as I see it right now (besides Portis being hurt) is the drop off from first to second team. Granted that combination of players wil never be on the field together, it was dishearening to see what seemed like a poor effort from the back ups. I'm confident that if we face an injury we have the ability to put in a back up and see him perform well, but I don't think a lot of the backups (as of now) get what it means to be on a Joe Gibbs team. I'm interested to see what Rumph will do for us too.

ps- I tried finding the existing preseason game thread, but everytime I searched there was a "fatal error," so I just started a thread

Archived