Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alternative to Comcast High Speed Internet?

Goaldeje

All right, so three, count 'em, three weeks ago I got Comcast to install their phone service at my house. Been thrilled with the phone service so far, and Cable TV is fine. However, for three, count 'em, three weeks now, I have had no internet at home. For a while, I was able to access using my laptop and a neighbor's (shh, don't tell) wireless account, but even that is down now. Comcast is f'in clueless about what to do. I have called multiple time only to be assured that 24-48 hours will take care of the problem. I have ahd my ticket elevated (whatever the eff that means) more times than I can count.

So my question to the smart people on the board: Is there an alternative to Comcast cable internet that I could use? Does anyone know of anything or has used anything that would work? I am at my wit's end, and ready to give up completely. Any suggestions?

You are running into these problems b/c the cable companies are still trying to hire and train people who know how to install and repair the telecommunications side of their network. Not to mention the equipment they are using is still full of bugs. I don't recommend cable phone service to anyone, it isn't stable enough yet.

As for your options. Try Cavalier Telephone, I used to work there and know that once you get your services up and running they are stable. Depending on your distance you will get better download speeds than Comcast or Cox. If you want fast internet stay away from VZ unless you can get their new fiber to the prem.

Damn three weeks, I would have lost my mind by that point! Adelphia went out on me for 13 days last summer and I was on the phone with the VP's secretary who finally got it fixed. I'd check into DSL or other cable operators. I am still shocked it has been three weeks.

You are running into these problems b/c the cable companies are still trying to hire and train people who know how to install and repair the telecommunications side of their network. Not to mention the equipment they are using is still full of bugs. I don't recommend cable phone service to anyone, it isn't stable enough yet.

As for your options. Try Cavalier Telephone, I used to work there and know that once you get your services up and running they are stable. Depending on your distance you will get better download speeds than Comcast or Cox. If you want fast internet stay away from VZ unless you can get their new fiber to the prem.

Yeah, I've thought about Cavalier and will probably look more into them now. How is it that cable companies have these monopolies?

Yeah, I've thought about Cavalier and will probably look more into them now. How is it that cable companies have these monopolies?

They don't anymore. As of June 1 they have competitors. Cavalier offers IPTV service in Richmond and Verizon isn't rolling out their TV until their fiber project is done.

Stay away from Earthlink, Covad and other companies like that. All they do is directly resell VZ services so you aren't getting anything but a different brand name.

Comcast is the devil's work.

I've had several issues with their Internet and Cable services. The cable service has been pretty solid lately, but my internet service was down for 2 weeks on 2 different occasions. It took an act of God before it was fixed, with many hours on the phone and at home waiting for the cable guy to show up. I was stood up 2 different times.

They gave me a bunch of free weeks of internet service (and free Showtime for 3 months, which never worked). I laughed at the Customer Service rep. I asked her what good was the free service if it didn't even work consistently. Oh well, I have been up and running without any issues for about 6 months now. The service is quite fast, assuming it is up.

I got the Comcast High Speed Internet here in Richmond a few months back because Verizon doesn't offer service in my area. It works ok, but the wireless component SUCKS in the worst way. I am constantly losing connectivity.

Even worse, the a-hole who set up my service created my e-mail address FOR ME, and proceeded to butcher my last name horribly. Thanks moron.

Only real problem I've had is with the internet security package they offer. Be nice if they told you up front that it's incompatible with Windows XP Service Pack 2. Installed it the first time and it literally crashed my computer and forced a system restore. Spent probably 10 hours total on the phone with progressively higher level tech's before someone finally told me about the incompatibility.

At least now their web site tells you that up front, so maybe my pain was worth it to others.

Fact is, when it's up and running, it's money. Just be prepared to deal with less than stellar customer service when things go wrong, which, given we're talking internet technology here, it inevitably will at some point.

Only real problem I've had is with the internet security package they offer. Be nice if they told you up front that it's incompatible with Windows XP Service Pack 2. Installed it the first time and it literally crashed my computer and forced a system restore. Spent probably 10 hours total on the phone with progressively higher level tech's before someone finally told me about the incompatibility.

At least now their web site tells you that up front, so maybe my pain was worth it to others.

Fact is, when it's up and running, it's money. Just be prepared to deal with less than stellar customer service when things go wrong, which, given we're talking internet technology here, it inevitably will at some point.

Interesting, I lost two PC's myself due to the same problem.

:doh:

Archived