Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Three burning questions for this year

gostanford

I think there's three major questions about our team this year that will determine how well we end up.

#1 Can Brunell stay healthy and play as well as he did last year?

- and if not, can Campbell step up to the plate and give us good play?

#2 Will our thin depth at cornerback hurt our defense (to the point where our pass defense is #16 ranked or worse...)

#3 Will someone step up and play decently weak-side linebacker (as well as Lavar did last year- which wasn't amazing)

-If #1 and one other question or both are answered well for the redskins, I believe we will definately be in the super bowl with a record at 12-4 or better. :cheers:

-If only 1 question is answered well, we will lose the division to either Dallas or New York, we will be about the same as last year (10-6 or 9-7) go to wildcard and possibly win (but still lose in divisionals).

-If 0 of 3 are answered well, we will be a 8-8 or worse team, coming in third in the NFC east behind Dallas and New York.

I know theres great expectations for this year and everything... I'm just worried about these three major problem spots for the Redskins. What do you all think?

i don't see how you say that we're thin at cornerback. kenny wright is more than a capable back up, seeing as how he's a proven starter, and most likely could start for any other team right now. ade jimoh had his ups and downs last year, but showed improvement towards the end of the season.

*Search function is up top...*

1) Brunell will stay health and our teams success are highly related. If our team is having success, there will be less heat on Brunell, not many people rushing in, more dropping back. If our team is unsuccessful in their execution, Brunell will be burned by the blitz. Campbell is still a major work in progress, but his raw talent and ability have shown through. We won't be able to judge him until he takes some snaps.

2) Kenny Wright definately has shored up the DB's. We still are a little weak on the safety front, but we should be okay barring no injuries.

3) Again, Rocky and Holdman are strong candidates for the position (Clemons has now moved to the strong side), but we won't be able to tell how good anyone is until we see them in pads. Holdman isn't far removed from the pro-bowl type seasons he had in the past, so don't sleep on him just yet...

1 - Brunell, while having a recent whoopsie-injury problem, might not even need to start 16 games for us, but that's getting a little ahead of myself. Every team in the NFL needs their starting QB to play in every game, so I don't find us much different from anyone else in that category.

2 - With Wright, we have pretty much the same ability as we had in Harris, and he's both younger and cheaper too. Wright was a starting CB on a mediocre pass defense last year, and if you recall that's exactly what Walt Harris was. I'm not all that worried about CB depth, as Wright could still start for the Jaguars. We have three NFL-caliber players at CB.

3 - LaVar barely played for the defense last year. I don't think this defense will miss what he was, but rather could have been greatly improved if he'd played to his potential.

Kenny Wright really isn't that great. He only has 6 INT's after 8 years in the league. And like many other of our players, he is aging. True, he might play great... but it's still not for sure yet.

And Rocky and Holdman haven't proven much yet... i'm not saying none of these guys aren't capable of stepping up and playing well... i'm just saying its still a question.

3 - LaVar barely played for the defense last year. I don't think this defense will miss what he was, but rather could have been greatly improved if he'd played to his potential.

I never said Lavar played well, I just said someone needs to play as decently as he did... which wasn't great by any standards.

Kenny Wright really isn't that great. He only has 6 INT's after 8 years in the league. And like many other of our players, he is aging. True, he might play great... but it's still not for sure yet.

Of course these are all still questions on the team and could lead to problems, but they could also be answered.

Anyway, Kenny Wright this year, at age 28, is nearly as good as Walt Harris, this year, at age 32. Over the course of their careers, Harris is obviously the better player. He started 16 games for the Jags last year, and in '03 he did have 3 picks and 12 PD in Houston. He's also got decent size at 6-1/207. Nobody ever said Wright was a Pro-Bowler in the making, but he's only needed to play nickel. Plus behind him we've always got Ade. :silly:

I never said Lavar played well, I just said someone needs to play as decently as he did... which wasn't great by any standards.

Well if he didn't pay well, then why worry about replacing him? Nearly anyone could play the lazy football he did last year. Clemons could come in and do a better job, but he's been switched to strong-side.

1) that's why we have back-ups. it's up to the coaching staff to ensure #2 can step in and lead/produce.

2) it's true that we don't have starting talent that could step in and play for a sustained period of time.....what team does?

3) LA did play well down the stretch - but he is now gone and the closet racists can play with the PR card. More importantly, who is going to replace the physical presence he provided in rush defense? "Run by me" Holdman?....."I'm a confused rook" McIntosh?

3) LA did play well down the stretch - but he is now gone and the closet racists can play with the PR card.

What are you saying?

That's a not a helpful phrase to toss out indiscriminately. If you just typed before you thought, then you should just apologize for muddying up a thread. If you have something to say, you should just say it.

I think there's three major questions about our team this year that will determine how well we end up.

#1 Can Brunell stay healthy and play as well as he did last year?

- and if not, can Campbell step up to the plate and give us good play?

#2 Will our thin depth at cornerback hurt our defense (to the point where our pass defense is #16 ranked or worse...)

#3 Will someone step up and play decently weak-side linebacker (as well as Lavar did last year- which wasn't amazing)

1 -- Gibbs knows what Brunell capable of and as far as Campbell is concerned, he will be taking snaps this year. It's already been decided. Plus, Campbell has been given a chance to compete for the number 2 spot. Also, if my memory serves me well, Campbell has been pencilled in to take a lot of snaps in the preseason games. Maybe just clean-up duty. Brunell will not be taking this season solo. I do however believe that this may be his last. Let's face it, the legs are not as quik as they used to be but they've got some spark to them still.

2 -- We will be better. Faster players.

3 -- Gregg Williams is not one to rely heavily on star players. He spreads the talent around and given that our defense has been strong for 2 seasons now, it would be wiser to worry about getting our offense stronger. It's no secret that our defense carried many of our wins last year. Tampa Bay playoff game?

Archived