Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin's Punters: Past, Present, and Future

s0crates

Not to take away from Baugh, but the high average is partly due to "quick kicks" from the QB position, these could roll for many extra yards.

Yep, and I think there's a difference between a 44 yarder with hang time and a 50 yard bullet. Can't base *too* much on a one-dimensional stat in a three-dimensional game, though I'd take a number of 'em over Frost.

Matt Turk was a monster, but I always felt Roby's placement was a little better. That being said, Tupa had a great season for us in '04 and I was sad to see him retire. With everyone talking about Baugh and Hayes as athletic threats, noone mentioned that Tupa came into the league as a QB and started most of the season for the Cardinals in 1991 before becoming a full time punter. I was surprised he wasn't used more for fake punts.

Matt Turk was a monster, but I always felt Roby's placement was a little better. That being said, Tupa had a great season for us in '04 and I was sad to see him retire. With everyone talking about Baugh and Hayes as athletic threats, noone mentioned that Tupa came into the league as a QB and started most of the season for the Cardinals in 1991 before becoming a full time punter. I was surprised he wasn't used more for fake punts.
Wow! Excellent point. I had completely forgotten that. Maybe we should bring back Turk. . . How old is he now anyway?

Archived