Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin's Punters: Past, Present, and Future

s0crates

Hi all. We were having a conversation about Redskins punter Derrick Frost's future with the Washington Redskins in another thread. As one might expect, the conversation soon turned to past Redskins punters like Steve Cox, Matt Turk, and Reggie Roby. The mention of such Redskins greats seemed to spark some interest and made me want to pursue the topic further. Anyhow, rather than hijack another thread, I thought I'd start a new discussion about Redskins punters of yesteryear and how much better off we'd be with them today.:silly:

So, which Redskins punter from the past would you like to have competeing with Derrick Frost this year? Or, as impossible as it seems, are you content with Frost's performance?

Here are the stats of the players we were discussing (and one other) to get you started:

Washington Redskins Punters

-Sammy Baugh ('37-'52): 338 punts, 45.1 yard average (2nd all-time), led NFL in punting average an NFL record 4 seasons, averaged an NFL record 51.4 yards per punt in 1940 :notworthy

-Steve Cox ('85-'88): 196 punts, 42.0 yard average, kicked long field goals, kicked last straight-on kick in NFL history

-Reggie Robie ('93-'94): 160 punts, 44.2 yard average, 28% inside the twenty

-Matt Turk ('95-'99): 388 punts, 43.8 yard average, 34% inside the twenty, 3 Pro-Bowls

-Derrick Frost ('05): 76 punts, 40.4 yard average, 30% inside the twenty

Sammy Baugh.. then if we needed another QB.. we'd have that as well
Heck, he might be able to start for us.:D Seriously though, it is hard to compare eras when discussing quarterbacks because of how much the game has changed. However, a 51 yard punting average for a season is amazing regardless of when it was done. In fact, it has never been matched!

Considering this, I geuss Baugh is the obvious answer. I'd also take Cox, Roby, or Turk over what we have now though.

Forgot Tupa. When you punt it 103 times in one year and the number of bad punts can be counted on the fingers of one hand...
OK, OK. Tupa had 103 attempts for a 44.1 yard average in 2004. He certainly deserves consideration. Isn't he available? Maybe we should call him up.

What where Mike Bragg's stats?
I was thinking the same thing. http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=6154[quote name=Flashback: Mike Bragg Made His Mark

By Michael Richman

Special to Redskins.com

]Bragg's Redskins head coach of seven seasons, special teams pioneer George Allen, stressed to him the importance of posting a solid net average: punt distance minus return yardage.

"He'd say the best punter in the league doesn't always lead the league in gross average, but he will lead the league in net average and in downing the ball inside the 10," said Bragg, who aimed for up to 5.1 seconds of hang time and a 35-yard net average. "So that brought more of the team aspect into it because net average wasn't just purely kicking the ball.

"Somebody had to go down and make the tackle. You knew if you hit a frozen rope out there, 50 to 60 yards, it was going to come back 20 or 30 or all the way. So we worked a lot as a team coordinating coverage

]

BraggM-1inside.jpg

Mike Bragg

-Steve Cox ('85-'88): 196 punts, 42.0 yard average, kicked long field goals, kicked last straight-on kick in NFL history

What is a straight-on kick? :whoknows:

I loved him but Tupa had a back injury that at his age, is tough to recover from. I think he's done. The front office seemed to think so. :(

Not to take away from Baugh, but the high average is partly due to "quick kicks" from the QB position, these could roll for many extra yards.

I always like Jeff Hayes, maybe the best athlete (other than Baugh) we had at punter, could run a fake like no other. The little guy could do a two handed dunk with a basketball, too.

What is a straight-on kick? :whoknows:

I loved him but Tupa had a back injury that at his age, is tough to recover from. I think he's done. The front office seemed to think so. :(

A straight on kick is when someone lines up directly behind the ball and runs straight forward and kicks it. This is opposed to the modern soccer-style kickers, who line up behind the ball at an angle.

I'd take any one of those guys over Frost.

I'd also take Jeff Hayes, Kelly Goodburn, Tom Barnhardt and Bryan Barker over Frost.

The guy was a poor kicker last year and when he choked in the playoff game against Tampa, that sealed it for me.

How the hell can you choke punting a ball?

I can't believe he's back as the incumbent this training camp.....he must be "super smart" too. :silly:

About time someone mentioned Jeff Hayes. Wasn't that dude really quick? I loved how Gibbs would use a fake punt every now and then :) Was he a great punter though, man I don't really remember.

I liked Tom Tupa because you never really had to worry about it when he was punting. Frost blew last season.

OK, by popular demand, Mike Bragg's stats as a Redskin ('68-'79):

He had 896 punts and 39.9 yards per punt. Also of interest, he was 2 for 2 passing in 1978 for 69 yards, and he had two rushes for 25 yards in 1970. So, he wasn't the strongest punter statistically, but he had longevity and, as someone already mentioned, he could execute a fake. Plus, he was a Virginia kid. :D

While I'm at it, here are Jeff Hayes stats who was also mentioned ('82-'85):

211 punts, 39.0 yard average, 26% inside the 20 yard line. He also demonstrated the ability to run a fake, carrying the ball 4 times for 76 yards.

Mike Bragg came out of college as one of the best punters in the nation. He was capable of averaging 44 or 45 yards a kick in the NFL, but George Allen focused on hang time and net average so Bragg never put up the overall average numbers to land him in the pro bowl.

Archived