Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins To Sign 8 Undrafted Rookies

End2round2sanders

Chijioke Onyenegecha, CB, Oklahoma

Onyenegecha, 6-1 and 215 pounds, became a full-time starter last year for the Sooners. He had 31 tackles (18 solo) last season, broke up seven passes and had one interception that he returned 63 yards for a touchdown. He was a second-team All-Big 12 selection.

I like this signing... was hoping we would snag him. Kid is big and fast, just a little Raw. Perfect project type CB to learn under Sean Springs!!!

Good Job fellas!!

Chijioke Onyenegecha, CB, Oklahoma

Onyenegecha, 6-1 and 215 pounds, became a full-time starter last year for the Sooners. He had 31 tackles (18 solo) last season, broke up seven passes and had one interception that he returned 63 yards for a touchdown. He was a second-team All-Big 12 selection.

!

Based on his name alone--if Spurrier was still here there is no way we would have signed him. It would have been interesting to hear what he would have come up with.

any terp fans know anything about fenner?

He's 5'11", about 185-190 lbs. He didn't go to the combine but at the UMD Pro-day he ran a 4.32 40. Terrific speed, but not terribly strong and has a tendency to be sloppy with the ball (drop the easy ones and catch the hard ones). Others who know more than I do have said he is a straight line receiver, as in he can do the sprints but does not run good patterns. He's also been pretty fragile, always seeming to have ankle or hammy problems. In 2005 he was hurt against Navy, then missed the next game and never really showed the burst he did in 2004. For this reason, it is unlikely he would be able to be a factor on special teams. On a disappointing team, he was generally regarded as one of the most disappointing players.

Given all that, speed is always an asset and is likely what has earned him a chance with the Skins. If he can stay healthy and focused, he could be an interesting 3rd or 4th receiver. :whoknows:

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=37155&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport

Chijioke Onyenegecha

Defensive back

Height: 6-foot-1

Weight: 202 pounds

Class Year: Sr

Experience: 1V

Prior School: City College of San Francisco

Hometown: Richmond, CA

NFL Draft Summary

Frank Coyle: He is a physical, raw, cover man with the athletic ability to make a roster, but needs to show quick development in several critical areas. Nice upside with the package to be a gunner on special teams while he develops. He is a super steal on the second day. [More]

Pros: Onyenegecha has all the skills needed to become a quality NFL corner — size, speed and tackling ability. He has a muscular, athletic frame with fine speed and agility. He is very aggressive in both run support and coverage and plays a physical game with strong hands that enable him to play bump-and-run well. In coverage, he can run with most receivers and matches up well with big wideouts. In run support, he ranks with any corner in this class and has powerful tackling skills.

Cons: He is from Nigeria and is still learning the finer points of the game. He needs to improve his ball instincts and play recognition after only two seasons in Division I. He needs further development on his basic technique and reads to be ready to cover NFL-caliber receivers. He is not yet comfortable in zone coverage and needs development before playing at the pro level. He can lose sight of the ball in the air and allow big plays that have hurt his final grade.

Numbers: At the Combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds with a 34.5” vertical jump and a 9’10” broad jump. He did 16 reps in 225-pound bench press.

Skinny: He is a physical, raw, cover man with the athletic ability to make a roster, but needs to show quick development in several critical areas. Nice upside with the package to be a gunner on special teams while he develops. He is a super steal on the second day.

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Big_12/2004_Previews/Oklahoma_defense.htm

Star of the defense: Senior DE Dan Cody

Player that has to step up and become a star: Junior LB Clint Ingram

Unsung star on the rise: Junior CB Chijioke Onyenegecha

Best pro prospect: Onyenegecha

Top three all-star candidates: 1) Cody, 2) LB Lance Mitchell, 3) S Donte Nicholson

Strength of the defense: Secondary, defensive end

Weakness of the defense: Defensive tackle depth, outside linebacker

CB Chijioke Onyenegecha, Jr. - While technically a backup coming out of spring ball, Onyenegecha has the talent to be one of the best corners in the Big XII if he isn't bothered by the hamstring problem that plagued him this spring. After getting out of his commitment to Arizona State, the JUCO superstar has all the tools to be the best OU defensive back since Roy Williams. At 6-3, he can hang with any sized receiver and can stay with any speed player with his 4.3 wheels

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=6388&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport

Manaia Brown

Defensive Line

Height: 6-foot-4

Weight: 310 pounds

Class Year: Sr

Experience: 3V

Prior School: University of Nebraska

Hometown: West Valley City, UT

NFL Draft Summary

Frank Coyle: May be the hidden gem of this fine DL class with little notoriety that probably pushes him to the early second day of the draft. He has the talent to start and maybe early in his NFL career. [More]

Main | Stats | Scouting Report

Pros: Athletic senior tackle completed a fine three-year stay with the Cougars, starting since early in his junior season after transferring from Nebraska. Brown is a strong, wide-body tackle with good size, mobility and power that translates well to the playing field. He has good initial quickness that allows him to penetrate the backfield and fill the holes against the run. He has the tools to become an NFL starter after a career that saw continuous interruption until late in his stay with the Cougars. He responded with better conditioning and discipline over his final two years that drew the attention of NFL scouts.

Cons: He has been inconsistent on the field, especially during his early career looked mostly like an underachiever who lacked discipline. He has good change-of-direction skills, but can struggle once his initial move is controlled. He displays a good bull rush, but few developed moves after his initial charge. As a pass rusher, he relies on his first move of quickness and power to get past the blocker and fails to counter with additional moves.

Numbers: As a senior, he made 31 tackles with three tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks. He has a rare blend of speed, size and athleticism that is partially evidenced by his 35-inch vertical jump at over 310 pounds At the Combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 5.15 seconds with 21 reps in the 225-pound bench press, a 34.5-inch vertical jump and a 9-3 broad jump.

Skinny: May be the hidden gem of this fine DL class with little notoriety that probably pushes him to the early second day of the draft. He has the talent to start and maybe early in his NFL career.

Being in Oklahoma I've watched Onyenegecha (Ima gonna getcha) play. He's not too bad, never quite lived up to the hype coming out of junior college. If I remember correctly he was going to be the best CB in a while here. I can remember him giving up a few big plays here and there.

Here's a link to a short discussion

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68321

Being in Oklahoma I've watched Onyenegecha (Ima gonna getcha) play. He's not too bad, never quite lived up to the hype coming out of junior college. If I remember correctly he was going to be the best CB in a while here. I can remember him giving up a few big plays here and there.

Here's a link to a short discussion

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68321

Finally, somebody to push Ade! ;) (I kid, I kid! I'm a fan of Jimoh's development.)

I like the talent we've signed among the UDFA's. Havner in particular has the potential to become our MLB in a year or two. He was a team leader and a warrior at UCLA. Good player. Injuries a couple of years ago seem to have scared people away, otherwise he'd have been a 3rd rounder or so. Great value.

I tried to look up some information on him and on every site I've seen he is projected to go Round 4-5. Most sites consistently list him around a 4.5 in the 40 but I did find the following site which puts him at a 4.4. Does anyone have access to what he ran on his pro-day?

Pro Day per NFL.com

Chijioke Onyenegecha DB Onyenegecha (6-1 3/8, 212) ran the 40 in 4.46 and 4.48. He had a 35½-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-2 broad jump, a 4.34 short shuttle and a 7.23 in the three-cone drill.

There is always a big push to sign UDFA the day after the draft and it looks like we got some good ones: The CB whose name we can't pronounce and the LB from Tennessee who was a Butkis finalist. Just remember only one UDFA made the squad last year (the LB with the dreds from Cali) and he was cut later in the season.

I think Buck Ortega from Miami will work really well in the Skins offense.

He showed flashes at tight end for Miami, but he really couldn't get a lot of balls thrown his way due to the problems they were having as an offensive unit. (They did change o-coordinator, qb coach, rb coach, wr coach, and oline coach)

He also came in as a qb and has a decent arm, so maybe he could be involved with a trick play or something like that.

There is always a big push to sign UDFA the day after the draft and it looks like we got some good ones: The CB whose name we can't pronounce and the LB from Tennessee who was a Butkis finalist. Just remember only one UDFA made the squad last year (the LB with the dreds from Cali) and he was cut later in the season.

Exactly... but thats what a practice squad is for!!

Havner and the Corner from OU, are perfect for our PS. Havner has an outside shot at making the team right off the bat.

Exactly... but thats what a practice squad is for!!

Havner and the Corner from OU, are perfect for our PS. Havner has an outside shot at making the team right off the bat.

You're right - good guys for the practice squad. I was trying to temper some of the posts in this thread about UDFA that are gonna make big plays for us in '06.

David Lonie, P, California

Lonie is a 6-6, 220-pound punter who hails from Australia. He turns 27 years old on May 6. In 1996, Lonie competed in the Pan Pacific Games as a decathlete and pole vaulter, representing Australia. Last season for the Golden Bears, Lonie logged 61 punts for a 41.9-yard average.

Horrayy, someone to push Frost :applause:

:laugh: A 26 year old college player?? That's a hoot, but I am with Mr. Grimm on this one. Anyone but Frost.

Archived