Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Earth country Puerto Rico runs out of cash. Closes schools/government

Puerto Rican Government Faces Shut Down

And the government of Puerto Rico has been shut down after it ran out of money following a dispute between lawmakers and the island’s governor. Puerto Rico"s sixteen hundred state schools have been shut, leaving half a million students and forty thousand teachers with no classes. Nearly one hundred thousand government workers have been temporarily left without jobs.

See it is between the local governments!

What is America suppposed to be. Whats the current.

I really think the answer to this belongs in another thread, but I'll touch on it quickly here.

Recently there was a thread about what one word you would use to describe what the USA was to an alien who had landed here. The word I used was "Opportunity". This country was founded on the idea that each individual would have the opportunity to make as much or as little of themselves as they chose, without interference from the government or impediment due to their race, religion, etc...

The word I would use to describe modern American society is different. It's "entitlement". That is the idea that we are owed certain things simply by the fact that we were lucky enough to be born here in the USA. Espeically in that many of those things we now expect the government to provide for us are NOT powers given to the US Government by the Constitution.

An example:....

The Opportunity Country says that no child can be turned away from a school that their parents have enrolled them in because of their race, religion, part of town their from, etc... So long as the school and the parents can come to a workable arrangement (monetarily, etc...) the child cannot be barred from attending.

The Entitlement Country says that all children under the age of 16 MUST attend a minimum of 180 of public education every year or have it proven to the state that the child is enrolled in an alternative, private educational facility. It also says that public monies will be taken from all citizens in the form of taxes to pay for that education.

Archived