Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rivals.com - Another draft shot at the Skins...

thelarkascend1ng

"Frank Coyle" says...

Frank Coyle: McIntosh was selected by the Redskins after a trade with the Jets. McIntosh is a fine athlete who fills a pressing need after the loss of veteran Lavar Arrington to the Giants. They paid a high price to move up, surrendering all late picks plus their No. 2 pick next year in a very fooish move.

Page here...

i'm getting tired of seeing this stuff.

As far as im concerned, when your dealing with #2's and stuff. If you see a guy you like, and its gonna cost you them to move up and get him. You just do it.

If McIntosh was our guy, which is sounds like he was, then its worth it. I mean there is no telling the trash that could be there next year at our 2nd round pick that was gave away.

We saw a guy we wanted, and we gave up some 2's to get him. So what. We basically only gave up one number 2 b/c we still picked in the 2nd. And there is no telling if a guy like this would be there next year. This was our guy, he's going to be able to help us this year. How many tackles would our 2007 2nd round draft pick get in 2006?

The thing which excites me the most about Rocky is how he will allow Greg Williams to use other players in the defense. His speed and athleticism mean he will be able to cover tight ends (and there are some good ones in the east) and pick guys up coming out of the backfield. This will allow more freedom with blitzing packages, especially using strong side linebacker Marcus Washington and the man eater Sean Taylor. I think he could end up having a shut down corner kind of role in the defense. You might not hear his name being called every down, but he will definately have an impact on the defense. That does not mean I think he will have the impact of a champ or Springs, but he could make the defense a lot better.

I think its more about the #2 next year that makes it a foolish move. Personally, I agree that you guys paid a steep price for one guy. Whether or not it was 'fooish' will be determined when Rocky takes the field.

to move up we HAD to trade next years' 2nd... we had no third this year (brandon lloyd trade) so to make the trade equal on that draft value chart, the 2nd next year was necessary to pull the trigger... and if Gibbs/Williams felt the trade had to be made, then i'm going to support it

It's interesting how the sides in this discussion are lining up. On the one hand, you have the fans and "football" people who seem to think that the 'Skins got some decent raw materials to work with and perhaps made nice finds with the UT linebacker Simon and the DT from Georgia, Golston. The opposing faction is made up of the "Draftniks", those whose livelihood, hobby or obsession is the draft. They are especially horrified by Gibbs' spendthrift use of precious draft picks for McIntosh and as trade bait (see, the Brunell, Portis Lloyd or any number of other deals), and thus are determined to condemn the Redskins draft for defiling their prized institution (as an aside, I can picture a Gollum-like creature crouching in a dark corner moaning "Don't trade the Preeecious, not the Preeecious!") As most of the mediots make their living by quoting the draftniks, I guess we will hear plenty of C, D and even lower grades. I think most of us fans, however, are pleasantly pleased to have gotten McIntosh after our "draft weekend" ended following our free agency signings. :2cents:

That's his job to give his opinion and his has his reasons for feelin that way.

Most redskins fans will believe in Gibbs and co. 100% no matter what they do, while on the other hand others will have their own minds and disagree.

I don't think all media hates us like some people and i have no problem with his assesment of our draft. ( he did exaggerate how we gave up "all late picks")

Well right now it does look like we did give up a little much to move up to get him, but i trust Gibbs and Williams. They moved up to get the player that they wanted and I'll go with their judgment over a writer's ANYDAY.

Archived