Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you make of this quote from Daryl Gardener?

Larry Brown #43

Tom and Others

Marvin Lewis was D Coordinator for Baltimore from 96-01, not 99-01. His first 3 years they were atrocious. Partly due to the complicated scheme, but mostly due to a terrible secondary and marginal D line talent.

From 98-2000 they added Duane Starks, Chris McCallister, Rod Woodson, Mike McCrary, and Tony Siragusa. They drafted Lewis in 96, and Boulware and Sharper in 97 so those three studs were just coming into their own by 98.

By 98 you had an amazing front seven but a suspect secondary. After they added McCallister in the 99 draft it completed the defense. They were #2 overall that year, #2 in 2000, and #2 last year. Just wanted to get all the facts straight.

Darryl and Darrell had better get their noses in a playbook then, no one is paying them to critique the system, if they don't know it yet they are not doing their jobs. Its not like Marvin Lewis is a complete lunatic, he may be overrated, but you can't ignore a Super Bowl ring bought and paid for by his D.

Originally posted by focker1636

Little Danny Snyder won't give Lewis 5 years to make his schemes work.

5 years? Who would? I think if you don't have a good D by the end of the first year, you either bring in more talent or fire the D Coordinator.

I've never seen a D Coordinator look real bad his first year and then turn the D around, and if there was one I'm forgetting, I'm sure it was a question of talent and while we may need some help on the DLine, there is talent on this D.

Damn Diggler, I stand corrected.....Sorry Tom.......I just did an hour's worth of research and nobody on the freakin' net can get their facts straight.

go check this link out, it's at NFL.com and *they* have it wrong ......http://www.nfl.com/teams/coaching/WAS.html

some reputable sites quote ML as coaching from 99-01.......96-98 are like the "lost years" or something.

After reading Diggler's post, I did some more research. I actually found a 1996 Ravens team photo with Marv in there next to Ted Marchibroda. Dig's da' man.

I apologize for misleading anyone, I was mislead myself.

I would rather the defense suck right now and be great later in the year and next year than just decent right now and pretty good later in the year. It was never likely that in Spurrier's and Lewis' first years we were going to win the Super Bowl anyway. We didn't bring in Spurrier or Lewis to doubt them after 2 weeks of their first year. I know it's been a long decade of waiting, but jesus, let's give the new coaches more than a couple of weeks before turning on them.

I also don't understand why the same people say Lewis sucks, but also say he's definitely gone after this year to be head coach elsewhere. If the D sucks like you're saying all year, why would he be hired? He wasn't in the past 2 years after his D won Baltimore the Super Bowl.

I think if you wanted to be most likely to make the playoffs this year, but not win the Super Bowl, we should have stayed with Marty. Spurrier and Lewis required the team to go through a whole new adjustment period, so the 'skins may not make the playoffs, or may not go all the way. But I think there's a much better chance that when we get good, we will get REALLY good and be the kind of team that puts people away. With Marty I think the best we could hope for would be to be like the Bears and be in every game, but also allow any other decent team to be in every game, and be unlikely to win it all because you can't count on winning every game in the 4th quarter, especially if you can't pass.

I'll tell you who's looking pretty good right now is Ray Rhodes and the Denver D. But guess what- it's his 2nd year there! And their D wasn't that great last year. Some learning and stability is required.

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

Thanks for the info Tom, but DAMN that's bad news. Those were just the kind of numbers I was afraid of. By the time our guys figure out this defense they'll have either moved on to other teams or will be past their prime. :gus:

Or Snyder would've fire Lewis long before the defense even had a chance to "get it". :rolleyes:

The problem with that Tom(giants) is that we can't predict how long some of our key players are going to stay put here. The Ravens defensive players didn't get fat paychecks until after several years of learning the defense and becoming pro-bowl players.

Unfortunately, we already have pro-bowl players (even though they didn't play like it monday), and some of those players have already received fat paychecks.:shootinth

Archived