Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do you LOVE the Redskins?

shotstoppa

I grew up with the Skins...we lived in Northern VA and my dad was a HARDCORE Redskins fan...it was like a religion in our household and Joe Gibbs was the Pope...I still remember those days...70 Chip, The Quarter, the 1991 Skins steamrolling the NFC...like they were yesterday.

I live in Tampa now, but I'm a Redskins fan 4 LIFE!!! :point2sky

I've been a skins fan as long as I can remember. I remember my dad taking me out to the games at RFK when I was a kid in the late 80's and early 90's.

I loved those little black kids that used to beat on the buckets in the underpasses on the way to the stadium. I loved that feeling you got when you first walked out to see the field, I loved how bright and colorful the uniforms looked and how green the field was, I remember tripping up the stairs many a times on my way up to the seats. It was like I couldn't take my eyes off it.

I miss those games at RFK. We had season tickets and the same people would always be near you. It was like everybody kind of knew each other. There was this old guy who always smoked a pipe that smelled so good. And a couple old black guys who used to sneak in their liquor in a fake binoculars case! haha And even though we didn't have the best seats I still loved them cuz we were at the top of the upper deck and could look outside the stadium and look out over the city.

"the quarter" is my main reason

-funny little story-

1993 season. My family wasn't skins fans at all. We're from South Dakota, so I was the fisrt skins fan in our family - because of SB22. I'd gotten my younger brother to join me as well. We're sitting down to dinner I was 16 or so and my bro was 11. We're both sitting there - silent - as though we'd just gotten back from a funeral. My parents could tell there was something seriously wrong and they grew more concerned as the meal went on. Then my mom asks what was wrong with us.

"We got swept by the Cardinals."

They didn't know how to react. There has never been a love for a sports team like that ever in our family - it was funny to see their reactions looking back on it now. :)

Archived