Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do you LOVE the Redskins?

shotstoppa

So I was hanging out with a co-worker the other day and she asked me about things that I truly love - the Redskins of course being in there. Suddenly, without even a blink, and I don't think she was being condescending, but she plainly asked "what do you love about them?" This got me thinking and I came up with the following...

I think it all boils down to faith. Having faith in something that we have very little control over. I mean, I buy season tickets and some of that money goes to the free agents and I do go to the home games so I'm part of the 12th man, but other than that, I have NO control over how this team performs. I don't know about you guys, but knowing that my weekend can either be made or broken by the 3 and a half hours of Redskins football is pretty comforting. Most of all, I love the CULTURE of the Redskins. Being around the fans, the team, the city is all so encapsulating it just makes you believe that this team is your own.

I just wanted to post this out there and see what my fellow 'Skins fanatics thought and what their reasons for loving the Redskins are...

Let me know, and HAIL.

:logo:

I love the Redskins because it's been a family tradition, MOST of my family has unconditional love for the Redskins. When I was born, my parents got me hooked on the Redskins instantly. Also the culture, and our history. I also love the Redskins because most underestimate us, so I love seeing the expressions on the faces of those who we've proved wrong. It's a true unconditional love for the Redskins. I find us being the MOST original and unique team out there.

I been a skins fan since gibb's 3rd super bowl win, and ever since then I have grown to love the redskins because their the home town team. When you go thru the good and bad seasons with a team there is nothing else to do besides fall in love with them.

The 1st Redskins game I watched was SB 17 when I was 10...The colors of the uniform gripped me! Then, as a teenager, they just kept winning, back in the 80's and I felt like they could do no wrong. I had no real father figure growing up so I suppose the Redskins just kind of became my father figure. They certainly kept me out of trouble...I was so consumed in them, I didn't fall into drugs and things like that.

The movie "Fever Pitch" pretty well sums up my life, except that it is with the redskins not the Red Sox. Oh, but I am "normal", I suppose, with a wife and 2 kids...I just feel like I'm 13 yrs old every time the Skins play.

Because my earliest football memory was watching the 'skins win the Super Bowl with my dad. I think that the tradition the 'skins hold just makes them elite, someone you can cheer for even when they are 5-11 or 6-10.

well, most people are born into fan bases. for me, i just cheer for the skins cuz they're the home team. i don't buy into people loving an organization for its culture or its character... because all of that changes, and sometimes changes greatly with coaches, owners, managers, players, etc. teams are really not that consistent in the long run, and i think people just cheer for whatever team they want to... and most often it's the home team.

my Dad was a Colts fan and his Dad the president of one of the fan clubs, they dipped town and my dad took me to redskins games, I became a fan, then years later the Ravens came to town, all my friends became Ravens fans and I felt no need to leave my team because Baltimore got a team back. My father maintains his Redskins loyalty as well. Go skins!

Why does anyone love any particular team? I happened to start following football in Gibbs' first year. I was lucky I guess that I started following them in the 80s when they had success year after year considering there're the home team in Va. Once you make that connection, I think its hard to give it up. I honestly don't know how people that weren't fans during the 80s and early 90s were able to stomach a few of our lessor years. I know they tried my patience, but I guess I had that connection solidifed with 3 SB rings.

The old man was a long time Skins fan having grown up in Bethesda during the 40's and 50's (my grandfather was an M.D. in Public Health). He was so psyched when George Allen came and brought a winner. I got hooked during the run to Super Bowl VII. I almost cried when Kilmer's pass hit the crossbar instead of a wide open Jerry Smith in the back of the endzone.

The first memory of my entire life was watching the last super bowl that we won and Ive been hooked since. I love the sport of football, playing it watching, it spending way too much time reading about it. Ive dealt a whole lot of losing seasons and the sadness that came with norv and spurrier coaching always remembering how beautiful that first game i watched was. Our team is starting to look like that and this season especially since at college i got roomed with a Cowboys fan has got me loving my skins more than ever. HAIL!

1. Tradition - the Redskins are one of the oldest teams in the league, and that's always been part of their appeal to me.

2. Family - we've been 'Skins fans since the 60's when my grandparents lived in DC. My grandma was forever showing up with Redskins gear for me to wear since my earliest years.

3. Proximity - because everyone likes to root for the home team.

4. The Hogettes - any team whose biggest fans are a group of hefty fellows who wear dresses and pig noses--and are taken seriously--is pretty badass in my book.

5. Joe Gibbs - his teams were great when I was a tiny little kid and had just begun watching football.

6. Our running backs - Riggins, Riggs, Byner, Allen, Davis, Portis--each among the league's best in his time, and each is/was a physical player who would do his damnedest to run through a brick wall if it stood between him and the end zone. They epitomize what I love about football.

7. What else? They're the freakin' Redskins.:logo:

Since 1980, I've been a Redskins fan! I became a Skins fan due to my older brother and other family members. I remember at a young age watching the Redskins play football on t.v. while I was over my aunt's house. Everyone was so excited especially when they played the Cowboys! It was then I became forever hooked on the Washington Redskins...It was also Joe Gibbs first tenure as the coach of the Redskins.

Over many years, I have also enjoyed the wonderful support, celebrations, tailgates and many other fun times...too much to list.

The Extremeskins message board alone is something we are privilege to have for our enjoyment as a Washington Redskins fan!

Wecolme back Coach Gibbs and thank you for bringing "Winning" back to this organization again!

I first started following the skins in 1994 at the age of 7 (Norv's first season...yuck). I became a fan of the Redskins because it was always a habit of mine to root for the home team no matter what. After the embarassing 3-13 performance that season, kids at school started laughing at me for supporting a team that played so bad.

The next year, I came across a book in the school library about the Redskins, and I started reading it. I had no idea how dominating the skins used to be. If your only exposure to the Redskins was Norv Turner's first season, would you have believed they made five superbowls and won three? I sure didn't! I was awestruck. I then thought, why are they such a poor team nowadays if they were so good only a few years ago. I soon realized the answer was Joe Gibbs, or rather the absence of Joe Gibbs.

After that, I always held that the skins will only return to glory once Joe Gibbs returns to the Redskins, and I predicted he someday would. Every season, I put up with seasons that ranged from painfully mediocre to excruciatingly awful, in the hope that Joe Gibbs would return.

And of course, on my 17th birthday, my childhood wish was granted! Gibbs is back! Best birthday present ever! I would have stayed a diehard fan even if the skins went 0-16 every season and were shut out every game, but I am so glad that I can experience now what I couldn't the first time round! HTTR!!

OM I loved your post, I bleed Burgandy and Gold ever since I can remember originally because I wanted to be with my Grandfather and Dad ever since 1990 I have taken my love for the Skins deeper than both of them combined which is remarkable because the last 16 years have been very rough and trying at times. But there is coming a day very soon my Redskin brothers and sisters when we will Win a Super Bowl and we will see all of the fair weather fans that left us while we were down. But we will look at each other and know what the TRUE Skins fans have been through. I love this organization so much with every fiber of my body, OM said it best as we are made up at our core of Burgandy and Gold.

HAIL

Grew up into Redskins fandom in my family, every Sunday in the fall as far back as I can remember involved trying to do homework during a Skins game, whether it was sitting there working on my Spelling workbook in between commercials during grade school or trying to type a paper in between commercials during high school. My love grew over the top when I finally got to go to my first game my sophomore year of high school when my dad finally made the season tickets list for him, my older brother, and myself. Of course the Spurrier years were a disaster to witness, but the very first home game with Gibbs back just set it in stone for me, and I've never once questioned my belief in all things Redskins. Even now down in Tampa I proudly wear Redskins gear all over the place and occasionally random people will say to me they like Gibbs and the Redskins, which is good to hear in this sea of Bucs fans.

Archived