Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scouts Divided by Mike Haas (South Oregon Times)

Fergasun

Interesting article...

Scouts Divided by Mike Haas

This year’s draft class is short on top-tier receivers, so Oregon State’s Mike Hass is sure to get some attention. After all, he was productive for the Beavers, gaining over 1,000 yards in three straight seasons.And he’s a well-built, 210-pounder, the kind of receiver who can beat a jam on the line or break a tackle in the open field. But while most experts see Hass as a first day draft pick, this week’s panel of scouts gave him a mixed review.

“Haas has a lot going for him,” said our first scout Gib Tiscar. Tiscar worked for the Northwestern Scouting Alliance for over 25 years. “I think he has the potential to be a Ricky Proehl type or a Wayne Chrebet type.”

Our second scout, Cas Boigt of Stopwatch Independent, offered a different evaluation. “Haas reminds me a lot of Brandon Stokely, with a little bit of Joe Juravicius thrown in.” Both scouts agree that Hass is smart and hard working. Both concede that he isn’t a superlative athlete. “He’s not athletic the way (Oregon’s) Demetrius Williams is athletic,” Tiscar explained. “He’s more in the mold of, say, Brian Finneran.” Boigt concurred. “Bass isn’t naturally fast, but he’s heady and uses brains instead of brawn. And he’s a great kid who won’t mouth off to his coach or wear baggy pants or showboat.”

This week’s third scout, veteran Division II coach Irving Faire, offered a markedly different evaluation of Bass. “I look at Bass and I see Rob Moore, the old Jets receiver, or maybe Robert Ferguson of the Packers,” Faire said.

Faire won hundreds of games as a head coach despite a minor handicap: he was born colorblind. While his affliction ruined his childhood dream of becoming a railroad conductor, Faire’s color-blindness was only a minor obstacle when coaching. “One team wears white, the other wears dark,” he joked.

Faire disagreed with the other scouts about Hass’ athleticism. “He’s about as fast as Williams. Heck, he’s faster than (Michigan’s) Jason Avant. He cuts pretty well, too.” And while Faire agrees that Hass is smart and industrious, “dozens of prospects have made similar sacrifices in the weight room and film room. It doesn’t take Einstein to catch a football.”

Tiscar and Boigt politely chuckled off Faire’s comments. “Hass as athletic as the other receivers in the draft? Please,” Tiscar said. “It’s as plain as the nose on his face. He’s less athletic, but smarter. Period.”

Our trio of experts were also divided about Hass’ long-term potential. Tiscar believes that Hass has considerable upside. “If he keeps working, he has Hall of Fame potential,” Tiscar said. “He may eventually be mentioned in the same breath as Steve Largent, or Fred Biletnikoff.”

Boigt was far more skeptical. “Hass is like a shorter Ed McCaffrey, or a slower Tim Dwight, or a slightly bigger Phil McConkey,” Boigt said. “With his physical play, he could move to cornerback and be a Jason Sehorn type, but he’s more of a role player on offense.” Boigt did note that Hass’ physical style might make him an ideal special teamer. “He could be a Steve Tasker type on special teams.”

Faire said that Hass could develop into Darrell Jackson, but is more likely to become a career slot receiver in the Jabar Gaffney mold. Again, Boigt and Tiscar were skeptical of Faire’s comparisons. “Comparing Hass to Jackson is like comparing golden apples to red apples, or something,” Boigt said.

After watching film of Hass, two of our scouts (Faire had another commitment) broke down tape of Division III star Adam Chang, who is moving up some draft boards after a 13-touchdown season for tiny St. Stephens College of Eugene. Chang, the Charioteers all-time leading receiver, moved to America from Hong Kong in 1999. His mother was Mandarin, his father an American forklift salesman.

Tiscar and Boigt were impressed by the small school wonder. “He reminds me of a cross between Hines Ward and Johnnie Morton,” Tiscar said. Added Boigt: “I see him bulking up, moving to linebacker, and making an impact the way Dat Nguyen did in Dallas.”

Archived