Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ahmed Brooks dismissed from school - Possible Supplemental Draft Pick

21dave

I remember watching him at Hylton, he was a stud. I know he has had injury concerns (and character concerns) recently, but I would use a mid-round supplemental draft pick on him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2387598

Virginia dismisses three potential starters on defenseBy Joe Schad

ESPN.com

Virginia Coach Al Groh dismissed linebacker Ahmad Brooks, defensive end Vince Redd and cornerback Tony Franklin from the team on Tuesday.

"It's best for us and the players to move on from these circumstances," Groh said at a news conference in Charlottesville, one day before the Cavaliers begin spring practice.

All three players were potential starters on defense, but Groh said the losses will not affect Virginia's outlook this season.

Franklin, a senior who was expected to start at safety, was arrested for marijuana possession on Dec. 4. Franklin and Redd, a junior and possible starter at defensive end, were among the Cavaliers suspended for violating team rules last season.

"It really doesn't change our prospectus when you consider two of the three players weren't even a part of what the team was able to do in Nashville [at the Music City Bowl]," Groh said. "It's essential internally that we have the discipline to do things the right way and not just chase talent for talent's sake. That's what we're doing."

Brooks, a senior, led Virginia in tackles as a freshman and sophomore but played in only six games during an injury-riddled 2005. As a sophomore, Brooks was All-ACC and a Butkus Award finalist. But he ballooned to 270 pounds as he struggled to recover from knee and ankle injuries last year.

In January, Brooks announced he would not enter the NFL draft. Now, transfering to a lower-division school or entering the NFL's supplemental draft are options. Brooks, once viewed as a first-round prospect, chose to return in large part, however, because his stock had slipped.

"It is a privelege and not a right to wear a Cavaliers jersey and to represent our university and community," Groh said. "There are certain things that are vital and those things come into sharper focus and are multiplied when you're rebuilding, as we are. That's focus, commitment and dependability."

Joe Schad is ESPN TV's national college football reporter.

Can someone explain what the supplimental draft is? Although I have always been a skins fan as long as I can remember, I was never too interested in football until last year, my first year at the University of Maryland. Who usually picks in this draft? What is this draft all about? Why haven't I heard more about it. I watched the real draft last year, but don't remember the supplimental draft.

I could see Cleveland coming in and solidifying their front seven. If that's the case I think they can win the AFC north.It would be a great pickup for the 49ers as well. I was hoping the Cowboys would do it, but with the addition of Akin Ayodele that seems beyond unlikely.

Can someone explain what the supplimental draft is? Although I have always been a skins fan as long as I can remember, I was never too interested in football until last year, my first year at the University of Maryland. Who usually picks in this draft? What is this draft all about? Why haven't I heard more about it. I watched the real draft last year, but don't remember the supplimental draft.

There is a good breakdown here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

This might help, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

"There are certain things that are vital and those things come into sharper focus and are multiplied when you're rebuilding, as we are."

If you're rebuilding then why would you say, "It really doesn't change our prospectus", especially when all three were projected starters?

Gotta love Al "Miracle" Groh. :doh1:

From having friends that work closely with the UVA football players, I can tell you guys this is not a player we want on the Skins. He is a tremendous talent, but he is a team cancer. Considering his off the field issues, and the fact that many feel his knee is only going to get worse over time this is a definite "no way"!

At this point I think his best bet is trying a lower division school and getting a fresh start. I would think there are a few Division I-AA schools that would love to have him.

Like the William and Mary Tribe for example...I'm sure we wouldn't be adverse to Ahmad dominating people for a season.

As for the supplemental draft if he enters, I think the highest price I would pay is a 5th. He is a beast when healthy and motivated, but for someone to throw away that kind of potential, there must be an issue.

Like the William and Mary Tribe for example...I'm sure we wouldn't be adverse to Ahmad dominating people for a season.

As for the supplemental draft if he enters, I can't imagine anyone advocating giving up our 2nd round pick for Brooks. So you want us to get him with the 5th, at best? I feel like someone will take a shot on him in the 4th or with an earlier 5th, but I could be off.

The Tribe won't touch Brooks, trust me. No way Lay**** lets Brooks come to Williamsburg.

Archived