Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Voting machines easier to rig than slot machines?

Joe Sick

It can still be hacked Larry.

After you vote for spock, the machine changes the vote to Kirk.

Then the audit shows 1700 Spock votes.

Are there places within the machines to keep the carbons and insure that they arent removed or simply fall out?

And at that point, we are right back to square one, why have a machine?

My own opinion is do it all by hand. We can wait a few weeks for election results.

The problem is, after I vote, the machine can't erase the carbon and re-print it as a Kirk vote. (The printer doesn't have an eraser.)

(And the printer I'm talking about retains a continuous roll of paper. Your receipt may be 2-3" long, and then you tear it off. The carbon simply produces a single roll of paper, 200' (or whatever) long.

(My business uses a very similar printer for credit card transactions. It prints an original and a carbon. I tear them both off, give both to the customer. He signs once (It's a carbon, so one signature gets both copies.) I keep the original, he gets the copy. The only difference with the voting machine is that after printing, only the original comes out of the machine and gets torn off. The carbon gets wound onto a spool.)

(I won't claim it's fraud-proof. For example, somebody could hack the electronic total, and produce a fraudulent carbon copy (perhaps borrow the actual printer, a month before the election) and switch the fake carbon for the real one sometime between election day and audit day. Drawbacks with that plan: The fraudmaster would have to fake thousands of records. And the fraudulent totals would have to agree with the actual number of votes cast. (And they'd still get caught if one old coot with nothing better to do keeps his receipt when he votes, and then goes down to the courthouse six months later to check the carbon personally.)

(Or, I could perform "receipt fraud": I'm a Spock activist. I think Spock is going to lose. So I go down, vote for Kirk, and get a "Kirk" receipt. Kirk wins. I then produce a fake Spock receipt. Then I begin screaming to my locak newspaper, waveing my fake Spock receipt, and pointing at the (real) carbon down at the courthouse that says I voted for Kirk. Drawbacks with that plan: I have to vote for Kirk, and my fake receipt has to stand inspection.)

Archived