Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The NFL cap...

dg28daman

Is so rediculasly stupid. Basically, all it does is cater to the Rooney's and Halas's. I'm tired of cheap owners getting an even playing feilds, even when they're not even. If you're not willing to spend the money, then don't be an owner. All the cap does is get in the way and make it so you can't keep a good team together. It makes it so Bill Bidwell always can be a cheapskate, and not look completely terrible for it. The NFL cap promotes mediocraty.

Well, that kind of goes along the line of revenue sharing, which was/is a big issue with the new CBA. What Mortenson suggested is that the NFL bring in a corporate accountant for all 32 teams, and figure out what revenue they ARE bringing in, along with the revenue that they SHOULD be bringing in. Then they would use the 2nd number to determine how the revenue sharing would work. This way it prevents teams such as the Redskins from having to share money with lesser franchises simply because they aren't working hard enough or doing a good enough job to bring the $$ in.

How asinine. If you were a Packers fan or a Steelers fan or a fan of any other team in a small market there's no way you would be saying this.

The Cardinals will always suck? Ya, along with the Raiders, 49ers, Steelers, Chiefs, Chargers, Saints, Titans, Packers, Lions, Ravens, Bengals, Vikings, Buccaneers, and Jaguars. EDIT: And the Colts and Bills. That's over half the League!

It's not just a question of an owner being cheap, it's a question of the owner having acccess to a revenue stream. This is why MLB sucks.

Even though I'd be cheering for the NFL's version of the Yankees (or maybe even especially because of it) I hope the NFL salary cap never disappears.

And BTW, the cheap owners are forced in this situation to spend a certain amount of money (the salary floor), so it's not like their just sitting back milking the system. They are forced to make an effort.

That said, guys like Bidwell should be forced out of the League, and also out of MLB for that matter.

The Salary cap is essential otherwise we would have teams like the brewers in baseball who will eternally suck because they can't complete with the big spenders.

Football is a game that should be played on the field. Eliminating the salary cap would take some of the competition out of the sport.

Want to know my thoughts on the salary cap as an Eagles fan?

Super Bowl wins pre-cap: 0

Super Bowl wins during the cap era: 0

Doesn't make a damn difference.

Actually it wouldn't make much of a difference in this division, as all 4 teams play in monster markets.

Grim, I seem to recall the 49ers and Steelers have 9 SB championships between them prior to the cap. I also remember the Steelers and their small market team walking away with a Lombardi this year.

The 49ers and the Steelers won their Super Bowls not only in the pre-cap era, but the pre-free agency era as well.

The San Francisco Bay area could not support two teams that could contend if teams like the Redskins were allowed to spend unchecked. Hell, it probably couldn't support one. Pittsburgh definately couldn't support any.

And I don't know what your point is about the Steelers winning the Super Bowl this year - they won because the cap allows them to compete. Unlike, say, the Pirates, who have a history nearly every bit as storied and glorious as the Steelers, but can no longer compete in any season because the market does not support a franchise that can spend like a MLB team needs to spend in order to win.

Is their owner cheap? Yeah, he is. But they can never put together a payroll like the Yankees, no matter how aggressive the owner.

QUOTE from GrimReefa: "How asinine. If you were a Packers fan or a Steelers fan or a fan of any other team in a small market there's no way you would be saying this."

Perhaps not so asinine when you consider the fact that the Steelers built a dynasty without a salary cap. But, someone already beat me to the point.

QUOTE from GrimReefa: "How asinine. If you were a Packers fan or a Steelers fan or a fan of any other team in a small market there's no way you would be saying this."

Perhaps not so asinine when you consider the fact that the Steelers built a dynasty without a salary cap. But, someone already beat me to the point.

Again, while there was no cap, there was also no free agency. The Steelers built their dynasty completely on their own draft picks. In the free agency era, those players will be leaving for the highest bidder after 4-6 years, and the highest bidder will never be a team like the Steelers, as long as teams like the Redskins and Cowboys are allowed to spend whatever they please.

It's not that difficult. If you want to know what the NFL will look like with no salary cap, all you have to do is look at MLB, where about 1/3 of the League has no chance to win a championship in the foreseeable future.

I think it's unfair to put Rooney in that category. He's a good owner and possiblly more than any other owner, has the leagues best interests foremost in his mind.

That being said, I have problems with guys like the Browns owner. This guy turned down several million a year in stadium naming rights because he wanted to name it after his dad. Great, yeah, touching and all but how the hell are you going to turn that down and then cry your eyes out because Dan won't share his naming rights' money? That's some ****ing crap. That's the real problem. It's one thing if they can't compete but if they refuse to use the same avenues that are available to everyone to increase revenue how can they say it unfair? They want to be able to do nothing, take no risks, live off the small market teams and collect welfair checks. It's bs.

Well, that kind of goes along the line of revenue sharing, which was/is a big issue with the new CBA. What Mortenson suggested is that the NFL bring in a corporate accountant for all 32 teams, and figure out what revenue they ARE bringing in, along with the revenue that they SHOULD be bringing in. Then they would use the 2nd number to determine how the revenue sharing would work. This way it prevents teams such as the Redskins from having to share money with lesser franchises simply because they aren't working hard enough or doing a good enough job to bring the $$ in.

Dont you think "great players" would want to play for "great fanchises" i.e. The Washington Redskins for less money built into thier contracts since they will be getting more money out of the revenue sharing?

Want to know my thoughts on the salary cap as an Eagles fan?

Super Bowl wins pre-cap: 0

Super Bowl wins during the cap era: 0

Doesn't make a damn difference.

You seem pretty cool even though you are a Eagles fan. Just wondering, not saying you should go elsewhere. What draws you to Extremeskins and why are you not at a Eagles board?

Archived