Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

vargas thread?

turtle

Guest sith lord

I just think Vargas is one of those fighters that's better than any B fighter, but not quite on the level of an A fighter. And I don't know what fight the judges were watching, two of them actually had Vargas ahead by one point.

Vargas is done, especially if he wants to move up to middleweight. He did have big wins in his career against Ike Quartey (when he still a monster) and Winky Wright. Maybe we see Vargas/Wright II after Wright's match against Jermain Taylor?

Shane is too small to fight at 154 (he was getting pushed around the ring), but you have to consider him dangerous back down at 147. Shane said he wants Floyd, but if it goes down he'll probably get schooled. Floyd will be faster and have too much boxing skill for him. That would be a big money fight for both guys, but rumors indicate Floyd and De La Hoya are gonna fight next should they win their next matchups.

I think its a tough call....Shane would be REALLY strong at 47....plus he can still move around pretty good and combine that with great speed (not Mayweather speed but great speed) it would be one of the toughest fights yet for floyd....I really wonder if Floyd's jab can keep Shane off of him...cause thats the way to beat Shane... a long, stong, stiff jab (Aka Wright and Forrest)...Floyd's jab is quick and stiff I dont think at 47 its strong like Forrest and Wright. To me if Floyd has ANY trouble with Judah's power.....he'll get straight toasted by Shane.....I'm not convinced 147 is Floyd's natural weight class (ex. Shane at 154....) Even though he said he would whip anybody under 160. :2cents:

Vargas is done, especially if he wants to move up to middleweight. He did have big wins in his career against Ike Quartey (when he still a monster) and Winky Wright. Maybe we see Vargas/Wright II after Wright's match against Jermain Taylor?

Shane is too small to fight at 154 (he was getting pushed around the ring), but you have to consider him dangerous back down at 147. Shane said he wants Floyd, but if it goes down he'll probably get schooled. Floyd will be faster and have too much boxing skill for him. That would be a big money fight for both guys, but rumors indicate Floyd and De La Hoya are gonna fight next should they win their next matchups.

I'd like to add that Vargas really put forth a good effort last night and had a good gameplan, but the defense was atrocious last night. I don't like him, but I wouldn't rule him out yet. He could become a belt holder again one day, and will always be a pretty big draw. Plus he's still pretty young.

I felt he lost the Wright fight and the Quartey fight, he's never won a single big fight in my opinion. But he puts forth the type of effort that will allow him to continue to be recycled over and over again.

I agree, Shane is going to be VERY dangerous at 147. Mayweather-Mosley would be a great fight to watch. I don't think Mayweather possesses the qualities that Mosley has struggled with in the past. It'd be a very tough fight for Pretty Boy, I'd favor Mosley.

Yeah, I spoke to soon in saying that Floyd would "school" Shane, but I do think Floyd wins the fight by unanimous decision based off his superior defense (Shane has none) and his speed. I agree though, that his would be Pretty Boys toughest test to date. Mosley beats everyone else at 147 including Margarito, Hatton and Cotto. Floyd can fling the jab out there, and still land enough of his straight rights to the head. If Vargas couldn't hurt Shane, I seriously doubt Floyd does. The Judah fight in April should show us a lot of what we need to know about Floyd at 147. I believe Floyd can fight comfortably and win at 147, but if he goes to 154 he'll have gone too far. The only way I see Floyd going to Jr. Middle is for mega $$$.

If Vargas keeps to his word that last night was his last fight at 154 I dont see him taking any of the titles seriously. He'll probably land a fight with Taylor or Wright off the strength of his name, and subsequentally get his ass beat again (DLH/Tito style). Vargas is either 28 or 29, but his ring age is well beyond that. Vargas's best days were 6+ years ago. He has not been the same at all since the Tito fight. I see Fernando getting mopped up by most of the top middleweights. He against Soliman or Ouma would be great fights to make.

Floyd is the better boxer, but can he handle an all out attack from shane?

Because that's exactly what I would tell him to do, "Don't box him, go in there and put him in the corner and beat his azz!"

I don't think Floyd can hurt Shane, but if Shane doesn't move right, Floyd can stay off of the ropes and corners and box Shanes ears off.

It would probably look something like a mini "Rumble in the Jungle".

This fight was a better fight than I expected coming in. I can never complain about that, but the fight I'm really looking forward to is this Saturday. Lacy/Calzaghe live from England. It's airing at 3AM English time, 9PM Eastern time. I'm really surprised this fight is actually going to come off seeing as Pemberton has always found ways to wiggle out of fights. It should be a great one. I'd love to see Lacy score a KO as he seems to be a good dude with a very entertaining style. This is definitely the defining point of Lacy's young career. A win here and he's on to big things in his career. I'd love to see him take out Tarver if BHop doesn't.

Archived