Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone have experience with Windows XP Media Center edition?

Baculus

I was thinking about installing this on a computer that just experienced a hdd failure, but I wasn't too familiar with this version of Windows XP. The computer on which I am contemplating installing the software is a gaming computer, so I want to make sure I install an OS that would be good for that purpose. Thus, is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 good for gaming playing? Is it basically Windows XP with a few additional bells and whistles?

Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

Yeah I have Windows XP Media Center Edition and I LOVE it. I watch, and record t.v. all the time. The Media Center itself is very polished and fun to play with. I have some problems with gaming (freezes sometimes) but I think thats because I got a 'display' type, since this was the last one available at Circuit City at the time, had the graphics card replaced but it still freezes (says thread got stuck in device driver; somethin like that). But I think thats just my hardware not the software program itself. Overall, yeah...I recommend it, def.

Have it on my new laptop. I've only had it a couple of weeks, but appears to be as you mentioned: XP with extra bells and whistles.

The only recent game I have played on it is Civ IV, which runs fine. I got a TV tuner with the laptop, and Media Center configured it and set up the channel listing (DirectTV) automatically.

My experience with it is limited, but would seem to be worth getting.

The only recent game I have played on it is Civ IV, which runs fine. I got a TV tuner with the laptop, and Media Center configured it and set up the channel listing (DirectTV) automatically.

Good news for me!!! One of the reasons for the new desktop I'm getting is the fact the old one can't run Civ IV worth a damn.

Archived