Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst team to ever make the Super Bowl?

LeesburgSkinFan

I think you have to judge the teams not based on their record but based on who they played to get to that spot. In the NCAA, do we consider an undefeated division 2 team better than a division one that lost 2 games or even one than lost 6? If every team played the same strength of schedule then number on wins are much more important. In college we judge a team by their record and who they played because of the fact they rarely played the same teams. In terms of ranking a team’s quality, why should we judge the pro's any different? I like the playoff format we have in the NFL but when it comes to judging one years Superbowl teams to another years Superbowl teams you need to take their path into consideration. That being said, look no further than this years Seattle Seahawks. They had the easiest schedule of any team (32 out of 32). Didn't beat a team with a winning record on the road all year (0-2), in fact haven’t won on the road against a winning team since 2002. They were the only team in their division not to lose at least 10 games. They didn't even have to play a team above a 5 seed and won't in the playoffs. They deserve 100% to be in the Superbowl, but they are easily one of if not the weakest team to make it.
The problem with that is that the NCAA system is complete and total trash. If you gave the recent Patriot teams and easy schedule does that mean they are a weaker team? No. Not at all. It means a really friggin good team played some bad teams. Blind luck. There are no division 2 teams in the NFL and NFL teams have no say in who they play.

What we do know is that the Panthers tore the two teams they played in the playoffs apart.....only to be humiliated by the seahawks. Strength of schedule doesn't say a team is bad, all it says is that you can't be SURE how good they really are.

No it really doesn't, especially when you have an offense that goes FIVE straight games without scoring a touchdown (that seems almost impossible; and then to win the Super Bowl). A couple of years ago ESPN.com did a poll of their readers and sports writers and asked a similar question. The question was "What are the 10 worst world championship teams of all time" (in all of the different sports)? Obviously I don't remember all of the teams but number 1 was the Patriots first championship team and number 2 was the 2000 Ravens.
I have to disagree comepletely. They gave up 23 points **TOTAL** in the playoffs INCLUDING the superbowl. That's 5.7 points a game average in the postseason. They won every postseason game by an average of 18 points.

Strength of schedule doesn't say a team is bad, all it says is that you can't be SURE how good they really are.

Doesn't their ability or lack there of to beat a winning team away from Washington speak to their quality? They have a great home field advantage, between a loud fan base and a stadium built to accomidate them as well a a dreadfull trip to the edge of civilization that any team has to endure when playing there. Home field advantage doesn't really speak to the quality of the team. I think you learn more about great teams on the road than you do when they play at home.

Hard to say.....

But I CAN tell you who the greatest team ever to lose a Super Bowl was:

1983 Redskins. Broke my heart!!!!!!!!!!

-Defending Super Bowl Champs

-14-2

-Lost 2 games by a total of 2 points (both on Monday night 48-47 Green Bay and 31-30 to Dallas)

-NFL Record 541 points scored in the season

-John Riggins 24 TD's in a season set record

- I think they had the #1 defense in the league as well- not sure- but they were nasty (aside from Anthony Washington at corner)

- Destroyed Dickerson and the Rams 51-7 in div. playoff

- Beat Montana and the Niners in the NFC Champ

- God knows how many Pro Bowlers were on the team...I'd guess 5 to 7 guys.

- Beat the Raiders during the regular season

And then they got absolutely crushed in the SB! The game was over at halftime thanks to that unknown bum Jack Squirek. That team has been completely forgotten and I would argue that they were just as good- if not even better than the 1991 team.....

Such a shame.

Archived