Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs as GM?

neongel

Gibbs is also Team President so when he retires from coaching he doesn't have to retire from his front office duties, that is unless of course he wants too. When Gibbs does step down and assuming he keeps his title of Team President, I see things running the way the are now, with the three headed attack of Gibbs, Cerato, and Gregg Williams.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

An interesting notion ... and not altogether unappealing, given the clear mutual respect/meeting of the minds that Gibbs and Williams have displayed to date.

Still, my sense is still that, when Gibbs does finally decide to step down as HC, he's more likely to remain on in a broader, administrative capacity, than in a strictly personnel role like GM. Not that he won't be involved in player evals, but probably not to the degree you generally envision for a classic GM.

Pure speculation though.

Ideally, I think when Gibbs "steps down", the team will be run very similarly except for offensive playcalling. The defense would still be Gregg Williams' brainchild, but Williams would have greater coaching responsiblities, and maybe he would hire an offensive coordinator as well. It seems that what Gibbs wants to do is retain all the same responsibilities except the actual coaching, which would then encompass being a GM along with the rest of the front office.

I imagine it would sort of be like Pat Riley giving his coaching duties to Stan van Gundy and become team president, I guess. But Gibbs wouldn't retake the coaching reigns after two years and force Gregg Williams to resign. :D

All this requires Gregg Williams and the rest of the coaching staff to want to remain Redskins, of course. And why wouldn't they - they could win superbowls and get paid richly by our great organization. :)

I thought that he was our "gm" just with a slightly different title/extra responsibilities. Does Cerrato answer to Gibbs then or the other way around?

I'm not sure exactly what his current GM duties do and do not include, but I guess I was wondering more about after he's done coaching and if he might do GM stuff exclusively. If he plans and spending more time on his NASCAR team can he have any position with the Redskins other than a "consulting" one? And what about becoming a minority owner? It just seems that when he's involved, good things happen, so I assume Snyder wants to keep him involved.

Why not, he see's talent that other coaches just dont know they have. Look at Santana Moss for example, the Jets never even knew what they had there in 4 years but Gibbs showed it in one. Also getting Portis, Taylor and Rogers, in just 2 years were only a few players short of a SuperBowl team again.

I think he keep his Team President title, but really act as a consultant.

During the preseason and football season. I think he'll be active in the team. During the offseason, I think he'll split his time with family and Nascar.

Having him represent the team at league meetings is nothing but gravy. He's got respect.

I remember when he 1st came back and there was some coaches meeting. He stood up and the John Gruden said the room went silent for him to talk. Compared Gibbs to Mick Jager or something.

gibbs will probably stay on with the administrative part of the team after he's done coaching. the only reason he would leave was if he was going to run his nascar team full time (pray he stays:D ). one other idea i had was what if with all his newfound money he bought a chunk of the team and was snyder's "second-in-comand"? how cool, and interesting, would that be!:)

Archived