Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The lessons we learned from Brett Conway in '01 that we should with JohnHall now

goldenster95

I'm still upset about Novak. I usually agree with Gibbs' decisions, but I really hated that idea. We had a franchise kicker fall in our laps (maybe it's a little premature, but I think he's quality) and we let him go. :doh:

This is why I tell people not to hold to some view of an infallible Gibbs. That's not to detract or diminish his impact and his greatness. But we don't even need to reach back to Howard or McCardell or Humphries, we got something this year.

Lots of people on this board didn't like that we cut Novak and our season came down to a gimpy John Hall. Maybe Novak misses too, but we should have kept one guy for kickoffs(even though Novak kicked short, he usually got it up high) and one for FGs.

It's OK to question something that doesn't seem like the right decision. I don't think cutting Novak at that point in the season was right.

Trust your own gut if it's screaming at you, is my point.

Problem is the "upper end of his range" is now somewhere around 38 yards. If the guy could get healthy again, he will return to being an outstanding player.

About Nick Novak. It is way too early to call him a franchise kicker. I just thought his start here was amazingly similar to his start at UMD where he went on to be a Lou Groza finalist (I think 2x but am not sure).

Everybody that keeps suggessting Connor Hughes. The guy is definitely a good kicker, but saying we should spend a 3rd rounder on a kicker is just ridiculous, especially considering the other issues we need to address. Like you said, you just never know what you are going to get from a young kicker (see Kaeding blowing it for the Bolts last year).

He kicked a 48 yarder against Tampa Bay in the 1st round of the playoffs.Probably woud have been good from just over 50.Let's not forget the 51 yarder he kicked against the Jets which won his 1st game as a Redskin.As I said before,when healthy he is very steady.

Archived