Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skip Hicks was cut (NM)

scottb

people will never fail to see the light with guys like Hicks and Westbrook. they see athletic ability and raw measureables and just assume all they need is a little better coaching or a 'change of scenery' and everything will be different for them :laugh:

Westbrook is working on his 8th year of 'tomorrows' while Hicks has yet to prove he can do more than come off the bench and shine for a few games and then disappear again.

remember he did the same thing here in DC after '98. he came to camp and ran indifferently in the preseason and ended up as the disgruntled backup for a year and then was released after the Jets refused to trade even a middle pick for him :)

who should really be surprised by this?

another guy you can add to this list is Albert Connell.

face it, these guys are just lacking something in their attitude and approach to the game that has prevented them from making the most of their opportunities.

it is rare when people change that much. every once in awhile you see a player like Cris Carter that was headed down the road of oblivion from the NFL with off the field or behavioral problems and managed to catch himself and turn it around.

for most of these guys a poor attitude and a weak work ethic are things they dont' overcome but just perpetuate when they go to their next club.

What bulldog said.

Still, Hicks makes a better backup RB than most. What surprises me is that the Titans have no one of note backing up Eddie George, who's had a tough time staying healthy and effective the last couple of years. Like Westbrook, Hicks will catch on in a place that feels weak at RB, like Indy for example.

I was pleased we drafted Hicks and I kept thinking he'd come around but as Bulldog noted, there are players with great talent that just aren't able to respond when their game shows weaknesses.

I got to watch Hicks as a 'change of pace' back with the Titans last year. Even though the Titans have had a pretty good offensive line, Hicks really wasn't able to run between tackles. It was that same need to get it outside that killed him in Washington. Add to that the fact that we wasn't an enthusiastic blocker and it cost him. The Titans settled on Holcombe, who isn't the runner Skip is and doesn't catch the ball as well, but he'll block and he'll get you a tough 2 yards inside.

Archived