Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: NO STRIKE - baseball will go on...

grrrr... this means more baseball, less football... :cuss: :shootinth

ARTICLE

No strike: Players, MLB agree on deal through 2006

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball and its players have averted a strike and, after an all-night negotiation session, have agreed to a new four-year contract.

The tentative agreement is through the 2006 season.

"There is no strike,'' said Atlanta pitcher Tom Glavine, the National League player representative.

Commissioner Bud Selig and union head Donald Fehr attended a morning bargaining session that wrapped up the agreement. It was the first time in nine rounds of labor talks since 1972 that baseball avoided a work stoppage.

No agreement had been signed, but the sides planned to announce the new pact at a 1 p.m. ET news conference.

As part of a settlement, owners agreed not to eliminate teams through the 2006 season, a management official said on condition he not be identified. Owners attempted to fold the Montreal Expos and Minnesota Twins after last season but were stopped by Minnesota courts.

Player representatives were informed just before noon ET, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

As the hours dwindled, lawyers had shuttled between the commissioner's office and union headquarters, crunching numbers and exchanging revised proposals.

Two lawyers from each side bargained until 2 a.m. before the sides broke for caucuses. Players gave owners a proposal during a 20-minute meeting that began at 4 a.m., and owners responded with a counteroffer about 6:30 a.m. The union returned with a response at 9:15 a.m.

The final meeting, which completed talks that began in January, lasted almost three hours. As soon as it ended, teams started heading to ballparks.

The first game of the day -- St. Louis at Chicago, scheduled for 3:20 p.m. ET, will go on as scheduled. The Cardinals have boarded their buses and were on their way to Wrigley Field.

Long before noon, game preparations were under way there, with workers at the ballpark setting up traffic cones and three ticket windows open. The grounds crew set up equipment.

Cubs interim manager Bruce Kimm and Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan arrived at Wrigley Field ready for work, and St. Louis manager Tony La Russa was headed to the ballpark. The Cardinals have left and are on their way to Wrigley Field.

In Boston, Red Sox players boarded a bus outside Fenway Park for a trip to the airport, where they were to catch a charter flight to Cleveland for Friday night's game. The Red Sox had waited four hours before getting clearance from the union to travel to the game.

"The reason we set a strike date was to get something done, and we did,'' said John McDonald, the Cleveland Indians' player representative.

McDonald got the word from Tony Bernazard, a special assistant to the players' union.

"He said, 'We're playing tonight','' McDonald said. "That's all I wanted to hear. That's all any baseball player wanted to hear. Everyone should be thrilled.''

With the deal, owners gained their most significant concessions in 26 years from a union that became one of the most powerful in the nation. The players' association has lifted the average salary of its members from $51,501 in 1976 _ the last year before free agency _ to $2.38 million this season.

As part of the agreement, high-revenue teams will have to share a far larger percentage of their locally generated money, and a luxury tax will be levied on high-payroll teams to discourage spending.

Since the last strike in 1994-95, a 232-day stoppage that forced cancellation of the World Series for the first time since 1904, the New York Yankees have won four world championships. For that very reason, commissioner Bud Selig and many team owners said they needed changes to restore competitive balance.

The mid-market teams figure to be the biggest winners in the deal, receiving much more of the their competitors' money.

The biggest losers are the Yankees, who generate the most money in baseball. The Yankees and other high-revenue teams will have to pay tens of millions of dollars to subsidize their competitors, and they may have to raise ticket prices to cover the increased revenue sharing.

"It's going to affect a lot of teams with high payrolls, there's no question about that,'' Yankees pitcher Steve Karsay said.

A walkout threatened the final 31 days and 438 games of the regular season, and fans were angry at players and owners for their repeated quarrels over a business that generates $3.5 billion annually.

"It was close. I was about to make my flight arrangements to go home,'' Cubs outfielder Roosevelt Brown said.

Fans tossed about a half-dozen foul balls back onto the field during Anaheim's 6-1 win over Tampa Bay, the last game played Thursday night. Many of the 18,820 fans chanted "Don't Strike, Don't Strike'' during the seventh-inning stretch, and when the game ended, some of them threw debris on the field.

I really find it impossible to give a rat's a$$ about baseball, but then I'm only a casual fan to begin with. I don't particularly like watching it on TV, and trying to follow a game on the radio is death for me. All we've heard about this year is contraction, steroids and strike, and now we get to listen to them pat each other on the back for the rest of the season and tell us how great they are for deciding to keep taking the fans' money. Maybe the hardcores feel differently, but for people like me, the damage has long been done. To hell with 'em :mad: The only people I feel good for are the concessionaires and other people at the stadiums who rely on the game to put food on the table.

Archived