Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Searching for new Redskins.....

desertfox59

Just thought I'd start a thread about searching for the newer members. Since so many of the seasoned members are always complaining about its' lack of use but never offering any constructive guides or tips to using it I thought I'd start this thread.

One suggestion, to the mods...maybe if there wasn't a 90 sec time limit between searches, more members would use it. Just a thought.

You can search for posts based on username, word(s) in the post or just in the subject, by date, and only in particular forums.

To access the search feature, click on the "search" link at the top of most pages.

You can search any forum that you have permission to search - you will not be allowed to search through private forums unless the administrator has given you the necessary security rights to do so.

tips or tricks welcome.

I'm just trying to create a thread where the experienced user can do something constructive about the searching instead of just complaining and telling everyone to use the search button.....If someone doesn't know how...or if it is taking too long hopefully they can get answers here.....I'm just trying.

:peace1:

I think its a nice effort, but Im not so sure it will help. I think most of the people who start duplicate threads do so out of a need for attention. There are several Ive noticed who dont ever post in anyone elses threads, but start hundreds of them many of them with banal subjects.

If the new user doesnt want to duplicate a thread thats already been started, the first rule of thumb is if you just saw it on sports center or read a news story about it chances are theres already a thread on it. If you dont see it on the front page chances are no one cares about it and its been bumped off.

The real trick to a high traffic message board like this one is to post in threads instead of creating threads if your new. You get a feel for the rythym of the board, and how stuff goes on. It works for me, but Im not the smartest man in the country so I really dont have the reservior of knowledge to dip into to create several threads.

As to the reset time on the searchs, I wager they have to have that so their database isnt getting slammed all the time keeping the site moving. Thats really just a guess.

I think the best thing new posters can do is post in existing threads more than creating threads, after awhile they will get the hang of it.

I think its a nice effort, but Im not so sure it will help. I think most of the people who start duplicate threads do so out of a need for attention. There are several Ive noticed who dont ever post in anyone elses threads, but start hundreds of them many of them with banal subjects.

If the new user doesnt want to duplicate a thread thats already been started, the first rule of thumb is if you just saw it on sports center or read a news story about it chances are theres already a thread on it. If you dont see it on the front page chances are no one cares about it and its been bumped off.

The real trick to a high traffic message board like this one is to post in threads instead of creating threads if your new. You get a feel for the rythym of the board, and how stuff goes on. It works for me, but Im not the smartest man in the country so I really dont have the reservior of knowledge to dip into to create several threads.

As to the reset time on the searchs, I wager they have to have that so their database isnt getting slammed all the time keeping the site moving. Thats really just a guess.

I think the best thing new posters can do is post in existing threads more than creating threads, after awhile they will get the hang of it.

I did do a search to see if anything was up about this topic....but came up empty, otherwise I would have posted in that thread....I think you might be right about the data base not getting overun but the shorter that search time the better....All in all good post....you're right I probably am just :gus::gus::gus::gus::gus::gus:.....but I figured it was better than just complaining like some here seem to love to do.

You again? searching is not hard...it's so ridiculously simple that it shouldn't need to be explained. You say you started the thread because you thought it was better than complaining.....you complain a lot yourself (i.e. the search button) so woudn't you be the one that loves to do it?

You again? searching is not hard...it's so ridiculously simple that it shouldn't need to be explained. You say you started the thread because you thought it was better than complaining.....you complain a lot yourself (i.e. the search button) so woudn't you be the one that loves to do it?

I know it's not hard....I do it all the time....if it is so ridiculously simple than how come so many of you are complaining about people starting threads with the excuse that they aren't searching for similar threads...? where is your tip or trick to make it easier on the new members.....god why am I even responding to you?????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you dont see it on the front page chances are no one cares about it and its been bumped off.

..or because some newby attention seeker is either too lazy to:

a/. search for an existing thread, or

b/. can't be bothered to at least scan the first four pages to see if there is an existing thread.

I got caught out on a/. the other day as the search database was down, and when I scanned the first four pages, I couldn't find the topic I started. However, I did manage to find the topic on page five, even though it had been started the same day.

I did do a search to see if anything was up about this topic....but came up empty, otherwise I would have posted in that thread....I think you might be right about the data base not getting overun but the shorter that search time the better....All in all good post....you're right I probably am just :gus::gus::gus::gus::gus::gus:.....but I figured it was better than just complaining like some here seem to love to do.

You've obviously forgotten about the moron thread!

Archived